2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
Who the hell listens to Jen Patterson? What inside info does she have?

I had seen her post this....Breaking News on "The Monsters In the Morning"... Milton Bradley will be traded to the Seattle Mariners.

So I assumed it was coming from Jigs or the idiot.

Haven't seen this anywhere else though

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
I had seen her post this....Breaking News on "The Monsters In the Morning"... Milton Bradley will be traded to the Seattle Mariners.

So I assumed it was coming from Jigs or the idiot.

Haven't seen this anywhere else though

ohhhhh... well that;s different. Your first posted sounded as if SHE was breaking the news. Well, that's different. Not that I still believe it, but it's slightly more credible.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 06:02 PM)
The Mariners interest stems from them wanting to trade Carlos Silva for Bradley. I don't care how s***ty Bradley is in the clubhouse, getting rid of the Silva deal would be phenomenal.

Yep, Silva actually has more money left on his deal than Bradley does.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
Yep, Silva actually has more money left on his deal than Bradley does.

From Rotoworld:

"According to the Seattle Times' Larry Stone, the Cubs have agreed to trade Milton Bradley to the Mariners for right-hander Carlos Silva.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of money is being exchanged. Silva, who is owed $24 million over the next two years, posted an 8.60 ERA and 1.70 WHIP in 30 innings this past season and a 6.46 ERA in 153 1/3 innings the year before. Bradley, owed $21 million, batted a disappointing .257/.378/.397 this season with Chicago but is only one year removed from a career-best .321/.436/.563 batting line. For now, it appears the Mariners and GM Jack Zduriencik have pulled off another excellent deal."

Cubs are morons. They basically get a guy that has no value and trade someone who is at least decent. They really should have held out. I can't imagine this was the best deal out there in the end. If it was that is sad. Cubs got used and abused, but really it's their own undoing for signing the moron to that horrible deal.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
That's hilarious... Silva, who is owed $24 million over the next two years, posted an 8.60 ERA and 1.70 WHIP in 30 innings this past season and a 6.46 ERA in 153 1/3 innings the year before.

They just need to pitch him against the White Sox.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
They just need to pitch him against the White Sox.

Silva was torched in a pitchers park with great defense.....imagine what will happen to him in Wrigley. The NL is bad but notthat bad.

Surround Milt with a good system and I think he will do fine. If cash is not exchanged with the M's covering some of that salary this coudl be one of the worst deals in baseball history.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
Silva was torched in a pitchers park with great defense.....imagine what will happen to him in Wrigley. The NL is bad but notthat bad.

After the guys we saw turn it around in the NL last year (Contreras, Penny) I'm not so sure they're not that bad.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
From Rotoworld:

"According to the Seattle Times' Larry Stone, the Cubs have agreed to trade Milton Bradley to the Mariners for right-hander Carlos Silva.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of money is being exchanged. Silva, who is owed $24 million over the next two years, posted an 8.60 ERA and 1.70 WHIP in 30 innings this past season and a 6.46 ERA in 153 1/3 innings the year before. Bradley, owed $21 million, batted a disappointing .257/.378/.397 this season with Chicago but is only one year removed from a career-best .321/.436/.563 batting line. For now, it appears the Mariners and GM Jack Zduriencik have pulled off another excellent deal."

Cubs are morons. They basically get a guy that has no value and trade someone who is at least decent. They really should have held out. I can't imagine this was the best deal out there in the end. If it was that is sad. Cubs got used and abused, but really it's their own undoing for signing the moron to that horrible deal.

I just dont think they had a choice. Bradley could absolutely not be on the field for them this year and every team knew it. They definitely lose in the trade, but they were going to lose no matter what.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
OMG thats a terrible trade. Shows how terrible his value is.

Shows how stupid Hendry is. You don't trade a guy with a similar contract for one that's worse than him. You just don't.

Oh wait: Cubs got $9 million in this deal. :o

Still though, Carlos Silva? LOL

Edited by chw42

Considering their situation and the lack of leverage they had, I think this was probably the best the Cubs could have done. Fact of the matter is, Bradley was not gonna play for the Cubs next year no matter what and every team knew that. Instead of eating the $21 million, they saved $6 mil of it and got an experienced guy who at least might be able to eat some innings, albeit very, very bad innings. However, the fact that they let this whole Milton Bradley situation turn in to this dump off is what makes the Cubs look ridiculous.

Good move for the M's, they got rid of their awful, expensive pitcher, and only spent $3mil/year extra for a big hitter who has proven he can hit as a DH in a quieter market, which is what they were looking for in their lineup.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
Shows how stupid Hendry is. You don't trade a guy with a similar contract for one that's worse than him. You just don't.

Oh wait: Cubs got $9 million in this deal. :o

Still though, Carlos Silva? LOL

Bradley is going to mash next year and Silva will put up a 5+ ERA in the NL. Hilarious.

This is really the best the Cubs could hope for. They give up the 2-$20 commitment, and pick up essentially a 2-$15 commitment. So their net is to get back $5M, and a bad pitcher. Bradley was not playable for the Cubs, due to his own behavior, so to the Cubs, his presence was worth less than nothing.