2009 Cubs thread

daa84

I dont even think I really root against the Cubs anymore,I dont have to. Its the fun in the anticipation of how are they gonna screw this one up. It can happen within a game or a series and eventually they will find a way to implode by the end of the season. It provides alot of entertainment for me throughtout the summer and sometimes fall.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
I dont even think I really root against the Cubs anymore,I dont have to. Its the fun in the anticipation of how are they gonna screw this one up. It can happen within a game or a series and eventually they will find a way to implode by the end of the season. It provides alot of entertainment for me throughtout the summer and sometimes fall.

i agree...but, isn't getting entertainment from them losing the same thing as rooting against them? One of these years (sooner rather than later IMO) that team is going to win the pennant and possibly World Series...they are consistently putting out a division winning product and will continue to do so as long as they outspend everyone in that division by alot, and eventually they will breakthrough in the playoffs (Nearly happened in 03) ...I guess i'm just bracing myself for it, and i really think it could happen for them this year, although that makes it much more enjoyable when they do lose

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
i agree...but, isn't getting entertainment from them losing the same thing as rooting against them? One of these years (sooner rather than later IMO) that team is going to win the pennant and possibly World Series...they are consistently putting out a division winning product and will continue to do so as long as they outspend everyone in that division by alot, and eventually they will breakthrough in the playoffs (Nearly happened in 03) ...I guess i'm just bracing myself for it, and i really think it could happen for them this year, although that makes it much more enjoyable when they do lose

Very true. And the new owner suppposedly met his wife at a Cubs game so if he's a big fan they'll probably continue to spend money and be a perennial playoff contender. They'll become the Yankees of the NL. That makes me sick even thinking about it. I'm sure someone's about to say "the Yankees haven't won the WS in 8 years" or whatever but that's not even the point. You hate to wish injury on anyone but that might be the only way to slow the Cubs down if they keep spending and the rest of the division doesn't (whatever happened to the Cardinals, by the way??).

If the Cubs start making the playoffs year after year after year, no one but us Sox fans will even know the Sox exist in this town. Hell, it's almost like that now.

QUOTE (JustWin @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
Very true. And the new owner suppposedly met his wife at a Cubs game so if he's a big fan they'll probably continue to spend money and be a perennial playoff contender. They'll become the Yankees of the NL. That makes me sick even thinking about it. I'm sure someone's about to say "the Yankees haven't won the WS in 8 years" or whatever but that's not even the point. You hate to wish injury on anyone but that might be the only way to slow the Cubs down if they keep spending and the rest of the division doesn't (whatever happened to the Cardinals, by the way??).

If the Cubs start making the playoffs year after year after year, no one but us Sox fans will even know the Sox exist in this town. Hell, it's almost like that now.

It won't be nearly that bad. Even in bad years now, the Sox are drawing much better than they were.

Look at what the organization has done in this decade (2000-2008):

--3 division titles

--a World Championship

--Competitive teams into late season almost every year

--Significant renovations to the ballpark

--Added lots of kid-friendly amenities

The Sox have become a winning organization. Very few teams can make the same claim as the first three points above - maybe only NYY. And now that people have been coming to the stadium, they are seeing what a great experience it has become. The Sox have drawn a new generation of fans, with the smart marketing, especially for kids, who will be more likely to be ticket buyers as adults (whereas Wrigley is just not good for kids - I know parents that are just not willing to take them to that park now because of the crowd, parking issues, etc.). The organization has also set itself up to be very good for the next few years, talent-wise, while the Cubs' system is barren. The neighborhoods in the area are much safer, and we are getting a new Metra station.

Even if the Cubs do finally win a World Series, the Sox are not going to drop to where they were in the late 90's. The Sox aren't likely to overtake the Cubs in popularity, but they won't lose a lot more ground either.

QUOTE (JustWin @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)

I think the second day after the announcement he basically said it won't be an open checkbook. The Sox will always have their core fans which has been big enough to have a top 10 (5?) payroll the last few years. As long as the Sox make an effort and put a winning product on the field they will make money

Lou Piniella outraged by ESPN analyst's criticism

March 3, 2009

MESA, Ariz. — ESPN baseball analyst Steve Phillips might want to steer clear of Lou Piniella when the Cubs play Milwaukee on an April 12 ESPN telecast.

Piniella was fuming over a remark Phillips made recently on Chet Coppock's WMVP-AM 1000 radio show. Asked about Kosuke Fukudome's rookie season, Phillips criticized Piniella's handling of the Japanese outfielder.

"My view is Lou doesn't have a great deal of patience for assimilation into culture, assimilation into the team," Phillips said. "He is just not the most patient guy around, and he tends to verbalize his frustrations in an angry way. I think that may have affected Fukudome a little bit."

Piniella played Fukudome in 150 games and gave him 501 at-bats, sticking with the right fielder despite his struggles before sitting him for a brief stretch in September. Fukudome then started the first two playoff games before Piniella sat him in Game 3.

"I don't have much respect for Steve Phillips," Piniella said after hearing the comment Monday. "Let him be around a little more and see what transpires before he makes assumptions. I've lost total respect for this guy. If he had something to say, let him say it to me."

Trib

What I especially love about Phillips' "analysis" is that Piniella was in Seattle when they brought in Ichiro among other Japanese players. He probably understands "assimilation" better than most.

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Trib

What I especially love about Phillips' "analysis" is that Piniella was in Seattle when they brought in Ichiro among other Japanese players. He probably understands "assimilation" better than most.

Fukucrappy's swing had the most to do with the fact he didnt hit.

This is hilarious BTW. Bradley's injury history

Sep 19, 2008: Missed 2 games (left wrist injury).

Sep 16, 2008: Left wrist injury, day-to-day.

Sep 12, 2008: Missed 2 games (wrist injury).

Sep 6, 2008: Wrist injury, day-to-day.

Aug 18, 2008: Missed 2 games (illness).

Aug 16, 2008: Illness, day-to-day.

Aug 10, 2008: Missed 5 games (strained left quadriceps).

Aug 5, 2008: Strained left quadriceps, day-to-day.

Aug 4, 2008: Missed 5 games (quadricep injury).

Jul 30, 2008: Quadricep injury, day-to-day.

Jul 12, 2008: Missed 1 game (left knee injury).

Jul 11, 2008: Left knee injury, day-to-day.

Jun 24, 2008: Missed 1 game (strained left quadriceps).

Jun 22, 2008: Strained left quadriceps, day-to-day.

Jun 20, 2008: Missed 2 games (quadricep injury).

Jun 18, 2008: Quadricep injury, day-to-day.

May 31, 2008: Missed 1 game (dizziness).

May 30, 2008: Dizziness, day-to-day.

May 16, 2008: Missed 2 games (right shoulder injury).

May 13, 2008: Right shoulder injury, day-to-day.

May 2, 2008: Missed 1 game (hamstring).

May 1, 2008: Hamstring, day-to-day.

Sep 24, 2007: Torn ACL, sidelined indefinitely.

Sep 21, 2007: Missed 12 games (right oblique muscle strain).

Sep 11, 2007: Right oblique muscle strain, day-to-day.

Aug 8, 2007: Missed 4 games (hamstring).

Aug 4, 2007: Hamstring, day-to-day.

Jul 7, 2007: Missed 8 games (oblique injury).

Jul 1, 2007: Oblique injury, 15-day DL (retroactive to June 21).

Jun 20, 2007: Missed 16 games (calf injury).

Jun 8, 2007: Calf injury, 15-day DL (retroactive to June 3rd).

Jun 3, 2007: Calf injury, day-to-day.

May 30, 2007: Missed 14 games (hamstring).

May 23, 2007: Hamstring, 15-day DL (retroactive to May 15th).

May 22, 2007: Hamstring, day-to-day.

May 19, 2007: Missed 4 games (hamstring).

May 17, 2007: Hamstring, day-to-day.

May 11, 2007: Missed 15 games (hamstring).

Apr 23, 2007: Hamstring, 15-day DL.

Apr 20, 2007: Missed 6 games (hamstring).

Apr 13, 2007: Hamstring, day-to-day.

Sep 1, 2006: Missed 1 game (ankle injury).

Aug 30, 2006: Ankle injury, day-to-day.

Jul 14, 2006: Missed 20 games (shoulder injury).

Jun 20, 2006: Shoulder injury, 15-day DL.

Jun 19, 2006: Shoulder injury, day-to-day.

Jun 6, 2006: Missed 36 games (right knee injury).

May 7, 2006: Right knee injury, 15-day DL (retroactive to April 27th).

Apr 27, 2006: Right knee injury, day-to-day.

Oct 2, 2005: Missed 38 games to the end of the regular season (Torn left Patella Tendon).

Sep 2, 2005: Transferred from the 15-day DL to the 60-day DL (torn left Patella Tendon).

Aug 25, 2005: Torn left Patella Tendon, 15-day DL (retroactive to August 23rd).

Aug 23, 2005: Knee injury, day-to-day.

Jul 23, 2005: Missed 47 games (finger injury).

Jun 3, 2005: Finger injury, 15-day DL (retroactive to May 30).

May 31, 2005: Finger injury, day-to-day.

Sep 29, 2004: Suspended by the Los Angeles Dodgers for the remainder of the season.

Aug 13, 2004: Missed 1 game (hamstring).

Aug 12, 2004: Hamstring, day-to-day.

Jun 30, 2004: Missed 4 games (suspension).

Jun 3, 2004: Suspended by MLB for 4 games.

Jun 1, 2004: Missed 2 games (ankle injury).

May 31, 2004: Ankle injury, day-to-day.

May 4, 2004: Missed 3 games (ankle injury).

Apr 30, 2004: Ankle injury, day-to-day.

Aug 29, 2003: Missed 46 games to the end of the regular season (back injury).

Aug 15, 2003: Back injury, 15-day DL.

Aug 10, 2003: Back injury, day-to-day.

May 8, 2003: Missed 12 games (strained right hamstring).

Apr 26, 2003: Strained right hamstring, 15-day DL (retroactive to April 23).

Apr 23, 2003: Strained right hamstring, day-to-day.

Apr 19, 2003: Missed 1 game (hamstring).

Apr 18, 2003: Hamstring, day-to-day.

Aug 30, 2002: Missed 16 games (appendicitis).

Aug 14, 2002: Appendicitis, 15-day DL (retroactive to August 12th).

Jun 4, 2002: Missed 29 games (eye Contusion).

May 2, 2002: Eye Contusion, 15-day DL.

Apr 17, 2002: Missed 4 games (right quadricep).

Apr 11, 2002: Right quadricep, day-to-day.

Mar 1, 2002: Agreed to terms with the Cleveland Indians to a one-year contract.

From the suntimes, Soriano's opinion of the Crosstown Classic

Cubs leadoff hitter Alfonso Soriano, a former Yankee who experienced the Subway Series in New York, insists the Chicago interleague rivalry never matched the drama on Broadway anyway.

''Chicago has two teams, but it's a regular game, nothing special,'' Soriano said. ''In New York with the Mets and Yankees, the fans seem more into the games. In Chicago, with the Cubs and White Sox, I don't see the same emotion I saw with the Yankees and Mets.

Go f*** yourself Adolpho, I dont see the same player in the playoffs that I see in the regular season

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)
From the suntimes, Soriano's opinion of the Crosstown Classic

Go f*** yourself Adolpho, I dont see the same player in the playoffs that I see in the regular season

Where the hell has he been?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Where the hell has he been?

In case you haven't noticed, Alfonso isn't exactly a gamer. He just seems to kind of float through his play, padding stats and expecting to be worshipped. What does he know about intensity?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
This is hilarious BTW. Bradley's injury history

Good lord...

I still think it's a much better contract than Dempster's or Soriano's, although that is not saying much at all.

Maybe Jim Hendry missed the lesson on giving multiyear deals to ex-Rangers who'd been signed to one-year contracts as reclamation projects?

I now predict that over the 2009-10 offseason the Cubs give 9 years and $110M combined to Jason Jennings and Andruw Jones.