2009 Cubs thread

daa84

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 6, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
Also, Chris Carpenter is supposedly progressing nicely and should throw from the mound on Tuesday.

Frankly, I doubt giving him an extra month off to start the season was the worst thing in the world anyway.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Over/under 20 runs scored by Cubs in 2 games vs Hampton/Russ Ortiz?

It's really a shame how far that franchise has fallen. The Astros were easily my second favorite team in the late 90's through the first 3-4 years of this decade. Unless the Sox were on, anytime the Astros were either on national TV or playing the Cubs I'd stop whatever I was doing to watch them.

Harden went 7+ innings yesterday and was hitting 96mph. If they were to go out and somehow get Peavy (who had 12 K's last night), that rotation would be sick.

I really hope they don't sign Harden to a contract extension as he is one of the best pitchers in the game when healthy (and of course, so far with the Cubs he's been able to stay healthy). And with the Dodgers running away with the NL West, I really hope the Padres trade Peavy to some other team soon before the Cubs have a chance to get him.

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 7, 2009 -> 06:09 AM)
Harden went 7+ innings yesterday and was hitting 96mph. If they were to go out and somehow get Peavy (who had 12 K's last night), that rotation would be sick.

I really hope they don't sign Harden to a contract extension as he is one of the best pitchers in the game when healthy (and of course, so far with the Cubs he's been able to stay healthy). And with the Dodgers running away with the NL West, I really hope the Padres trade Peavy to some other team soon before the Cubs have a chance to get him.

That's not really true... they shut him down for a few starts at the end of last year and there was a huge question fo whether or not he would have been able to start against the Dodgers if the Cubs actually won a game in the NLDS.

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 7, 2009 -> 07:23 AM)
But he's never gone on the DL and missed a significant # of starts.

Also, he did pitch game 3 of the NLDS against the Dodgers.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...nmlb_1#boxscore

True, but he didn't pitch very well and he was having his problems last year in September when the rosters were expanded.

Look, could Harden pull it together and reach his potential with the Cubs? Of course, but as you can see for what he was traded for, many people in baseball are still weary of him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harderi01.shtml

Also, it's not like he's been lights out this year. I'm not sure if these stats include last nights numbers or not, but even if they don't, coming into last night his ERA + was a below average 93.

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 7, 2009 -> 06:09 AM)

Until he learns to manage his pitch count and become a more efficient pitcher he'll never be one of the best pitchers in the game regardless of health. One of the most dominant for the first 3 to 5 innings of his starts? Sure but he's a bullpen killer, if you can't give your team 7 innings on a consistent basis then you can not anchor a rotation.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 7, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
so, when do Cubs fans start crying about being robbed by the "evil" Manny last year while just ignoring Sosa

I think most Cubs fan acknowledge Sosa. In fact, most try to ignore him. Ever since the corked bat incident, they've slowly jumped off the bandwagon

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 7, 2009 -> 07:23 AM)
But he's never gone on the DL and missed a significant # of starts.

Also, he did pitch game 3 of the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He will. Him and Milton Bradley will both spend a significant amount of time at home on the DL.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
0-4 with an error, 3 strike outs for Berkman. What a shock!!

He turns into a light-hitting utility player against Cubs pitching.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
0-5 with 4 strike outs for Berkman. The Astros might be the worst team in baseball besides the Nats.

Yes, and it's sad. This was not too long ago one of the best-run organizations in all of baseball.

B&B discussed this but it's so weird I figured I'd post it:

Freel gained some notoriety in August of 2006 when The Dayton Daily News reported that Freel talks to an imaginary voice in his head named Farney.[2] Said Freel: "He's a little guy who lives in my head who talks to me and I talk to him. That little midget in my head said, 'That was a great catch, Ryan,' I said, 'Hey, Farney, I don't know if that was you who really caught that ball, but that was pretty good if it was.' Everybody thinks I talk to myself, so I tell 'em I'm talking to Farney."[3] Freel later said that Farney's name arose from a conversation with Reds trainer Mark Mann: "He actually made a comment like, 'How are the voices in your head?' We'd play around and finally this year he said, 'What's the guy's name?' I said, 'Let's call him Farney.' So now everybody's like, 'Run, Farney, run' or 'Let Farney hit today. You're not hitting very well.'"

Wiki