2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 06:27 PM)
We scapegoated him as a cover up for the real reason we traded him, which was because we wanted (and/or needed) to dump salary, so I think it's a little different. That, and we have nowhere near the resume of demonizing guys to look good in our fanbase and then trading them at lowest value that the Cubs do.

The Sox have flat out said that his salary was a big reason he was dealt... Remember they said it was his money that signed Viciedo.

The Cubs fired their second hitting coach of the year. Obviously Derek Lee hasn't visited Sox talk because he would know a good hitting coach can increase your average 60 points and a good hitting coach can make Paul Konerko stop grounding into any DPs.

"I hate to say it, but a hitting coach is overrated," Derrek Lee said. "It's more of a mental thing. Gerald was a great guy. He always had positive things to say -- and same with Von. They're always in your corner. But the bottom line is the best hitting coach is yourself. No one knows your swing like yourself. ... None of the blame should go to either of those two."

• 2 months later...

Cubs Close On Milton Bradley Trade?

The Cubs are close on trade with a "surprise AL team" for Milton Bradley, tweets Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. He says the deal could happen tonight. We know the Royals aren't in on Bradley, and the Rangers or Rays wouldn't be a surprise. So let's hear your guesses.

On the other hand, we talked to someone familiar with the situation who said there's "nothing new" on Bradley. Early this morning, the Chicago Tribune's Paul Sullivan had this to say:

Sources outside the organization insist the best bet remains a deal with the Rays involving Pat Burrell, whom the Cubs would try to deal elsewhere, possibly to the Blue Jays for prospects.

supposedly tampa and the rangers not involved....don't be shocked if its us....especially if KW is scared by matsui's asking price

pulled this gem of the NSBB though...pretty funny...

3-way trade with Cubs/White Sox/Orioles in which the Cubs get both Brian Roberts and Jake Peavy

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
supposedly tampa and the rangers not involved....don't be shocked if its us....especially if KW is scared by matsui's asking price

pulled this gem of the NSBB though...pretty funny...

Wow. Please tell me that trade is sarcastic, no one can be that stupid, not even a Cubs fan.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
Let him keep dreaming then.

I like how we were closer to acquiring both guys when nobody even knew about it. Well, we actually did get one of them, so that's one big point to us.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Heard on ESPN 1000 today that despite all the Bradley rumors at the winter meetings the Cubs weren't really close to trading him and, surprise surprise, they're having a difficult time!

Yeah, I think most of that stuff was wishful thinking to try to get someone to jump on him.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)
Jen Patterson just posted on FB that Bradley is going to the Mariners. Why would anyone trade for this guy. There's no way he was going to be back on the Cubs...they eventually would have just released him.

The Mariners? Is he gonna platoon at DH with Griffey? The Mariners are having a hell of an offseason. I have no idea why they'd be interested in Bradley.

Jen Patterson just posted on FB that Bradley is going to the Mariners. Why would anyone trade for this guy. There's no way he was going to be back on the Cubs...they eventually would have just released him.

Who the hell listens to Jen Patterson? What inside info does she have?

Yeah, but Jen Patterson learned everything she knows about sports from Mike North, so I wouldnt listen to a thing she has to say

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
Jen Patterson is going to get a gig on Comcast after Josh Mora is gone or Sarah Kustok moves on to bigger and better things. The fact Gail Fisher is there and Kerry Sayers is not is an absolute joke.

ugh. Dont get me started. This just pisses me off.

Those who have been around here for a while know, or have heard, my stories about my experience at the score and the Mike North/Jen Patterson thing.