2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 22, 2009 -> 05:54 AM)
He's a good hitter, i think he'll be okay when he works his s*** out. The real problem is Lee, A-Ram, Dempster and the bullpen.

I wonder what happened to Soto's HGH supplier? What, no more amazing offseason training programs that allows him to lose 20 pounds while hitting the ball 100 feet farther?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
Watching the Padres (BTW, do yourself a favor and check out Heath Bell's performance vs righties this year) and I hope Adrian Gonzalez is ok. He botched a bad-hop grounder, and looked like he damaged his right thumb. Hopefully he's able to play in the Cubs series this wknd.

Maybe Peavy will waive the NTC now that his best chance for offense may be gone :P

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)
I wonder what happened to Soto's HGH supplier? What, no more amazing offseason training programs that allows him to lose 20 pounds while hitting the ball 100 feet farther?

lol, yeah, nobody was suprised that a 27 year old suddenly started hitting way above his career numbers.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)

I think he stole all of DLEE's food in the offseason.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ May 22, 2009 -> 05:42 PM)
The Score just reported that Rich Harden was placed on the DL with back pain. 7th time since 05 that he's been DL'ed

thats funny lol and hes been awful this year(now they really could use peavy...)

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ May 22, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
thats funny lol and hes been awful this year(now they really could use peavy...)

Yeah, i'd love to have a pitcher this "awful".

"W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HB BB SO AVG WHIP GO/AO sequence

4 2 4.74 8 8 0 0 0 0 43.2 39 24 23 8 2 21 53 .236 1.37 0.79

He hasn't been great, but nothing suggests he's a terrible pitcher. The ERA has been inflated due to bad luck, and a slightly tenative start. The Cubs have done a lot of dumb things over the past few years, but they knew what they were getting into with Harden, he's an injury-prone pitcher, but when he's hot and healthy he's one of the better pitchers in the game.

Edited by Thunderbolt

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harderi01.shtml

His ERA+ this year is 96, meaning he's about 4% worse than an average MLB pitcher (Crude stat, but quick and informative). Usually with him you get a well above average pitcher while he's playing, then he gets hurt, this year the Cubs didn't even get that so far.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 23, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harderi01.shtml

His ERA+ this year is 96, meaning he's about 4% worse than an average MLB pitcher (Crude stat, but quick and informative). Usually with him you get a well above average pitcher while he's playing, then he gets hurt, this year the Cubs didn't even get that so far.

You can take a guy who looks like a hall of famer, injure him 8 times, and suddenly he won't look like the same guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
You can take a guy who looks like a hall of famer, injure him 8 times, and suddenly he won't look like the same guy.

100% correct. Before the Greinke explosion, i used to say that alongside Lineceum, Harden had the best raw stuff in the league when healthy. By no means was he ever the best pitcher, but his changeup used to be phenomenal. Yet due to injury, he can't throw the thing anymore. Eventually, his arm is going to crap out on him for good, the Cubs need to get whatever they can from him.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 23, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
100% correct. Before the Greinke explosion, i used to say that alongside Lineceum, Harden had the best raw stuff in the league when healthy. By no means was he ever the best pitcher, but his changeup used to be phenomenal. Yet due to injury, he can't throw the thing anymore. Eventually, his arm is going to crap out on him for good, the Cubs need to get whatever they can from him.

it was quiet, but in the offseason both radio stations reported there was some internal discussion on whether or not to pick up his option.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 23, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
it was quiet, but in the offseason both radio stations reported there was some internal discussion on whether or not to pick up his option.

It wasnt quiet at all. It was all over the papers "Will the Cubs pick up Hardens option?", they made a soap opera over it. The score was following it like it was a hot story

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 24, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
It wasnt quiet at all. It was all over the papers "Will the Cubs pick up Hardens option?", they made a soap opera over it. The score was following it like it was a hot story

yeah it was everywhere.

on another note...it blows my mind how bad the Cubs are this year. That lineup is god awful especially with Ramirez out of it.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 24, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
yeah it was everywhere.

on another note...it blows my mind how bad the Cubs are this year. That lineup is god awful especially with Ramirez out of it.

It doesn't suprise me that they're struggling, just didn't expect a horrible stretch like this. Their pen was shaky, Bradley having to play in the field was a huge risk, Soto was no guarantee to come back as productive as he was, Lee was questionable, Dempster had a career year and now add the injuries they've had it's a perfect storm. With that said, unless the Brewers or the Cards make a big move, the Cubs will be in the race all year.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
I'm real happy Bud Black pitched Heath Bell in a 4-0 game last night with 2 outs and made it so he couldn't use him tonight.

Edward Mujica? WTF? I wanted Bell to get me some fantasy points.

I still like the Cubs in this division.

I wish we were .500. If we just stuck around there, we'd have a chance.

Our team is so f***ing dysfunctional.

Do you all agree Cubs are in the playoffs?

Too much talent to not make it.