2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
Well, we just saw the biggest douche bag in history. With the beer being thrown at Victorino, couldn't that be fan interference and the runners not be allowed to advance?

I was thinking the same exact thing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 10:07 PM)
Well, we just saw the biggest douche bag in history. With the beer being thrown at Victorino, couldn't that be fan interference and the runners not be allowed to advance?

Probably if it wasn't hit so deep. It's one of those judgement calls that no one is throwing out anyone trying to tag from there so they let it be. I'm sure if he dropped it though they would have called it a dead ball and called the batter out.

But yeah, what a douche that fan was. Hopefully charges are pressed.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
One of the greatest fans in the world just dumped a full beer on Shane Victorino as he caught a sacrifice fly. Very classy.

Wrigley's finest on display.

It would be great if this led to the banishment of home run balls being tossed back onto the field.

A whole lot of Cubs fans think they are the center of the baseball universe. I sat there and listened to one of my Cub fan buddies telling me that this was hilarious. Something doesn't take a Cubbie blue bounce? (101 seasons, for instance) Let's throw s*** at our beloved dumpster of a ballpark and it'll all be good!

Vermin.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

That guy probably had been watching the super classy Mexican fans throw stuff at the other team all day and figured he could do it too.

Last night was one of the best times I've ever had at Wrigley, with getting to see Pedro pitch, seeing a domer get rocked, and just the gloom and despair all the fans were showing while the Phillies were having BP in the 4th, good times!

Typical, over-privledged, Cub-fan p****. AFter he throws the cup, and security comes for him, he sat on the ground like 'I'm not going'. This organization iseasily the s***tiest in baseball. Maybe today everyone will throw their beer cups on the field.

Edited by tonyho7476

Good work Cubs, they didnt even find the right guy

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....gets-away-.html

Wrigley Field fan who soaked Victorino gets away

By Paul Sullivan

The unknown fan who tossed a beer onto Philadelphia outfielder Shane Victorino during the fifth inning of Wednesday night's game managed to escape without getting caught.

The Cubs still hope to identify the fan and prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law, but will need the help of other Cubs fans to find him.

The incident happened when Victorino caught a sacrifice fly off Jake Fox's bat in the fifth inning. A fan in the left-center field bleachers tossed his beer sideways onto the field, soaking Victorino. Another fan began taunting Victorino and was thought to be the beer-tosser. Security guards arrived at the scene and took the taunting fan down to the holding room underneath the bleachers.

But by the time they looked at the WGN-TV video and realized the taunting fan was not the beer tosser, the fan who actually threw the beer managed to get up and slip out of the ballpark.

The Cubs are working with the Chicago Police Department to try and find the fan, and plan to release the photograph on Thursday in hopes that someone will identify him. General manager Jim Hendry and manager Lou Piniella apologized to the Phillies and Victorino for the incident.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
Let's put this guys picture out there to keep him in the spotlight.

Let it f***ing go.

THe Budweiser Blechers will never have beer sales bannedand this will continue to happen. Security at that park is nonexistant.

Absolutely not.

They need to set a precedent with that guy. If they do just let it go it is a way of condoning what he did and saying that actions such as his will be tolerated.

Not the right way to handle it at all. Especially since it was on ESPN for the entire country to see.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
Absolutely not.

They need to set a precedent with that guy. If they do just let it go it is a way of condoning what he did and saying that actions such as his will be tolerated.

Not the right way to handle it at all. Especially since it was on ESPN for the entire country to see.

And I am sure they will be there to cover whatever happens to him like they did with Randy Myers, Chad Kruter and the guy that took the run at Howry.

I agree he should get busted charged with a felony and spend a few days in jail but to give him any more air time is laughable. They had their chance to get him and they screwed it up.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
Absolutely not.

Completely agree. The organization and the police are doing the right thing to try to find this guy and set an example. The small minority of fans who do this s*** ruin it for everyone else, and I hope they find him and prosecute him. I hope they publish the picture soon.

And you really can't fault the Cubs organization here anyway. Some jackass fan does something stupid, security (who doesn't have immediate video access) tries to clean up and gets the wrong (but also bad) guy, then they are trying to fix the mistake. I really can't fault the Cubs or their security here.

This is also about player safety. You can't let people get away with throwing stuff at players when they are trying to catch a ball. What if Victorino gets hit with the beer, gets distracted and then the ball hits him in the face? A player's career can be ended pretty quick with this s***.

And it's not just Wrigley. Toronto has had a lot of problems this season.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
This is also about player safety. You can't let people get away with throwing stuff at players when they are trying to catch a ball. What if Victorino gets hit with the beer, gets distracted and then the ball hits him in the face? A player's career can be ended pretty quick with this s***.

And it's not just Wrigley. Toronto has had a lot of problems this season.

I can actually see more of this happening at Wrigley this year, this team is falling flat on its face and some of those night games with fans drinking all day are going to have a bad vibe going through it, a couple of bad outings by Cubs SPs, some errors and some blowouts could lead to something bigger.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
I can actually see more of this happening at Wrigley this year, this team is falling flat on its face and some of those night games with fans drinking all day are going to have a bad vibe going through it, a couple of bad outings by Cubs SPs, some errors and some blowouts could lead to something bigger.

There's no question they have a lot of problems there. For the last couple years it's probably the most dangerous stadium to play in. I'm just saying it's a problem in other stadiums as well, and it's becoming more rampant.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
There's no question they have a lot of problems there. For the last couple years it's probably the most dangerous stadium to play in. I'm just saying it's a problem in other stadiums as well, and it's becoming more rampant.

I agree. The combination of environment (much more bar-like than other places) and the current on-field results means that the Cubs will have this problem more than other teams. But it is just wishful schadenfreude to believe that its a Cubs-specific problem. Its becoming more of an issue all over. Ideally, the response should be for the Cubs to increase security presence in the actual bleachers, not just on the top aisle. But if I had to guess, you may also start to see more drastic measure imposed in certain stadiums - nets for example, or even alcohol bans at earlier innings or in certain areas of the park.