2009 Cubs thread

daa84

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2009 -> 02:26 AM)
I still like the Cubs in this division.

I wish we were .500. If we just stuck around there, we'd have a chance.

Our team is so f***ing dysfunctional.

Do you all agree Cubs are in the playoffs?

Too much talent to not make it.

I would make them the favorite, but not as confident as I was awhile ago. Alot hinges on when and how strong Ramirez comes back for them and if they can get another good bullpen arm.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 25, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
Milton Bradley "The Umps are forcing me to swing at bad pitches"

delusional.

"Unfortunately, I just think it's a lot of 'Oh, you did this to my colleague,' or 'We're going to get him any time we can,'" Bradley said, according to the Chicago Tribune. "'As soon as he gets two strikes, we're going to call whatever and see what he does. Let's try to ruin Milton Bradley.'

Wow, he actually believes that?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2009 -> 01:26 AM)
Do you all agree Cubs are in the playoffs?

Too much talent to not make it.

Get real. They're the Cubs.

OK, even if they make the playoffs what are they gonna do? Choke. Some things never change. They the f***ing Cubs.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 25, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
I would make them the favorite, but not as confident as I was awhile ago. Alot hinges on when and how strong Ramirez comes back for them and if they can get another good bullpen arm.

A big issue is that the Cards and Brewers can't hit either right now. The Cubs complain about injuries, but the Cards have 3 starters out in Ankiel, Ludwick, and Glaus. Weeks is a huge loss for the Brewers.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 25, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)
A big issue is that the Cards and Brewers can't hit either right now. The Cubs complain about injuries, but the Cards have 3 starters out in Ankiel, Ludwick, and Glaus. Weeks is a huge loss for the Brewers.

Not one to defend the Cubs, but A-Ram, D-Lee, and Bradley have hardly been in the lineup. Everybody's in the same boat. (don't you ever forget!)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:12 AM)
1-0 Pirates on an Rbi single by Laroche. Top of the 1st.

Don't worry, Pirates remembered they're the Pirates. Laroche booted a grounder at 3rd base, allowing Theriot to get a "double" to score a run.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:30 AM)
I didn't realize the Pirates were +7 in runs scored versus allowed yet still four under .500. This ump has a huge zone against Soto.

He did bail out Theriot on a pitch that should have easily been strike 3.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 25, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
Jim Hendry should get his ass fired pretty soon. I sure hope not though.

He won the division 2 years in a row. He's made some mistakes, but he's done the job with what he's had to work with. It'll be a year or two of the debacle of all these guys getting old and expensive with no draftees coming behind them before you start talking about that. His job was to do everything he could to try to win a title the last couple years before the team was sold.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 25, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
The Cub's window is rapidly closing as is. If they screw this season up it's probably shut tight.

It's going to depend on their new ownership and how much they're willing to spend.

The Cubs right now are hitting the point the Yankees hit in like 2002-2004...they can still compete, but it's going to cost them a fortune to fill holes since they don't have any kids available, and they now have contracts that are getting to the bad point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
He won the division 2 years in a row. He's made some mistakes, but he's done the job with what he's had to work with. It'll be a year or two of the debacle of all these guys getting old and expensive with no draftees coming behind them before you start talking about that. His job was to do everything he could to try to win a title the last couple years before the team was sold.

I like to think of Jim Hendry as a guy who makes the obvious moves but in a dumb fashion. Like massively overspending for good hitters. He's also a guy who makes trades just to make them. Like with Pie, Wuertz and Derosa. He hasn’t had a real winner of a trade since Aramis Ramirez and is far too fascinated with the grinder-breed of players.