2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
I pointed out that any team in the NL Central except maybe St. Louis would have Colon as a 3 or a 4 at worst. Seems some teams just do not care to win.

Gotta disagree, the Cubs have the best starting pitching depth in the NLC. They don't have a true ace but their 1-5 when healthy is very serviceable and is really what has carried them this year with their lack of hitting. The Cards have two very good SP, mediocre 3&4's and no #5. However the best 1-2 now belongs to Philly (Lee, Hamels).

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
Gotta disagree, the Cubs have the best starting pitching depth in the NLC. They don't have a true ace but their 1-5 when healthy is very serviceable and is really what has carried them this year with their lack of hitting. The Cards have two very good SP, mediocre 3&4's and no #5. However the best 1-2 now belongs to Philly (Lee, Hamels).

While I agree the Cubs pitching staff has been sensational this year, you're underrating Pineiro big time. He's had a great year for the Cards. Also, Hamels hasn't been very good this season. I'd say that Carpenter/Wainwright are pretty easily the best 1/2 in the NL along with Lincecum and Cain.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)

Z is Z

Lilly, Dempster and haren are no longer sure thingsthe rest of the way

Wells, Hart, etc. I am not sold on

Carpenter, Wainwright and Pinerio are better right now than anythign the cub are putting out there except maybe Zambrano. Lohse could be rightthere but with his health I will put him in the Lilliy, Dempster group.

Duncan and LaRussa are as good as they get.....Pinella seems to be happy getting paid.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Reed Johnson, Cubs fans version of Aaron Rowand, breaks his foot, out for a month

I thought it was Mark DeRosa that was their version of Rowand?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
I thought it was Mark DeRosa that was their version of Rowand?

Mark DeRosa didnt dive all over the place and constantly crash into walls to make the fans think he was better at defense than he actually was.

I guess Johnson & Rowand work out together in the off-season so I guess it would make sense why they are both like that.

Although you are right, when DeRosa & Rowand got traded, the fans thought they were the sole reason the teams struggled, which was obviously wrong.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Z is Z

Lilly, Dempster and haren are no longer sure thingsthe rest of the way

Wells, Hart, etc. I am not sold on

Carpenter, Wainwright and Pinerio are better right now than anythign the cub are putting out there except maybe Zambrano. Lohse could be rightthere but with his health I will put him in the Lilliy, Dempster group.

Duncan and LaRussa are as good as they get.....Pinella seems to be happy getting paid.

We'll agree to disagree. Pinerio is 9-9 this year, Lohse hasn't been very good and Wellenmeyer flat out sucks. I'd take anyone on the Cubs staff over Pinerio too. Thought I'm not fond of the Cubs, I'll give them their due when it comes to starting pitching....they're pretty good and that staff has kept them in it when they weren't hitting for over 2 months. They really should be about 10 games out because of their season long power outage.

As impressive as the DeRosa and Holiday moves were for the Cards O, they still have major pitching concerns. Aside from their top 2 and Franklin as their closer, nothing else is impressive. They're very similar to last years Brewers. They got a squad that can get to the post-season just not very far unless they get some more pitching help. Like I said with the Cliff Lee trade I think the NL is a one horse race right now. You can have your Dodgers, Cards, Cubs, Rox, whoever....Philly is head and shoulders the best team in the NL and maybe the league.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
We'll agree to disagree. Pinerio is 9-9 this year, Lohse hasn't been very good and Wellenmeyer flat out sucks. I'd take anyone on the Cubs staff over Pinerio too. Thought I'm not fond of the Cubs, I'll give them their due when it comes to starting pitching....they're pretty good and that staff has kept them in it when they weren't hitting for over 2 months. They really should be about 10 games out because of their season long power outage.

As impressive as the DeRosa and Holiday moves were for the Cards O, they still have major pitching concerns. Aside from their top 2 and Franklin as their closer, nothing else is impressive. They're very similar to last years Brewers. They got a squad that can get to the post-season just not very far unless they get some more pitching help. Like I said with the Cliff Lee trade I think the NL is a one horse race right now. You can have your Dodgers, Cards, Cubs, Rox, whoever....Philly is head and shoulders the best team in the NL and maybe the league.

His ERA is at like 2.88.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)

? win loss records often don't reflect how well a pitcher is throwing.

Pujols just won the game in the bottom of the 15th. Cards came back twice, once in bottom of 9th and then 11th...

The best the Cubs could hope for at the end of 4 at home with Astros while Cards had 4 at home with the Dodgers is to push in the standings

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 12:10 AM)
Pujols just won the game in the bottom of the 15th. Cards came back twice, once in bottom of 9th and then 11th...

The best the Cubs could hope for at the end of 4 at home with Astros while Cards had 4 at home with the Dodgers is to push in the standings

LaRussa and Duncan are so underrated in what they get out of their players. Cooper is turning into this as well.

The Cardinals are always a threat and I get the feeling they may make another move by the end of the deadline.

For the NL the cubs schedule gets harder from here on out.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 12:10 AM)

I thought they were in LA...still impressive.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
I thought they were in LA...still impressive.

The Astros just love to have starting pitchers who were good in 1999. Russ Ortiz is pitching batting practice today. Maybe we should deal Bartolo to them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)
Mark DeRosa didnt dive all over the place and constantly crash into walls to make the fans think he was better at defense than he actually was.

I guess Johnson & Rowand work out together in the off-season so I guess it would make sense why they are both like that.

Although you are right, when DeRosa & Rowand got traded, the fans thought they were the sole reason the teams struggled, which was obviously wrong.

I still wonder why we never got Reed Johnson.

link

Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano was pulled from Saturday's game against the Marlins after three innings because of stiffness in his back.

Zambrano had given up two runs, one earned, on three hits and walked three before he was pulled with the Cubs leading, 6-2. It was his shortest start of the season.

In the third inning, he hit Hanley Ramirez on the left knee wiht a pitch, then got the next two batters out. Cubs manager Lou Piniella went to the mound to talk to Zambrano, who stayed in the game and gave up an RBI single to Jeremy Hermida, then struck out Cody Ross.