2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
Still hasn't given up a run this year, which is crazy, as his stuff doesn't look that good.

His pure movement stuff doesn't, but from what I've seen he seems to be locating well and not making too many mistakes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
I hate to say it since he is supposed to be such a great guy, but D Lee looks about 20-30 lbs lighter than a few seasons ago. He is downright skinny.

And thankfully, the Cubs keep playing him instead of Hoffpauir.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
I wonder if a Peavy deal would force the Cubs hand into making a move. Similar to how the Harden trade came a day after the Sabathia one. Hendry's a very reactionary GM.

That was within the division as opposed to a team they play 6 times a year. It's rare for big trades to go down this early, so I'm not sure who they would get.

However, if Peavy rejects coming to the Sox, I wouldn't be suprised if the Pads call the Cubs and try to finish that deal

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
That was within the division as opposed to a team they play 6 times a year. It's rare for big trades to go down this early, so I'm not sure who they would get.

However, if Peavy rejects coming to the Sox, I wouldn't be suprised if the Pads call the Cubs and try to finish that deal

As soon as the Cubs trade Aramis Ramirez to the Sox for Josh Fields and Aaron Poreda, they'll have the talent to do so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)
As soon as the Cubs trade Aramis Ramirez to the Sox for Josh Fields and Aaron Poreda, they'll have the talent to do so.

true, and that's the one reason I think this is taking awhile, although it is only 9:15 in CA, so it is earlier here and Peavy might want to double check with family, but back on track, I think he's talking with the Pads to see if it's the Sox or nothing for the foreseeable future or if there's other legit possabilities to a team he's indicated he was OK with in the past. If they say, no, nobody is really offering much and the Sox offer is better than everyones right now, he comes.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
true, and that's the one reason I think this is taking awhile, although it is only 9:15 in CA, so it is earlier here and Peavy might want to double check with family, but back on track, I think he's talking with the Pads to see if it's the Sox or nothing for the foreseeable future or if there's other legit possabilities to a team he's indicated he was OK with in the past. If they say, no, nobody is really offering much and the Sox offer is better than everyones right now, he comes.

It's certainly possible that other teams could offer the Pads more for Peavy...but given his contract, esp. with the option presumably picked up, the only teams that might genuinely do so would be people like Boston, NY, or maybe someone really creative like Atlanta. No one else in "Middle America" is going to be coming close to that. The Cubs would make the offer if they could, they can't. They haven't got the players.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:15 PM)
Cubs lineup is hilarious tonight. It's all .200 hitters basically from Lee (in the four hole) until the pitcher.

So it's the Sox lineup?

Cubs will be interesting this year, their offense isn't lighting it up without A-Ram and they have a questionable pen. The big X-factor is Levine saying today that the payroll is absolutely at a ceiling until the sale is finalized and then Ricketts probably can't add a ton. If Bailey gives the Reds anything this could be an interesting NL central

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
Usually on disappointing days for the White Sox (today qualifies, I'd say), the Cubs almost always win. It's like the baseball gods kicking me when I'm down. Go for the sweep Cards!

dude i hope they get shut out again...because then i can tell all my homo cub fan friends (and you can tell all those ppl who texted you) that id way rather take 2 of 3 and lose the one game 20-1 than to get swept and score 1 run all series

QUOTE (Brian @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
Are Cub fans glad Fontenot is playing everyday now?

That's so strange to me. Whenever I saw him play last year, he did well. His numbers have been great in the past, but man he sucks right now.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Watching the Padres (BTW, do yourself a favor and check out Heath Bell's performance vs righties this year) and I hope Adrian Gonzalez is ok. He botched a bad-hop grounder, and looked like he damaged his right thumb. Hopefully he's able to play in the Cubs series this wknd.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
Watching the Padres (BTW, do yourself a favor and check out Heath Bell's performance vs righties this year) and I hope Adrian Gonzalez is ok. He botched a bad-hop grounder, and looked like he damaged his right thumb. Hopefully he's able to play in the Cubs series this wknd.

eek, thumb injuries can be almost as bad for a hitter as wrist injuries. Beyond screwing the Cubs, he is a great player and would be a shame if he is lost for a significant amount of time... it's the PEAVY CURSE!!!!!

Yeah, if Bell keeps it up (obviously it won't be a .000 ERA or whatever ridiculous level it's at now), the Pads should be able to get a haul for him at the deadline.