2009 Cubs thread

daa84

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
I just realized you could make a legit case for Mauer and Morneau as the two best hitters in the American League, if not in all of baseball.

There's no debate whatsoever as to who the best hitter in the game is. That would be Pujols. To argue otherwise is just to argue for the sake or arguing. There could be one hell of a debate for the second best hitter, though.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, Milton Bradley just took a 2-2 slider literally right down the plate that wasn't called strike 3. It might be the worst call in the history of professional sports, and I'm not sure that is an overexaggeration. Everyone on the field froze. I never want to hear another word from Cubs fans about the umpires.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
I still will never understand how Harden gets so many swings and misses. 92 mph fastball with only a splitter (disguised as a change-up). He has to have at least 20 misses already today.

His fastball seems to have very good movement based on what I've seen of him, and he has a deceptive motion. I still agree that I'm not sure how he gets that many swings and misses though.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
Perry wasn't the problem. I can't see this solving any of their woes.

There were times all the way into late last season where Gerald Perry was regarded as one of the best hitting coaches in baseball, if not a miracle worker for the job he had done transforming the Cubs offense. Less than a year later, he's fired and the fall guy for an underachieving group who has been exposed by advanced scouting reports done this past winter. Tough job being a hitting coach.

There is a difference to me between a guy like Perry and a guy like Greg Walker. There was a time for a full season where Gerald Perry appeared to be a genius, whereas I have never (no, not even when our great pitching and defense carried an average offense to a World Series) thought Greg Walker was good at his job. The only time I even thought it appeared Greg Walker was good at his job was the first half of 2006, and we all know that offense collapsed down the stretch anyways. Yet Perry is unemployed and Walker still safely employed, Strange stuff, and I'm sorry I turned this into another bash Greg Walker session, but I felt these were worthy points to bring up.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
Sorry, Holy Messiah of Sox Fans. Don't try and tell me or anyone what kind of fans we are. I probably went to my first Sox game before you were born.

The only way we gain any ground on 1st place is if the Tigers lose now, not the Twins. Hence, I will pull for the Cubs vs. Detroit, but will be neutral vs. Twins.

Hope we are watching how to hit Wells. Other way and up the middle and be patient.

I didn't tell anyone what kind of fan they were. They told me by saying they wanted the twins to win.

I really don't understand the age part though, but if it makes you feel special cause your older then me then so be it. I guess your age tells you that come September the sox wont be in a close race with the twins though.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
Perry wasn't the problem. I can't see this solving any of their woes.

I can come up with one example of a team firing its hitting coach and then catching fire with the bats: Cleveland in 05. Anyone got any better examples?

By watching the media tonight I learned that avoiding a sweep by a horrible road team who was starting a SP with an ERA over 5 and getting the winning run against a terrible reliever all while scoring 3 whole runs means all problems are solved!

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 04:33 AM)
By watching the media tonight I learned that avoiding a sweep by a horrible road team who was starting a SP with an ERA over 5 and getting the winning run against a terrible reliever all while scoring 3 whole runs means all problems are solved!

And the wind blowing in saved your starter about 5 home runs allowed while Twins were missing 3 starters.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
i thought i would be impartial...but i found myself rooting for the twins...part of it has to do with the fact that so many ignorant cub fans b**** about how bad the AL Central is (and don't get me wrong, the ALC isn't good, but I personally feel its comparable to any NL division) ....and I'd love for nothing more than the twins (now 10-20 on the road) to go into Wrigley and sweep them to prove them wrong

Yup, that got me too.

However, this series was a win-win for any Sox fan. Twins lose, we gain ground. Cubs lose, we get to laugh at them and prove their idiot fans wrong.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 14, 2009 -> 10:34 PM)
And the wind blowing in saved your starter about 5 home runs allowed while Twins were missing 3 starters.

Didn't the Twins only have 7 road wins before this series?