2009 Cubs thread

daa84

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
The Cubs caught the Reds at the perfect time, with Votto, Volquez, and Encarnacion all out. And of course they missed Cueto and Harang. I still think the Reds can contend once they get heatlthy.

I agree. Their pitching/defense is pretty damn good. Their offense should improve. Especially now that we've hit the summer months. And they've got plenty of legit trade chips in their farm system that they can go out and make a move if they choose.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 11:39 PM)
Yet the NL won the World Series last year.

The Phillies won the World Series last year. Not the NL. And the NL, for the most part, is indeed awful.

Q: Is this the year the Flubs embarrass us and win all six?

Doubtful. They're just about as bad as we are.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 05:29 AM)
Doubtful. They're just about as bad as we are.

Their starting pitching is significantly better than ours (being in the NL helps). Hopefully CQ is back for those games and that we skip Colon's start. We're going to see Zambrano, Dempster, and Wells in the series at Wrigley. We won't match up well with no Thome in the lineup against those righties.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 12:40 AM)
Their starting pitching is significantly better than ours (being in the NL helps). Hopefully CQ is back for those games and that we skip Colon's start. We're going to see Zambrano, Dempster, and Wells in the series at Wrigley. We won't match up well with no Thome in the lineup against those righties.

Better? Maybe. Significantly? Not a chance. When Danks gets his head out of his ass (and his peripherals suggest he will), combined with Gavin seemingly overcoming his horrific start, I'll go with our top 3 over their top 3 without much thought. So then it comes down to Harden/Wells/Marshall vs Richard/Colon/Contreras. You could go either way here. Harden wasn't pitching that well before going on the DL for the 676th time. He'll be a major ? from here on out. I don't believe for a second Randy Wells is this good. And Marshall pretty much sucks. Clayton had been pitching pretty well before his last start (he's still obviously a ?). There's no inbetween with Colon. He's either going to give u a chance to win or the game will be over by the third inning. And Contreras pretty much sucks.

The Cubs are first in all of baseball in quality starts after today. Funny comment from my horrible experience at an in-laws party tonight with all Cubs fans. They were talking about the Cubs, and a few of them go "the one player who we really need to get rid of is that Marmol guy".

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 01:10 AM)
The Cubs are first in all of baseball in quality starts after today. Funny comment from my horrible experience at an in-laws party tonight with all Cubs fans. They were talking about the Cubs, and a few of them go "the one player who we really need to get rid of is that Marmol guy".

Cubs fans have never been known for their baseball acumen. Carlos Marmol is probably the filthiest (I obviously mean that in a good way) RP in all of baseball. As much as I hate to admit it, his BB/9 can't possibly remain at 8.33 for the entire year.

That comment is probably based on him blowing it in the playoffs 2 years ago. Not that this should have any relevance to today, but to a Cubs fan, it does.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 12:40 AM)

better because the NL helps their numbers, pitcher by pitcher we have them beat. Our pen blows theirs away.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:38 PM)
better because the NL helps their numbers, pitcher by pitcher we have them beat. Our pen blows theirs away.

I'd take Zambrano/Lilly/Dempster/Wells/Harden over Buehrle/Floyd/Danks/Richard/Contreras

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
I'd take Zambrano/Lilly/Dempster/Wells/Harden over Buehrle/Floyd/Danks/Richard/Contreras

Me too, that's the one area they have us beat in. I'd take our pen over theirs though.