2009 Cubs thread

daa84

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
Yeah it might be the worst offseason in recent memory for any baseball team. However I don't know about the long term thing, it kind of depends on how much money Ricketts wants to spend. Ricketts first order of business should be firing Hendry and Pinella, if he does that they're better right away.

I don't see how they would be able to add any legitimate payroll with all the terrible long-term contracts they have crippling them. Soriano/Zambrano alone makes this almost impossible. Add in Fukoblowme/Bradley/Dempster/Ramirez/Lee and they're toast.

Edit: I take back Lee. I see he's only signed through next year.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
Yeah it might be the worst offseason in recent memory for any baseball team. However I don't know about the long term thing, it kind of depends on how much money Ricketts wants to spend. Ricketts first order of business should be firing Hendry and Pinella, if he does that they're better right away.

from what I've read and heard on the radio it will be hard for Ricketts to add much payroll since he was scrambling to get financing to finalize the purchase... basically what I understand is he doesn't have extra cash around to pour into the team, especially considering the $$ it costs to upkeep The Shrine.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
Throw in the Gregg/Heilman trades and letting Derosa go for nothing but financial relief and you're talking one epic ass fail. That team is in some SERIOUS long-term trouble.

I forgot to throw in Aaron Miles. He's been their version of Brent Lillibridge. My oh my what a terrible off-season for Mr. Jim Hendry.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
on one of the local sports stations yesterday a Cubs fan called in and suggested that the Cubs package Bradley and Marshall, and maybe Jake Fox to the Blue Jays for Halladay... yup, actual suggestion.

I don't think that the Cubs could find enough quality cheap parts to send to Toronto, even if they were adding payroll.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
from what I've read and heard on the radio it will be hard for Ricketts to add much payroll since he was scrambling to get financing to finalize the purchase... basically what I understand is he doesn't have extra cash around to pour into the team, especially considering the $$ it costs to upkeep The Shrine.

I don't think they need a major overhaul, but I can see them making a few minor moves that they couldn't do this year because of the management situation. They have had the same issues that we've had this year.....some underproducing hitters and late inning bullpen issues.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
I don't think they need a major overhaul, but I can see them making a few minor moves that they couldn't do this year because of the management situation. They have had the same issues that we've had this year.....some underproducing hitters and late inning bullpen issues.

I beg to differ. They kinda remind me of where we were at in 2007. A team full of aging/declining players at multiple positions with no minor league system to speak of. Their only saving grace is that they're in the NL. But they're quite a ways away from being able to run with the Cardinals (this is assuming Matt Ruth I mean Holliday is back).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 06:53 AM)
I beg to differ. They kinda remind me of where we were at in 2007. A team full of aging/declining players at multiple positions with no minor league system to speak of. Their only saving grace is that they're in the NL. But they're quite a ways away from being able to run with the Cardinals (this is assuming Matt Ruth I mean Holliday is back).

Yeah, it seems like what the Cards do in the offseason may effect the Cubs more than any move the Cubs actually can or will make.

Honestly, the Cubs could use a Matt Holiday. Too bad that money is invested in Alfonso Soriano. Also, I would look to get rid of Z, though maybe easier said than done, and Aramis who seems to get injured, or if other hitters get injured and proceeds to be teh suckz for awhile before getting on his horse. I honestly wouldn't depend on him.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
Honestly, the Cubs could use a Matt Holiday. Too bad that money is invested in Alfonso Soriano. Also, I would look to get rid of Z, though maybe easier said than done, and Aramis who seems to get injured, or if other hitters get injured and proceeds to be teh suckz for awhile before getting on his horse. I honestly wouldn't depend on him.

with a NTC and limiting himself to the LAD, and both color Sox, the Cubs are going to have a hard time moving Z

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
with a NTC and limiting himself to the LAD, and both color Sox, the Cubs are going to have a hard time moving Z

I could actually see the Dodgers having some interest in that. Solid manager, stuff they're able to trade, coming off a top of the league season, need of a starting pitcher, likely ability to take on some salary. But like all deals...if you want someone else to take on the contract you should never have given out in the first place, you shouldn't expect much back in return.

A federal bankruptcy judge in Delaware has approved the Tribune Co.'s sale of the Chicago Cubs.

The judge on Thursday authorized Tribune to enter into transactions to sell the team to the family of billionaire Joe Ricketts, founder of TD Ameritrade. The family agreed to buy a 95 percent stake in the team and its Wrigley Field home for $845 million.

The deal also needs approval from Major League Baseball.

The Tribune plan calls for a separate bankruptcy filing by Chicago National League Ball Club, an affiliate not involved in the company's Chapter 11 case. The CNLBC bankruptcy should last only a few days but is needed to ensure that sale is free of all liens and claims, and that contracts can be assumed and assigned.

link

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
Wow, Bradleys mom is alleging that Milton is distracted because his 3 year old son is experiencing racism at his preschool.

WTF??

Well, if that's true (about his son), that's really sad.

If its not, well, then I guess the victim mentality runs in the family.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
Why? If something genuinely needs refurbishing some level of the government will wind up stuck with the bill anyway.

maybe for a big project, but I'm pretty sure every offseason the Trib had to dump a decent amount of money into it for basic upkeep. I'm believe they footed the bill for all the repairs when the concrete was falling.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)
I just dont know what to think. I dont even know that my daughter would be able to comprehend racism at 3, much less be able to tell me about it or have me suspect it.

This is the article I am referring to, btw

Yeah, in my experience, 3-year-olds are probably a lot less likely to be bigoted in any way shape or form than adults. They haven't "learned" that ugliness yet - to them, other kids are other kids.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
Yeah, in my experience, 3-year-olds are probably a lot less likely to be bigoted in any way shape or form than adults. They haven't "learned" that ugliness yet - to them, other kids are other kids.

Mom claims it was teachers . . .

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
Mom claims it was teachers . . .

how much do you want to bet this story gets legs and takes off. I cant imagine these teachers are going to be happy being accused of racism on a radio show

First baseman Derrek Lee scored the game-tying run ahead of Jeff Baker, whose two-out, two-strike home run off San Francisco closer Brian Wilson put the team in line for the win.

As Lee and Baker were mobbed by teammates in the dugout, relief pitcher Angel Guzman slapped the side of Lee's helmet, causing Lee to experience neck spasms that forced him to come out of the game for defense in the bottom of the ninth.

Lee has missed numerous games over the years with neck and back spasms, after initially suffering the injury in a home-plate collision in 2006.

After the game Thursday, Lee told team personnel that he'd be in the lineup Friday night, but the team's training staff could insist that he sit out a game or two.

Manager Lou Piniella coined the term "Cubby Occurrence" to explain strange happenings that may have factored into the organization going more than 100 years without winning a World Series.

Just keep coming up with cutesy terms like that cubs.