2009 Cubs thread

daa84

Lilly vs Chris Young when wind is blowing out tonight. Should be about 10 homers hit. Also, no one seems to notice how bad the Cardinals are playing these days.

Haha, Soriano and Theriot go back-to-back. Wrigley's a freaking joke.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
Lilly vs Chris Young when wind is blowing out tonight. Should be about 10 homers hit. Also, no one seems to notice how bad the Cardinals are playing these days.

Haha, Soriano and Theriot go back-to-back. Wrigley's a freaking joke.

The Cards are playing about as bad as the Cubs were just a couple weeks ago. And? There's 130 games or so left in the season. I'm not crowning the Cubs just because they're on a hot streak and the Cardinals are on a cold one. And what I want to know is why nobody is talking about the Reds? They've got arguably better starting pitching and unquestionably a better bullpen.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 13, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)
The Cards are playing about as bad as the Cubs were just a couple weeks ago. And? There's 130 games or so left in the season. I'm not crowning the Cubs just because they're on a hot streak and the Cardinals are on a cold one. And what I want to know is why nobody is talking about the Reds? They've got arguably better starting pitching and unquestionably a better bullpen.

They're just starting to hit as well. Brandon Phillips is on fire.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 14, 2009 -> 02:28 AM)
They're just starting to hit as well. Brandon Phillips is on fire.

Willy Taveras, who nobody wanted any part of, is hitting .322 with a .382 OBP. Also 10/11 in stolen base attempts. He's also playing well above average defense in CF. Quite a signing by them to this point.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
This Padres team is freaking awful. Poor Adrian Gonzalez. The Cubs are drawing a ton of walks it seems lately.

Yeah, it's hard to gauge if the Cubs are getting in a groove or if this Pads team is really that bad, Cubs just came off losing 2 out of 3 to the Crew in Milwaukee. With their injuries and their shaky bullpen, I don't see them running away with this division

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 14, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
Yeah, it's hard to gauge if the Cubs are getting in a groove or if this Pads team is really that bad, Cubs just came off losing 2 out of 3 to the Crew in Milwaukee. With their injuries and their shaky bullpen, I don't see them running away with this division

It's all about pitching, and I'm pretty sure the Cubs have the most quality starts in baseball this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 14, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
It's all about pitching, and I'm pretty sure the Cubs have the most quality starts in baseball this season.

Is there a way to find out their opponents ERA? Because it could be ballpark/conditions swayed. I'm not doubting the Cubs are a good team, but I just think they have some flaws this year, and the division might not be as terrible as I thought it would be.

Also, pitching is everything, you need to score runs to win games too, and A-Ram will be a big loss for them

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
Cubs are making winning baseball games seem very easy now. With Manny out, there's little question they're the best in the NL.

I'd say there's plenty of question of that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
I'd say there's plenty of question of that.

Who else? Cardinals have come crashing down to earth, Brewers just don't have the positioning, and the NL East beats up on each other. I was shocked to see the Marlins around .500 after their amazing start.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
Who else? Cardinals have come crashing down to earth, Brewers just don't have the positioning, and the NL East beats up on each other. I was shocked to see the Marlins around .500 after their amazing start.

The Brewers, Cardinals, Reds, and Mets all have similar records to the Cubs, and until you tell me how the injuries are going to work out or which teams are going to be buyers at the deadline (the Cubs have nothing to offer except money), it certainly seems like they're no where near as far ahead of the rest of the league as they were last year.

If the NL East is just beating each other up...the Central has 4 teams with virtually identical records.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
The Brewers, Cardinals, Reds, and Mets all have similar records to the Cubs, and until you tell me how the injuries are going to work out or which teams are going to be buyers at the deadline (the Cubs have nothing to offer except money), it certainly seems like they're no where near as far ahead of the rest of the league as they were last year.

If the NL East is just beating each other up...the Central has 4 teams with virtually identical records.

You don't need much now a days to get something decent in return. Example, the Cubs traded a bag o' crap to Oakland for Rich Harden last year. In my opinion Milwaukee still has the best chance of knocking them off if the Brew Crew can pick up some pitching (Peavy) at the deadline. Not sold on the Cardinals or Reds even though the Reds might be a year away from being a contender with their young pitching.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2009 -> 07:05 PM)

Wouldn't you agree though that the Cubs offense to start the year was about as bad as it was going to be? Lee and Bradley aren't going to hit under .200 all year, and it's likely Soto will pick it up. The Cubs aren't as good as they were last year, but none of the teams in the division are.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
Wouldn't you agree though that the Cubs offense to start the year was about as bad as it was going to be? Lee and Bradley aren't going to hit under .200 all year, and it's likely Soto will pick it up. The Cubs aren't as good as they were last year, but none of the teams in the division are.

And the Caridinals aren't going to get better as the year goes on if Carpenter comes back? And the Brewers can't keep going or get more out of JJ Hardy? The Reds can't get better as Votto and Bruce develop? And what happens when Soriano makes his DL trip? Or when Ryan Theriot either stops doing his Chris Shelton impression or gets suspended for steroids?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
And the Caridinals aren't going to get better as the year goes on if Carpenter comes back? And the Brewers can't keep going or get more out of JJ Hardy? The Reds can't get better as Votto and Bruce develop? And what happens when Soriano makes his DL trip? Or when Ryan Theriot either stops doing his Chris Shelton impression or gets suspended for steroids?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but go back and look what I said: with Manny out, there's little question they're the best in the NL. When Manny returns in 2 months, who knows who will be on the DL.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Lance Berkman continues to be Mr. Un-clutch against the Cubs. BTW, Cecil Cooper is a horrendous manager. How are you not bunting with Michaels at the plate?

Cooper should be fired if they lose this game, horrible managing.