2009 Cubs thread

daa84

If Ryne Sandberg is named manager here is the rhetoric you will hear from the minion nation;

?

"Rhino.....awesome. Rhino knows Wrigley and what it takes to win here. We would have won with Rhino in 69 and he carried us in 84, 89, 92, 96 and 03. If we had Rhino as player manager the last two years we would have won it all. Pinella couldn't handle the winning tradition that is expected here, he was a loser look at what he did in Tampa. Rhino, he is a hall of famer and a winner. He will go to Santo for advice in the playoffs and what it takes to be a winner. Santo has the rings to prove it. He can bring back Bowa to coach third, Bobby Dernier can work with the outfielders, Sarge can replace Joshua as the hitting coach and have Sutcliffe work with the pitchers. Jody can turn Soto back into the MVP winner like he was last year. RHINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! f*** ya."

Rick Sutcliffe during the game on ESPn was talking about how Derek Jeter and Chipper Jones are great because they play every day of the season from spring to the end of the year because they feel they owe it to the fans .....Jeter yes but hasn't Chipper missed huge chuck of time in more than a few seasons?????? ESPN flat out sucks.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
If Ryne Sandberg is named manager here is the rhetoric you will hear from the minion nation;

?

"Rhino.....awesome. Rhino knows Wrigley and what it takes to win here. We would have won with Rhino in 69 and he carried us in 84, 89, 92, 96 and 03. If we had Rhino as player manager the last two years we would have won it all. Pinella couldn't handle the winning tradition that is expected here, he was a loser look at what he did in Tampa. Rhino, he is a hall of famer and a winner. He will go to Santo for advice in the playoffs and what it takes to be a winner. Santo has the rings to prove it. He can bring back Bowa to coach third, Bobby Dernier can work with the outfielders, Sarge can replace Joshua as the hitting coach and have Sutcliffe work with the pitchers. Jody can turn Soto back into the MVP winner like he was last year. RHINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! f*** ya."

Rick Sutcliffe during the game on ESPn was talking about how Derek Jeter and Chipper Jones are great because they play every day of the season from spring to the end of the year because they feel they owe it to the fans .....Jeter yes but hasn't Chipper missed huge chuck of time in more than a few seasons?????? ESPN flat out sucks.

It's not like Chipper takes days off, he's been riddled with injuries. But if he's healthy enough to go, he does.

The Ricketts deal is going down soon. Its going to be interesting to see the new management style. Will he spend tons of cash? They have big time backloaded contracts they are stuck with. He's going to have to drop a lot of cash into a renovation. I just wonder how many new revenue streams will be available. I suppose they could buy all the bars in their neighborhood.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
The Ricketts deal is going down soon. Its going to be interesting to see the new management style. Will he spend tons of cash? They have big time backloaded contracts they are stuck with. He's going to have to drop a lot of cash into a renovation. I just wonder how many new revenue streams will be available. I suppose they could buy all the bars in their neighborhood.

he was having trouble getting financing for the team, I can't even imagine what the real-estate and then the cash generating value of those establishments are

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 07:36 AM)
7 back of the division, 6 back of the wild card.

Anyway you put it, they're done.

Unfortunately, we could be in the same spot in about 10 days with our brutal schedule and terribly unreliable 4th and 5th starter options.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
Unfortunately, we could be in the same spot in about 10 days with our brutal schedule and terribly unreliable 4th and 5th starter options.

Yes but the future of the Sox has them potentially being the best team in baseball next year......the cubs.....just another year older.

Never heard that one on this board before.

Weren't we supposed to be done when we played the Rays, Tigers, Twins, Yankees, and Angels?

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)

well i guess since the trib no longer owns the cubs they can take off the gloves in terms of their coverage. check out this line from that story:

The Cubs attract more than 3 million fans a year to watch a mediocre team in an aging ballpark that lacks most of the amenities of modern stadiums. The team has a national following because the games have been broadcast for years on Tribune Co.'s WGN cable superstation.

lol.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)
I was always pulling for Charlie Haeger when he was with the Sox. I guess I'm partial to knuckleballers since the Sox had Hoyt Wilhelm and Wilbur Wood.

I was too, I think a good knuckler can do wonders to save a staff.

I've watched both his starts, and I think pitching in Dodgers Stadium has helped him some, there's been some deep flyballs. He's looked good, but I don't know about 2 runs in 14 innings good.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
i said it when it happened, and i'll say it again now, i wish we never let charlie haeger go

ditto.. hey could have played a nice mop up role preserving the pen in Contreras/Colon/Garcia/Torres/Richard starts

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
The Cubs fans must be really writing the season off. A real Cubs fan friend of mine, not a Wrigley Cubs fan, actually called me during the bottom of the 9th and i could tell he wasn't watching the game

After today they're going to be farther back than any other 2nd place team in baseball.

It's time to admit they don't have it this year and start planning for a full rebuild. That won't happen of course, so they'll just keep getting older and more expensive, but that's what they ought to do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
After today they're going to be farther back than any other 2nd place team in baseball.

It's time to admit they don't have it this year and start planning for a full rebuild. That won't happen of course, so they'll just keep getting older and more expensive, but that's what they ought to do.

the bloated long term contracts they have on the books and lack of basically any near MLB ready talent is going to make that harder.

I would imagine they could move Harden for something, he's a FA anyway and he'd get picked up and work out a trade or he would clear