2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
The problem with Owens is he didn't know how to use his "speed". I'm still not convinced that recent injuries left Owens with anything other than good, but not great speed.

And the problem with Gathright is that he does nothing well, but run. He sucks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2009 -> 07:42 PM)
And the problem with Gathright is that he does nothing well, but run. He sucks.

No one ever said he's a superstar. He has one tool, and at least it's a legitimate tool. The needs of an NL team off the bench are a hell of a lot different than that of an AL team, as you know (due to significantly more PH opportunities in the NL). Also, Piniella doesn't search for ways to get him at bats at least. If Gathright was on the Sox (and many of us were praying we wouldn't sign him when he was non-tendered), he would have had probably 25 at bats by now.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 3, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
They have literally no starting depth behind Samardizja and Mitch Atkins, and neither of those options are ideal.

Zambrano's a maniac...if there's someone who will pitch through pain for them, it's him (the anti-Prior). Cubs injuries also never are as serious as they appear at first. There will probably be a vigil outside of Wrigley tonight for him though.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Zambrano's a maniac...if there's someone who will pitch through pain for them, it's him (the anti-Prior). Cubs injuries also never are as serious as they appear at first. There will probably be a vigil outside of Wrigley tonight for him though.

This is the team who is notorious for their injuries being way worse than they start out! I don't disagree with the last part.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)
This is the team who is notorious for their injuries being way worse than they start out! I don't disagree with the last part.

Yes, for Mark Prior (who funny enough is complaining of shoulder issues again). They've had so many injuries the last 2-3 years where it seemed like the player would be out a long period, only to miss a week of action. Hell, Zambrano has left with forearm/elbow pain about 5 times over the past few years, and has only missed maybe 5 starts during that time.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
Gload dropped a fly ball in RF prior to that slam. That's the 6th dropped fly ball against the Cubs this year, and it hasn't even been that windy at Wrigley so far.

Wasn't it against the Cubs at Wrigley that Gload made that awful play in RF for the Sox back in 2004? Which sentenced him to never play RF for the Sox again? He must really not like playing the Cubs.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Yes, for Mark Prior (who funny enough is complaining of shoulder issues again). They've had so many injuries the last 2-3 years where it seemed like the player would be out a long period, only to miss a week of action. Hell, Zambrano has left with forearm/elbow pain about 5 times over the past few years, and has only missed maybe 5 starts during that time.

Lou's post game said it was more of a cramp, so I am guessing he misses no time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 3, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
Wasn't it against the Cubs at Wrigley that Gload made that awful play in RF for the Sox back in 2004? Which sentenced him to never play RF for the Sox again? He must really not like playing the Cubs.

Yes it was...same game that he had a grand slam overruled.

Zambrano has been placed on the 15-day DL.

I would love to see Zambrano out for an extended period of time and see the cubs really fall back in the race. It's too bad they didn't lose a few more games while Aramis Ramirez was out (he'll probably be back in the lineup tonight).

The Cubs are playing just well enough to keep close to St. Louis and if they start clicking like they can, they can take off and not look back. Remember in 2007 they started off badly and then around June 1st they got hot and remained hot the rest of the year.

Edited by JustWin

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 4, 2009 -> 08:00 AM)
Zambrano has been placed on the 15-day DL.

I would love to see Zambrano out for an extended period of time and see the cubs really fall back in the race. It's too bad they didn't lose a few more games while Aramis Ramirez was out (he'll probably be back in the lineup tonight).

The Cubs are playing just well enough to keep close to St. Louis and if they start clicking like they can, they can take off and not look back. Remember in 2007 they started off badly and then around June 1st they got hot and remained hot the rest of the year.

I picked Cincinnati to win the division, don't count them out. They're 13-11 right now and none of their guys have started hitting with the exception of Votto.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 4, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
I picked Cincinnati to win the division, don't count them out. They're 13-11 right now and none of their guys have started hitting with the exception of Votto.

Their coach is Dusty Baker. I've counted them out.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 4, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
Their coach is Dusty Baker. I've counted them out.

Dusty may have his faults, but he has had a lot of success in the majors as a manager, too much success to just dismiss his team because he is the manager

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 4, 2009 -> 06:00 AM)

Let's not forget that St. Louis is liable to get Carpenter back again. This evens the 2 pitching staffs up a lot more.

Ugh, the Cubs are heating up just as the Sox are going ice cold. I don't know how I can keep surviving the summers if this keeps up. At least if the Sox are playing well I don't care as much about what the Cubs do. Or if the Sox are stinking it up it makes it a lot more bearable if the Cubs are too. But the Cubs winning and Sox losing is a sickening combination that will take years off my life.

I know, I know. It's a game, why get stressed about it? But damn it I can't help it.

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 5, 2009 -> 12:29 AM)
Ugh, the Cubs are heating up just as the Sox are going ice cold. I don't know how I can keep surviving the summers if this keeps up. At least if the Sox are playing well I don't care as much about what the Cubs do. Or if the Sox are stinking it up it makes it a lot more bearable if the Cubs are too. But the Cubs winning and Sox losing is a sickening combination that will take years off my life.

I know, I know. It's a game, why get stressed about it? But damn it I can't help it.

Looking like another terrible day of baseball, as Cubs will likely win, Sox lose, Twins win, Cardinals lose