2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ May 25, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
Pirates closer Capps took a wicked line shot from Soto off his arm and had to leave the game. He had to have broke something from the way that looked.

No break/fracture according to x-rays.

Cubs have lost 8 in a row. Still makes me wonder: What's the longest losing streak for a team that ultimately wins the division? I still think they will win that division.

-- i haven't followed the Cubs closely this year. How are Harden and Lilly doing? I know Dempster got lit last night, but is he having a bad season after last year's dominating one?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:49 AM)
Cubs have lost 8 in a row. Still makes me wonder: What's the longest losing streak for a team that ultimately wins the division? I still think they will win that division.

-- i haven't followed the Cubs closely this year. How are Harden and Lilly doing? I know Dempster got lit last night, but is he having a bad season after last year's dominating one?

Harden is on the DL, Lilly is meh, Dempster has been less than worth his contract.

I just saw the replays from yesterday... Is there any bigger embarrassment in professional sports than the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley? Good god, find a tape of Harry doing it, and retire the whole celeb thing, except for maybe special occasions. It is a complete joke now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
I just saw the replays from yesterday... Is there any bigger embarrassment in professional sports than the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley? Good god, find a tape of Harry doing it, and retire the whole celeb thing, except for maybe special occasions. It is a complete joke now.

I think they need to move past the tribute to Harry and get one person to do it from this point forward, or go with a recording of Harry. It would probably be better to get a person to do it, they could choose from Brenly, Kasper, Santo and Hughes

It has become quite an embarrassing spectacle

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 26, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
Cubs fans clamoring for Josh Vitters. "He can't be worse than what we have now." Almost as dumb as Sox fans who want Beckham up. God damn I'm glad fans in no way shape or form have a say so in how a club is run.

It's much, much dumber. Josh Vitters in 20 years old. He's also their only prospect.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
Cubs fans clamoring for Josh Vitters. "He can't be worse than what we have now." Almost as dumb as Sox fans who want Beckham up. God damn I'm glad fans in no way shape or form have a say so in how a club is run.

Except Beckham is in AA and Vitters is in LOW A

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
It's much, much dumber. Josh Vitters in 20 years old. He's also their only prospect.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
Except Beckham is in AA and Vitters is in LOW A

Well from the Cubs' viewpoint they're going to be without Ramirez for quite a while and Fotenot is bad at baseball. So they're pretty desperate right now. We're just looking for a quick fix because Josh has struggled. I agree that Josh has been terrible. But it's not time to give up on him before we've even hit June.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
Up until the game starts it is. After that it is in the umps hands.

I thought there was even a time limit before the game for it to be the team's call. I remember, i think it was the 2000 team, where the Sox had a weird rotation glitch either due to injury or a previous double header where Tanyon Sutrze was going to have to start a game and the Sox called the game like 8 hours beforehand due to bad weather forecast and I remember the reporter saying the Sox had the call up until a certain point then the umps had the call.

Whatever though, yeah, once it's gametime or during the game it's the umps, could you imagine games in September when a competing team was up 1 run after the game was official, they would be rushing to call it during a light shower.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
I thought there was even a time limit before the game for it to be the team's call. I remember, i think it was the 2000 team, where the Sox had a weird rotation glitch either due to injury or a previous double header where Tanyon Sutrze was going to have to start a game and the Sox called the game like 8 hours beforehand due to bad weather forecast and I remember the reporter saying the Sox had the call up until a certain point then the umps had the call.

Whatever though, yeah, once it's gametime or during the game it's the umps, could you imagine games in September when a competing team was up 1 run after the game was official, they would be rushing to call it during a light shower.

Up until the line-ups have been turned in, I believe its the home team's call except if its the opponents last trip in that year.

Truly comical Zambrano meltdown just moments ago -- close play at home on a wild pitch, Carlos puts down the tag, runner called safe -- Zambrano goes apes***, bumping the umpire, throwing his mitt, hurling the ball all the way to the warning track, and then goes into the dugout and takes a bat to the wall and the Gatorade machine. Awesomely hilarious.