2009 Cubs thread

daa84

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
Throw in the Gregg/Heilman trades and letting Derosa go for nothing but financial relief and you're talking one epic ass fail. That team is in some SERIOUS long-term trouble.

Jason Marquis, too...200+ innings again, 15 wins, under 4 ERA in Colorado. And they didn't think he was a viable 5th starter?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Lou just came out and said that the Cubs will replace Milton Bradley next year. Its one thing that it is common knowledge that the Cubs will try and get rid of him, its another issue entirely to come out and say it.

It definitely hurts any (tiny) trade value that Bradley has now that they have come out and said they are going to pawn him off elsewhere

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
Wow, Lou just came out and said that the Cubs will replace Milton Bradley next year. Its one thing that it is common knowledge that the Cubs will try and get rid of him, its another issue entirely to come out and say it.

It definitely hurts any (tiny) trade value that Bradley has now that they have come out and said they are going to pawn him off elsewhere

That's the Cub way, take a guy and trade him at his absolute lowest value, while at the same time demonizing him on the way out the door in order to gain fan support for the move. It's all about PR there, even with the increased payroll and expectations.

On a side note, the Rockies walk off, extra inning win officially eliminated the Cubs from playoff contention tonight, so those who really, really hate the Cubs can sleep easy tonight, as it's now been 101 full years and the streak moves into it's second century. :lolhitting

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 12:27 AM)
That's the Cub way, take a guy and trade him at his absolute lowest value, while at the same time demonizing him on the way out the door in order to gain fan support for the move. It's all about PR there, even with the increased payroll and expectations.

On a side note, the Rockies walk off, extra inning win officially eliminated the Cubs from playoff contention tonight, so those who really, really hate the Cubs can sleep easy tonight, as it's now been 101 full years and the streak moves into it's second century. :lolhitting

Bradley did it to himself.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:27 AM)

White Sox have done it too (Swisher). It's just a natural reaction to cover one's ass,

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)
White Sox have done it too (Swisher). It's just a natural reaction to cover one's ass,

YOur Swisher love is stalker creepy. Its funny that you are basically defending both Bradley and Swisher, I dont get it but whatever.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
YOur Swisher love is stalker creepy. Its funny that you are basically defending both Bradley and Swisher, I dont get it but whatever.

Argue the point. No need to bring me down without offering a decent rebuttal. Did we or did we not scapegoat Swish last year, the same way the Cubs are doing to Bradley this year?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 12:27 AM)

It's Gonna Happen!!!!!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
Argue the point. No need to bring me down without offering a decent rebuttal. Did we or did we not scapegoat Swish last year, the same way the Cubs are doing to Bradley this year?

Not in my eyes we didnt. I saw the guy suck, pout, and then I heard about his nightlife during all of this. I have no pity for Swisher, he put himself in that position with his attitude, which is exactly what Bradley and his big mouth and angry personality did for the Cubs.

These two made themselves the scapegoats. Although you cant really call Swisher a scapegoat, considering the team made the playoffs despite Swisher acting and playing the way he did. The Cubs really cant say the same thing.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
Let’s just agree to disagree, and try not to turn this into another Swisher thread. Now, back to the Cubs sucking.

lol. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)
I am going into this year like I did two year's ago. While on paper I think the cubs are going to be good this year, I just think something is going to go wrong with them. They have zero organizational depth and are needing to get a cast off to back up first and third base. They should go after Crede..... If Lee or Ramirez go down they are screwed. Any injuries for that matter and they are in trouble. I think yo uwill see the drop off of older players as well and those back loaded contracts are going to come back to haunt the Ricketts family.

I know my cubs.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
I think the Cubs are going to struggle a lot with their pen this year as well as dealing with the pain of having Harden all year. If they were in any other division I would pick a suprise team to beat them out this year, but with that division, Cubs win it in a cakewalk

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 24, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
It doesn't suprise me that they're struggling, just didn't expect a horrible stretch like this. Their pen was shaky, Bradley having to play in the field was a huge risk, Soto was no guarantee to come back as productive as he was, Lee was questionable, Dempster had a career year and now add the injuries they've had it's a perfect storm. With that said, unless the Brewers or the Cards make a big move, the Cubs will be in the race all year.

I had some good observances about them along the way! Harden didn't end up hurting them because they got very good SP for most of the year.

St. Louis ended up being the team stepping up and adding payroll with DeRosa and Holliday, so that was the mystery team/moves that weren't there at the beginning of the season.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)

We scapegoated him as a cover up for the real reason we traded him, which was because we wanted (and/or needed) to dump salary, so I think it's a little different. That, and we have nowhere near the resume of demonizing guys to look good in our fanbase and then trading them at lowest value that the Cubs do.

Edited by whitesoxfan101