2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
Wow, Cubs announcers talking s*** about how Koye Hill would kill Nunez if there was a fight. Theyre complaining about Nunez celebrating last night. Do they ever watch Soriano or Ramirez?

Or Zambrano or Marmol.

There were some rumors that we went after Cody Ross (or so I read on ESPN). He's a really good player. He's got a good glove in center and he has a lot of power for a guy his size. I really don't care that he makes more outs than the average player, his slugging% makes up for it. His UZR/150 was an amazing 18.3 in center last year. For some reason, he's fallen off a bit this year.

I think we should go after him in the off-season since we still need a center fielder for next year. He shouldn't be that expensive as he's going to be 30 next year.

Edited by chw42

The Cubs have actually played 5 fewer games than the Cardinals? Man, how is that possible?

That really puts the Cubs in good position. It's worrysome to me also that Detroit has played three fewer games than us. They have nothing to lose in those games.

I wonder how important that cubs-sox makeup game will be in September? Could be an emotional game.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:17 PM)
That really puts the Cubs in good position. It's worrysome to me also that Detroit has played three fewer games than us. They have nothing to lose in those games.

I wonder how important that cubs-sox makeup game will be in September? Could be an emotional game.

I would think they have everything to lose in those games, since the sox wont be playing, they have to win or they will lose ground in the race.

People talk about games back in the loss column, but you cant just assume that a team is going to win those extra games. The Cubs have those 5 extra, but going 3-2 in those games only gains half a game in the standings.

If both teams are in heated races in September, that makeup game could definitely be the most intense sox-cubs game since interleague play started.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 07:51 AM)
I would think they have everything to lose in those games, since the sox wont be playing, they have to win or they will lose ground in the race.

People talk about games back in the loss column, but you cant just assume that a team is going to win those extra games. The Cubs have those 5 extra, but going 3-2 in those games only gains half a game in the standings.

If both teams are in heated races in September, that makeup game could definitely be the most intense sox-cubs game since interleague play started.

also, in baseball extra games, especially 5, mean either more games without off days or double headers. Doubleheaders are hard to sweep, ignore how easy the Sox made it for the Tigers last week, and many games in a row can kill a bullpen, especially one that's been up and down like the Cubs.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
also, in baseball extra games, especially 5, mean either more games without off days or double headers. Doubleheaders are hard to sweep, ignore how easy the Sox made it for the Tigers last week, and many games in a row can kill a bullpen, especially one that's been up and down like the Cubs.

Esp. with guys like Lilly, Zambrano, and Dempster randomly showing health related issues.

I actually went a really long time this year ignoring the Cubs but im starting to follow them a little. I'd have to say that my baseball watching experience was a lot better when I forgot about them.

Randy Wells dominating again, even though it's against an AAA lineup. What the hell is it with the Cubs and these career minor leaguers who come up to the majors and do so good? Wells, Fox, Soto have are all older players who were never really prospects (Soto wasn't until his monster year in Iowa two seasons ago).

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
Randy Wells dominating again, even though it's against an AAA lineup. What the hell is it with the Cubs and these career minor leaguers who come up to the majors and do so good? Wells, Fox, Soto have are all older players who were never really prospects (Soto wasn't until his monster year in Iowa two seasons ago).

Soto has already been exposed. Wells and Fox have no real long-term value (Fox may as a DH in the AL, Wells is just a total fluke).

And Willy Taveras is just f***ing bad. He got off to a decent start. But wow! He's awful.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
Dipsh*t in Cincy has a sign that says "Wrigley Field South". Someone needs a geography lesson.

Just goes to show you that Cubs fans never got through high school.