2009 Cubs thread

daa84

It wasn't Perry's fault that the Cubs have a bunch of injured and s***ty hitters. Just screams "making a move for the sake of making a move." Maybe now with a new hitting coach (a year removed from having one of the best offenses in baseball) the Cubs' hitters will become healthy and non-s***ty.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
It wasn't Perry's fault that the Cubs have a bunch of injured and s***ty hitters. Just screams "making a move for the sake of making a move." Maybe now with a new hitting coach (a year removed from having one of the best offenses in baseball) the Cubs' hitters will become healthy and non-s***ty.

The question is...are the numbers of Soriano and Lee due to them getting old or is it due to their technique? Are Soto's numbers due to, um, hell I'm not even going to say it, or is it due to technique?

Aside from Soto, there's not a whole heck of a ton of prime-aged talent in that lineup right now. Aramis Ramirez yes, but he's hurt. Theriot and Fontenot are their young guys and while they can be solid pieces and occasionally get hot, it's silly to expect them to carry an offense. Their problem is that their big money, big pop guys aren't producing. But 2 of their big money, big pop guys are approaching their mid 30's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
The question is...are the numbers of Soriano and Lee due to them getting old or is it due to their technique? Are Soto's numbers due to, um, hell I'm not even going to say it, or is it due to technique?

Aside from Soto, there's not a whole heck of a ton of prime-aged talent in that lineup right now. Aramis Ramirez yes, but he's hurt. Theriot and Fontenot are their young guys and while they can be solid pieces and occasionally get hot, it's silly to expect them to carry an offense. Their problem is that their big money, big pop guys aren't producing. But 2 of their big money, big pop guys are approaching their mid 30's.

That's kind of re-wording what I just said. Their guys are not producing because they are injured and/or s***ty (i.e., old). Honestly I doubt if it's their technique all of a sudden. This whole lineup was doing great last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)

Aren't Theriot an Fontenot over 30?

if the cubs don't win the Central this year im not sure how anyone can justify Jim Hendry still having a job...hes been awful...he's signed a handful of albatross contracts (DLee Soriano) assembled a terrible bullpen with no real lefty, run the minor league system into the ground (its significantly worse than ours)

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 07:44 AM)
No, but close. Fontenot just turned 29 last week, and Theriot will be 30 in December.

Seriously? H. Christ, I didn't even know that.

The Cubs traded Derosa to clear a lineup spot for a 28 year old and money for Milton Bradley? I figured he was around 25-26 if they were trying to work him in as a regular.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)

The Cubs traded Derosa to clear a lineup spot for a 28 year old and money for Milton Bradley? I figured he was around 25-26 if they were trying to work him in as a regular.

Hendry kind of lost his magic touch in the last couple of years

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 10:57 AM)

If i were guessing, i would have also said they were in their mid 20's. But i just had to look it up once their ages were called into question, and i was quite shocked. So Soto is their only everyday non-pitcher who is below 27.

Have to love Soriano assuming nobody would ever run on him. I know the scouting report says be careful running on him, but it doesn't mean he should just assume nobody will ever run on him ever. At least he's making it up at the plate /green!

Have to love Len Kasper not giving Jenks any credit for the K of Milton Bradley

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
Have to love Soriano assuming nobody would ever run on him. I know the scouting report says be careful running on him, but it doesn't mean he should just assume nobody will ever run on him ever. At least he's making it up at the plate /green!

Have to love Len Kasper not giving Jenks any credit for the K of Milton Bradley

interesting to note that Soriano will STILL be patrolling LF and hitting leadoff for the cubs in 2014 making 18 million dollars a year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
interesting to note that Soriano will STILL be patrolling LF and hitting leadoff for the cubs in 2014 making 18 million dollars a year.

Yes, but 2011 will be fun too when they're paying him and Bradley still

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
Yesterday's game definitely resuscitated the Cubs. Down 3-0 to Mr. Cy Young.

Love to see it. Can't wait to see the Trib's spin tomorrow if this game holds up. Something like "Let down understandable after big comeback VS. Sox." Hopefully Lee goes VERY deep into this game. Clev. bullpen is miserable.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Harden looks like horse poo out there

only a 98 ERA+ coming into today, outside of about 2 starts he hasn't been very good at all this year...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harderi01.shtml

however, as a post or two above said this game isn't over, the Cle bullpen is like all Linebrinks