2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Nokona @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
What in god's name just happened

Their bullpen happened. It's hilarious that all of their problems for some reason are attributed to injuries. There's rarely any mention of how awful their bullpen is.

Cubs bullpen rankings (among NL teams only).

BB: 84 (14th)

BB/9: 5.73 (16th)

HR/9: 1.09 (15th)

ERA: 4.70 (13th)

These numbers don't include tonight's implosion. But everything will be fine once Aramis Longoria returns.

Edited by Jordan4life

Yeah I just saw the Zambrano article on the Trib website. Says the team is not happy he skipped the flight. Wow. May have to apologize to his teammates.

He's a great talent, but kind of a flake.

That loss tonight by the Cubs is the kind of loss that back in the day ended the Sox season.

Seems years ago (pre Ozzie era) we'd lose a horrific heartbreaker like that one and go in the tank and our season was Ova.

This will probably blow over when he apologizes, but interesting that the team is mad.

Lou Pinella seems to be losing this team and either he doesn't care or the players do not.

Their bullpen consists of 1.5 guys and I am not sure Marmol is even a 1. Their starters are covering a good portion of this by going deep into games but the offense is not making it easy. If Milt is out, they are in serious trouble.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
Lou Pinella seems to be losing this team and either he doesn't care or the players do not.

Their bullpen consists of 1.5 guys and I am not sure Marmol is even a 1. Their starters are covering a good portion of this by going deep into games but the offense is not making it easy. If Milt is out, they are in serious trouble.

Marmol isn’t just a one, he’s one of the better ones in the league. As soon as he gets his control issues down he’ll be back on track. The rest of the bullpen is a black hole. Which Jim Hendry should have to publically account for assembling.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
How many times has this been an issue for him?

When he is the only reliable guy he needs to be automatic.

agreed. Same thing was repeated about MacDougal too, and he never regained any semblance of the control and effectiveness that he had when the Sox gave him that contract.

Sometimes guys just never are able to keep it together

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
agreed. Same thing was repeated about MacDougal too, and he never regained any semblance of the control and effectiveness that he had when the Sox gave him that contract.

He has only been pitching for a few of years so you never really have a track record or history to look that far back on.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)

Matt Thornton had the same problems in Seattle.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
Matt Thornton had the same problems in Seattle.

I think a bigger part of the problem with Thornton in Seattle is a lack of direction. They wanted him to start, middle relief, long relief. It wasnt until he got to the Sox where they said "You are a lefty setup guy, go do it"

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
I think a bigger part of the problem with Thornton in Seattle is a lack of direction. They wanted him to start, middle relief, long relief. It wasnt until he got to the Sox where they said "You are a lefty setup guy, go do it"

His walk numbers were MacDougal-esque. I don't know if that would have changed with a defined role or not, but they were over 6.5 per nine innings pitched. That is just scary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
His walk numbers were MacDougal-esque. I don't know if that would have changed with a defined role or not, but they were over 6.5 per nine innings pitched. That is just scary.

Coop definitely fixed him in that respect, but that is another time another argument.

Marmol seems to of lost it for a period of time every year since he has been up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)

Coop fixed him in ONE side session. He had a mechanical flaw that they saw when they scouted him and they basically fixed him in one day. I'm not sure it was role-based as much as the guy was never shown how to pitch to his style.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
Coop fixed him in ONE side session. He had a mechanical flaw that they saw when they scouted him and they basically fixed him in one day. I'm not sure it was role-based as much as the guy was never shown how to pitch to his style.

IIRC, it was bad enough that Cooper had spotted it years before. Like KW traded for him then told Cooper "There, you've got him".