2009 Cubs thread

daa84

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 12:04 AM)
As I was saying, the Cubs best shot is to win the Wild Card. The Cardinals schedule is tougher, but it lines up perfectly for them so they can skip their non-existent #5 starter a handful of times. Start rooting for Colorado and San Fran a lot.

As I was saying, they aren't going to make the playoffs. St. Louis is up 6 games and is just a better team than the Cubs, and the Cubs aren't good enough to beat out all of those teams in the wild card race, as at least one of them will finish with a better record than the baby bears.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cubs are three outs away from losing a series to the Padres...

If the Cardinals find a way to come back, they can pretty much bury the Cubs in the dirt.

With the Dodgers coming up this weekend, the Cubs could find themselves 8-9 games out by Monday.

Cesar Carrillo with a quality start. Still surreal seeing a guy who lived a couple blocks down from me, not to mention played in the same little league park as I did pitching in the bigs. Slav, he was also an eastsider. He lived over there on 110th.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 11:48 PM)
Cesar Carrillo with a quality start. Still surreal seeing a guy who lived a couple blocks down from me, not to mention played in the same little league park as I did pitching in the bigs. Slav, he was also an eastsider. He lived over there on 110th.

Cesar and I were the left side of the infield for two years at Mt. Carmel :headbang

It was great to see him get his first win in the bigs. Congratulations Ceaz!

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 08:16 AM)
Didn't the Sox pass up on him and Garza for Broadway or was Cesar picked with Kyle.

White Sox had the #15 pick, and took Lance Broadway. Cesar ended up going three picks later to San Diego. Brian Bogusevic, out of De La Salle HS in Chicago, also went in the first round at #24 to Houston.

Matt Garza, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Colby Rasmus were all taken after the Sox's pick of Broadway.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 08:09 AM)
Cesar and I were the left side of the infield for two years at Mt. Carmel :headbang

It was great to see him get his first win in the bigs. Congratulations Ceaz!

Congrats to him. Was he a sox or cubs fan growing up???

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 09:33 AM)
Congrats to him. Was he a sox or cubs fan growing up???

He definitely wasn't a die-hard fan of the Sox or Cubs. I actually don't recall Cesar talking much about either team in town. The MLB.com write up from the game last night said he was a Cubs fan, but I never knew that.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 08:24 AM)
White Sox had the #15 pick, and took Lance Broadway. Cesar ended up going three picks later to San Diego. Brian Bogusevic, out of De La Salle HS in Chicago, also went in the first round at #24 to Houston.

Matt Garza, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Colby Rasmus were all taken after the Sox's pick of Broadway.

Ugh. How do you pass on a guy who throws 97 and take one who throws 89 instead?

Cards won and everybody but the Fish in front of them for the WC won...

Got to love that Milton Bradley taunted the fans after his HR and Aramis posed after his... nothing like losing ground in both races you're in during a series to a below .500 team and acting like complete jackasses!

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 01:40 AM)
Cards won and everybody but the Fish in front of them for the WC won...

Got to love that Milton Bradley taunted the fans after his HR and Aramis posed after his... nothing like losing ground in both races you're in during a series to a below .500 team and acting like complete jackasses!

There was a pair of Cubs fans sitting right behind the Cubs dugout that was taunting and heckling him the entire game. It was pretty audible and his reaction was understandable

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 12:51 AM)
There was a pair of Cubs fans sitting right behind the Cubs dugout that was taunting and heckling him the entire game. It was pretty audible and his reaction was understandable

Not to me. For one thing he's a pro athlete, get over it. Also, he was brought in with a big contract to help this team contend by being a force at the plate, and outside his OBP he has been a miserable failure as has the team. Hitting your ninth home run in a game your team is already winning by a few runs and is winning to avoid being swept by a below .500 in a series where your team has lost ground in both the division and the WC race then taunting fans isn't "understandable" to me.

Edited by SoxFan562004