2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as that organization turns a blind eye towards (and tactily encourages) the throwing of certain "acceptable" objects onto the field of play, they have no chance of ever stopping the throwing of unacceptable objects. Of course, no team can ever totally stop that anyway, but the hypocrisy surrounding that place is unbelievable.

Wasn't it just last year that a woman hit an opposing outfielder with a ball, but totally escaped punishment because she "thought she could?" No wonder this s*** continues to happen. I can recall at least four times in the last 10 years that their field has been totally and completely trashed by fans. I don't remember that happening anyplace else more than once. Plus, I can recall at least twice as many "fan-attacks-player" incidents there than at the Cell, the Oakland Coliseum, Philly, or at any other supossedly "dangerous" stadium with notoriously "hostile" fans. I don't know how the reports of racial taunting there compares to other places around the league, but I always hear about a couple of those every Summer as well (i.e., Latroy Hawkins, Milton Bradley, etc.)

Yet somehow, the s*** never seems to stink at the "Friendly Confines." I guess that what happens when you emphasize marketing over the enforcement of simple rules that apply to everybody else.

Hi everyone, I am a long time Sox fan and first time poster here!

:gosoxretro:

Regarding the topic of the drunken idiot that threw the beer at Shane Victorino, I had called into the Danny Mac show on 670 this morning to discuss this. I don't know if anyone here was listening, but Dan McNeil was backing the rest of the Cubs fan base an treating this as an isolated incident. I was called "closed minded" for telling him that is this was typical of that sorry excuse of a fan base. The throwing of the homerun ball back, throwing trash on the field, etc. I know that there are idiots at baseball games, and yes I know it happens everywhere, but the whole section was applauding this asshole after he threw the beer. There was one caller, who said half of the stadium was cheering this idiot on.

Edited by Soxpride724

QUOTE (Soxpride724 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
Hi everyone, I am a long time Sox fan and first time poster here!

:gosoxretro:

Regarding the topic of the drunken idiot that threw the beer at Shane Victorino, I had called into the Danny Mac show on 670 this morning to discuss this. I don't know if anyone here was listening, but Dan McNeil was backing the rest of the Cubs fan base an treating this as an isolated incident. I was called "closed minded" for telling him that is this was typical of that sorry excuse of a fan base. The throwing of the homerun ball back, throwing trash on the field, etc. I know that there are idiots at baseball games, and yes I know it happens everywhere, but the whole section was applauding this asshole after he threw the beer. There was one caller, who said half of the stadium was cheering this idiot on.

Welcome!

That's the point I was making, too. At what point, does a collection of numerous "isolated" incidents become not just a pattern but a problem?

I agree that this certainly doesn't prove that "all Cub fans are idiots," but you can only play the "isolated incident" card so many times, and I think they've passed that point at Wrigley.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
If I'm the White Sox, Bears, and Bulls, once they find this dude I would make a statement and ban him from life from my sporting events.

The cubs will but I am sure they are not going to know if he gets in or not. The Liques are banned from the Cell.....how hard is it to put on a hat and come in.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)

Welcome!

That's the point I was making, too. At what point, does a collection of numerous "isolated" incidents become not just a pattern but a problem?

I agree that this certainly doesn't prove that "all Cub fans are idiots," but you can only play the "isolated incident" card so many times, and I think they've passed that point at Wrigley.

I agree completely. There are some decent Cub fans that I know, but incidents like this happen far too often there (see the 30 home run balls thrown back incident of last year) I feel bad for the decent true Cub fans, unfortunately they are outnumbered by the "Wrigley fans" and the trixies and frat boys in there own stadium that give all of them bad names.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
The cubs will but I am sure they are not going to know if he gets in or not. The Liques are banned from the Cell.....how hard is it to put on a hat and come in.

Billy Ligue has been to several games this year.

LOL, in the Trib article, this quote from Crane Kenney kills me:

"We serve beer and people sit in the bleachers," he said. "You think about how many years we've gone with no issues of any kind, including situations where our fans, in some ways, were animated about our own players (when) they weren't favorable (towards the Cubs).

No issues of any kind? I'm not going to be some doofus and say this a typical Cubs fan thing, but come on, this is NOT the only time something like this has happened there.

If an incident like this occurred at Toyota Park, a security guard with access to a radio would work with security cameras to identify the person responsible. Even if they didn't have the information available immediately, they'd stick around and wait. In this instance, everyone knew it came from a small area. I would have thought it'd be more important to identify the correct person than try to remove them immediately. Even if it meant standing around for five minutes (because it doesn't appear he has a headset on). Unfortunately, these Cub fans (and Chicago Fire fans are the same) aren't going to rat on each other. Everyone saw him do it, yet, no one willfully confessed.

I bet if the picture NSS posted made the papers, he'd be found. In this day and time, that goof had to have told friends and family he has going to the game. I'll bet he has long since shaved the facial hair, too.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
If an incident like this occurred at Toyota Park, a security guard with access to a radio would work with security cameras to identify the person responsible. Even if they didn't have the information available immediately, they'd stick around and wait. In this instance, everyone knew it came from a small area. I would have thought it'd be more important to identify the correct person than try to remove them immediately. Even if it meant standing around for five minutes (because it doesn't appear he has a headset on). Unfortunately, these Cub fans (and Chicago Fire fans are the same) aren't going to rat on each other. Everyone saw him do it, yet, no one willfully confessed.

I bet if the picture NSS posted made the papers, he'd be found. In this day and time, that goof had to have told friends and family he has going to the game. I'll bet he has long since shaved the facial hair, too.

Go to the trib and suntimes front pages. That guys face is all over the net

It wont be long

The Cubs and Shane Victorino both have filed a complaint against the unruly fan who doused the Phillies center fielder with beer in Chicago's 12-5 loss Wednesday night at Wrigley Field, and the Chicago Police Department is looking for the individual.

Cubs chairman Crane Kenney met with Victorino on Thursday and apologized for the incident.

"I said, 'Listen, we're sorry, it shouldn't have happened here,'" Kenney said. "'It's not a good reflection on our city or our organization and we're going to do whatever we can to make sure that things are made right here.' And [Victorino] said, 'Listen, I know you are and I appreciate your help.'"

The Cubs do have security in the bleachers, and Kenney said he wasn't sure what other steps the team could take.

"What are you going to do?" Kenney said. "We serve beer and people sit in the bleachers. If you think about how many years we've gone with no issues of any kind, including situations where we had our fans in some way animated about our own players, where they weren't favorable towards them -- so this is an isolated instance. [We'll] handle it the right way, we think, with the police.

"The Phillies have been great. We apologized to the Phillies. Shane's been terrific about it, and he's cooperating, as we are, with the [Chicago Police Department], and we'll let them take it from here."

A fan was immediately ushered away after the incident -- Victorino was showered as he caught Jake Fox's sacrifice fly in the fifth inning -- but the person apprehended was not the right one.

"I didn't even know it was happening," Victorino said. "It didn't affect me at all."

He did not want to press charges but said he would file a complaint with the Chicago police.

"We'll look for him, and we'll hand it over to the police," Victorino said. "If I file a complaint, they'll at least go get the guy. If I press charges, he gets arrested. He's probably at home laughing right now watching all these replays, 'Ah, they got the wrong guy. I got away with it.'

"We're going to get the right guy."

"It should never happen," Kenney said. "I don't care if we're down 20-1. It's not right, ever, and nothing excuses it. So I don't really have a feeling about whether it's because we were losing. It should never happen."

The guilty fan could be charged with assault. Think about that the next time you feel like throwing your beverage on an opposing player at Wrigley Field.

Link

Apparently Ted Lilly pitching at Peoria was the greatest baseball event in the last 50 years because the broadcasters can't shut the F up about it. I love how they ran the interview with Sweaty Teddy about how awesome the talent in Peoria is... it's no longer "Wait till Next Year" it's "Wait for 3-4 years"

Oh yeah, and Cliff Lee just absolutely owned the Cubs today and Dumpster looked average at best.

Was that Cubs employees as security or off duty CPD? Because they probably were a little too graby with that guy if they weren't sure it was him who threw the beer if they were Cubs security. If they were off duty CPD, I would defer to their judgment.

Edited by SoxFan562004

How hilarious is it that the guy who threw the beer:

Is wearing a cocked to the side cubs trucker hat

A cubs wrist band

A v-neck t shirt

An awful pair of "trendy" sunglasses hanging from said v-neck

And 99% there is a gay feaux-hawk underneith the cocked trucker hat

If he was wearing a pair of awful checkered shorts with the shirt tucked in, he could be a cubs "fan" sterotype poster child.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
LOL, in the Trib article, this quote from Crane Kenney kills me:

No issues of any kind? I'm not going to be some doofus and say this a typical Cubs fan thing, but come on, this is NOT the only time something like this has happened there.

I've literally gone to maybe 5 cubs games in the last 10 years, and there have been no less than 2 incidents at each game. I was even at the Dodgers bullpen fiasco game. I think the Cubs lost all 5 games I've been too (if they lost the Mark Prior shattered elbow game which i was at as well) and I can recall 3 separate occasions where garbage has been thrown onto the field from the bleachers directly at opposing players.

Hilarious post I saw about this on nsbb.com Shwoing some of the folks on here that there are true fans on both sides of the city, and we both hate the same group of idiot cubs fans.

I think it's funny that the only guy in the picture who appears to have a problem with this is wearing the tired, ignorant fukudome [expletive] on his head.

We suck

Edited by RockRaines