2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
Nobody has mentioned Don Cooper calling Zambrano an asshole and saying that his antics wouldn't be tolerated on the Sox?

A bit hypocritical given that time Buehrle took the bat to the heater. That being said Z is an impulsive, childish player. And Buehrle seems to have proven that this was a heat of the moment thing and that he's one of the more classy players in the game.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
A bit hypocritical given that time Buehrle took the bat to the heater. That being said Z is an impulsive, childish player. And Buehrle seems to have proven that this was a heat of the moment thing and that he's one of the more classy players in the game.

The two instances are not even in the same universe. Get back to me when Mark bumps and umpire and fires a baseball into the OF after a large temper tantrum.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2009 -> 02:40 AM)
The two instances are not even in the same universe. Get back to me when Mark bumps and umpire and fires a baseball into the OF after a large temper tantrum.

Couldn't agree more. It was pissing me off hearing Chicago sports radio hosts trying to say Cooper is a hypocrite. Zambrano's antics were embarrassing to the game of baseball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)

I believe in the aforementioned interview with Coop, he said something to the effect of “my players would never show such a public display of emotion.” I agree that the acts in and of them are not equal, nor given the history of the players involved are they really a worthy comparison.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
Couldn't agree more. It was pissing me off hearing Chicago sports radio hosts trying to say Cooper is a hypocrite. Zambrano's antics were embarrassing to the game of baseball.

I'd agree with this. On the surface, criticism of Coop's comments make sense, but then you realize that this Carlos Zambrano. He does this crap every damn year and he gets painted as innocent and youthful. Meanwhile, Ozzie's a monster if he does something of any similar vein.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)
So the Dodgers have to let the pitcher bat with 2 outs and runners on 2nd/3rd in the 9th inning cause Broxton's out. I hate the NL.

I can only imagine the beating Ozzie would take for this...

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)
f***, Broxton's not available to close out the game tonight. How comes this never happens to the other team when the Sox are playing?

Josh Hamilton, Evan Longoria....

QUOTE (tommy @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
If it was last year, Cubs come back and win this one.

Something is missing this year, and I like it.

I agree 100%, in fact the way that game was going, Dodgers getting hits and wasting opportunities or poor base running, led me to believe the Cubs were winning that game.

Ramirez is a huge loss for them, and I know I'm not breaking any news with that one, but Soto is really hurting them by just doing absolutely nothing.

Do the Dodgers have any legitimate weaknesses? I mean something you can point to and say that could hinder them at some point this season? The Phillies have MAJOR starting pitching issues. Same with the Mets (outside of Johan). Not really sure what to make of the Cardinals and Brewers to this point. Reds have trouble scoring runs consistently. Not even gonna mention the Cubs (I guess I just did). The Dodgers have the perfect blend of youth/vets/depth.

It looks like the ump intiated contact, and the last time I recall a pitcher chucking something (his glove) into the crowd was Cliff Lee in Toronto. I can't recall if he was suspended.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 29, 2009 -> 05:25 AM)
It looks like the ump intiated contact, and the last time I recall a pitcher chucking something (his glove) into the crowd was Cliff Lee in Toronto. I can't recall if he was suspended.

Zambrano pushed the ump off of him then tossed the ump out.