2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
Wow are they desperate.

I don't see it as desperate, it's a low risk high reward at this point. I said earlier in this thread if KW only had to give up a low A prospect I would like the Sox to roll the dice on him. If Peavy comes back next week, roll the dice with a rotation of Floyd/Danks/MB/Peavy/Harden for the last 3 and a half weeks.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
This Milton Bradley thing is yet another blind media flock.

He was brought he because he was a winner....yet he has never won anything and seems to piss off rather easily.

He was brought in to drive in runs....yet he has never been a run producer.

He is an OBP DH...the cubs sold him to their stupid fans as something he has never been and now they are blaming him for not being that.

I feel a little bad for the guy as he does lead the team in OBP.

He has not underproduced any worse then Soriano, Soto or Zambrano

They really should have signed Adam Dunn. Bradley has been one of the reasons the Cub's clubhouse is a terrible place to be.

Soriano is terrible.. already made an error and just missed another that he should have caught then it got by him.. he's terrible. He makes Dye look like a gold glover.

It just cracks me up the Cubs are stuck with Soriano, Zambrano, Bradley, Fukodome for big money for a long time. I don't think they'll be getting any better for years unless some Yankee like money is put into them.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
Soriano is terrible.. already made an error and just missed another that he should have caught then it got by him.. he's terrible. He makes Dye look like a gold glover.

It just cracks me up the Cubs are stuck with Soriano, Zambrano, Bradley, Fukodome for big money for a long time. I don't think they'll be getting any better for years unless some Yankee like money is put into them.

It's back to the 1990's for them very soon. It's weird. They've actually been halfway competent this decade. I believe they've only had two losing seasons since 2001. But like you said, they're stuck with some terrible, terrible contracts for quite a while. And they've got next to nothing at the farm on any level.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
This Mets team is so unbelievably bad. The Cubs have an extremely easy schedule the next two weeks, so look for them to get back into the mix for the Wild Card.

Possibly, but they aren't going to win the Wild Card. They have too many teams they have to play too many games better than, and no matter how easy their schedule is, the Cubs are still a bad baseball team.

This Mets team is so unbelievably bad. The Cubs have an extremely easy schedule the next two weeks, so look for them to get back into the mix for the Wild Card.

They've got about 75 million sittin' on the DL. And at what point will you stop predicting future Cub dominance? Extremely easy schedule? Did they not just lose 2/3 to the Nationals at home? 5 months is more than enough of a sample size to come to a reasonable conclusion about what you are as a team. And they're basically crap.

Unless you rip of like 15 straight wins or 19 out of 20 it's so hard to jump 4 teams.

And at the start of this extremely easy schedule, they went 3-3 at home against two bad teams, thats not gonna get er done.

I will say this in the Cubs defense, I don't think they have quit. I just think they are incredibly mediocre and have been that way consistently almost all season. That is more than can be said for our guys, unfortunately. We went from mediocre to outright qutting the last couple of weeks.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
I will say this in the Cubs defense, I don't think they have quit. I just think they are incredibly mediocre and have been that way consistently almost all season. That is more than can be said for our guys, unfortunately. We went from mediocre to outright qutting the last couple of weeks.

What have the Sox done differently that the cubs have not.

Did you see Soriano yesterday...the guy ended the game swinging at three pitches that were never in the strike zone.

The Sox were beaten by two of the better teams in baseball and outside of Mr. Rockie the pitching was fantastic, they just could not hit.

The cub homestand went 5-5 against the Nats, Astros, Mets and Sox to say the Sox have quit but the cubs have not........I could not agree less with

If the cub goes 7-3 which they should have at worst, they would be 4 out with a cupcake schedule beyond belief. In the same time the Sox have lost 5 games in the standings, the cubs have lost 10.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
What have the Sox done differently that the cubs have not.

Did you see Soriano yesterday...the guy ended the game swinging at three pitches that were never in the strike zone.

The Sox were beaten by two of the better teams in baseball and outside of Mr. Rockie the pitching was fantastic, they just could not hit.

The cub homestand went 5-5 against the Nats, Astros, Mets and Sox to say the Sox have quit but the cubs have not........I could not agree less with

If the cub goes 7-3 which they should have at worst, they would be 4 out with a cupcake schedule beyond belief. In the same time the Sox have lost 5 games in the standings, the cubs have lost 10.

Just because Soriano is an absolute dog and the Cubs are a bad team doesn't mean they have quit. They just aren't good. The Sox absolutely quit on that road trip, even the wins the last 2 games on the road trip were handed to them by their opponents.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 08:15 PM)
Just because Soriano is an absolute dog and the Cubs are a bad team doesn't mean they have quit. They just aren't good. The Sox absolutely quit on that road trip, even the wins the last 2 games on the road trip were handed to them by their opponents.

How does one determine when another teams "quits."? What do you see? What are the signs? Why did the Sox "quit" while another team like the Cubs didn't quit but are just bad?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
How does one determine when another teams "quits."? What do you see? What are the signs? Why did the Sox "quit" while another team like the Cubs didn't quit but are just bad?

I can't give you hard evidence the Sox have quit other than my opinion (although that doesn't look as smart after 3 wins in a row). The Sox have made major overhauls and improvements to their talent level during this season (even with Peavy hurt), and are still not playing any better somehow. As for the Cubs, the reason I don't think they have quit is I honestly don't think they are underachieving, I just think they are as bad as they have played. Now, to be legitimately THAT bad with a 140 million dollar payroll or whatever they have is a major indictment on Jim Hendry, who should probably be fired.