2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to skip the charade of whipping out the TVC and giving you a nice introduction about Milton Bradley, Carlos Silva, and how Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik has turned around the situation with the Mariners. Instead, I'll say this.

This is a straight-up robbery. There's no reason for such a tragedy to happen. Silva was the largest remaining noose on the Seattle Mariners' collective necks, the sole remaining byproduct from the Dark Ages of Bill Bavasi. Bradley was a positive offensive player (.345 wOBA) in the corners last year. He was a 1 WAR player last year in one of his worst offensive seasons in recent times. Silva struck out 10 batters and walked 11 in 30 innings last season (he also hit three batters). Before that, he was average at best (4.64 FIP for Seattle in 2008, though coupled with a poor defense, it turned into a 6.46 ERA), and horrendous at worst (5.76 FIP in 2006 for Minnesota, when he allowed almost two HR/9).

Silva hasn't pitched well since arriving in Seattle, one of the better pitcher's parks in baseball. He's now moving to Chicago, a hitter's haven in comparison. Bradley is now moving to Seattle, to a fanbase that actually respects his offensive skillset. There is no rumored additional parts to this trade. It's a simple one-for-one, and I think it made everyone outside Seattle cringe a little. I know I did.

Hilarious.

Might be the best thing to happen for Bradley. He'll be a saint in the Griffey clubhouse. Got a couple brothers there to talk to as well. Can't see a downfall to this deal at all for the Mariners. Not that this made them any different, but I was going to pick them to win the West regardless. Yes the Cubs got raped in value, but freeing up 6 million in cash (which they can use in FA) to trade Bradley (getting 9 million back from the Mariners) is very good for them.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
God, the Cubs got raped here. It's completly their fault for being so public about the Bradley fiasco too.

Raped? As far as I can tell, they made out on the deal. Now, the original contract is a whole different discussion. But from the current place, this was as good as they could get, and they did manage to put themselves in a better place than they were.

Bradley isn't just a guy with a few issues - he's not AJ, or Swisher. He's such a negative pull, such a problem in the clubhouse, that he is truly of negative value to a team. That is, unless they can somehow become the exception to the rule, and have him become a different person than he has been. And that is a long shot.

Getting into the deal was stupidity by the Cubs, no doubt. And they never should have publically said he was gone - that was stupid too. But what happened to him with the Cubs, was of his own doing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
Raped? As far as I can tell, they made out on the deal. Now, the original contract is a whole different discussion. But from the current place, this was as good as they could get, and they did manage to put themselves in a better place than they were.

Bradley isn't just a guy with a few issues - he's not AJ, or Swisher. He's such a negative pull, such a problem in the clubhouse, that he is truly of negative value to a team. That is, unless they can somehow become the exception to the rule, and have him become a different person than he has been. And that is a long shot.

Getting into the deal was stupidity by the Cubs, no doubt. And they never should have publically said he was gone - that was stupid too. But what happened to him with the Cubs, was of his own doing.

Totally agree with this. Don't think they got raped at all. They got rid of the biggest clubhouse cancer in all of baseball who put up such all world numbers last year in the NATIONAL LEAGUE (.257 12 HR 40 RBI) and actually got an extra 6 mil to spend on current free agents. As far as Silva goes he'll either be cut or be middle relief for the Cubs, this is one of those moves where you have to take into account a guy's impact on the clubhouse and Bradley was hated by that team. I'm honestly shocked Hendry pulled this off this deal and got money back. I was 99.99% sure they were going to have to eat the contract and flat out release him. That being said I still don't know how Jim Hendry has a job after signing this guy but I'll give him some props for finding another sucker and getting some paper back.

To be honest Milton Bradley was never that good to start with, he was coming off a career year in Texas and the Cubs were the suckers that bit on him. He always has been a clubhouse cancer, very injury prone, and average defensively. I think he's a piece of garbage and am GLAD he didn't wind up on the South Side.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
God, the Cubs got raped here. It's completly their fault for being so public about the Bradley fiasco too.

Yeah, it was such a shock to hear Milton Bradley was a huge asshole. He's never had any problems with the 7 teams he's been with. After all he did actually play 216 games with one team.

If this was fantasy baseball, it probably would be a terrible deal. Its real baseball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)

Silva isnt a guy with zero issues either. You cant just look at the player they got rid of. From a player for player standpoint they were incredibly raped. Overall its probably a wash.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Silva isnt a guy with zero issues either. You cant just look at the player they got rid of. From a player for player standpoint they were incredibly raped. Overall its probably a wash.

They obviously weren't getting anything useful for Bradley and saving some money. It wouldn't surprise me if they use the money saved on a CF, I read Ankiel, Byrd or Pods and if Silva is bad in spring training, just waive him. They still come out ahead.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
Might be the best thing to happen for Bradley. He'll be a saint in the Griffey clubhouse. Got a couple brothers there to talk to as well. Can't see a downfall to this deal at all for the Mariners.

Why would Bradley suddenly behave like a sane human being in Seattle's clubhouse? Seattle's most likely going to have the same problems with Bradley that seven other teams have had. But unlike Silva, they may actually get some production out of Bradley before he alienates everybody in Seattle.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
They obviously weren't getting anything useful for Bradley and saving some money. It wouldn't surprise me if they use the money saved on a CF, I read Ankiel, Byrd or Pods and if Silva is bad in spring training, just waive him. They still come out ahead.

If they get pods it would be real fun to watch him play outfield in that stadium.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
I think he'll fit in fine there. It's a place with less media scrutiny, the fans are a bit more laid back, and they should be a playoff contender. I think it's a very nice risk for Seattle.

Seattle is actually a great sports town, its just very isolated from the rest of the US so it gets little national coverage. If he starts his crap there, he'll hear it from them just as bad as he's heard it from his other stops.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
I think he'll fit in fine there. It's a place with less media scrutiny, the fans are a bit more laid back, and they should be a playoff contender. I think it's a very nice risk for Seattle.

Indeed. Reminds me of Bradley with the A's and he was very liked there actually. (Bradley still says that was the best clubhouse he's ever been in) I remember Big Frank loved him. That's why I said he'll fit there nicely, especially in "Griffey's clubhouse."

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
Indeed. Reminds me of Bradley with the A's and he was very liked there actually. (Bradley still says that was the best clubhouse he's ever been in) I remember Big Frank loved him. That's why I said he'll fit there nicely, especially in "Griffey's clubhouse."

Great minds, my friend. Great minds.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
Might be the best thing to happen for Bradley. He'll be a saint in the Griffey clubhouse. Got a couple brothers there to talk to as well. Can't see a downfall to this deal at all for the Mariners. Not that this made them any different, but I was going to pick them to win the West regardless. Yes the Cubs got raped in value, but freeing up 6 million in cash (which they can use in FA) to trade Bradley (getting 9 million back from the Mariners) is very good for them.

Not questioning, but is him being black and having 2 other blacks there really going to help him? Honestly, just curious.

It's actually been of interest with me for a while, especially regarding Contreras and Iguchi in 2005 and then following them afterwards.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)
Not questioning, but is him being black and having 2 other blacks there really going to help him? Honestly, just curious.

It's actually been of interest with me for a while, especially regarding Contreras and Iguchi in 2005 and then following them afterwards.

Well I can't speak for Bradley cause I'm not in his head (though I don't even think Milton Bradley himself knows what's going on in his head) but the year he was with the A's, he was pretty liked, and the year in Texas, he had his best season under Ron Washington. I tend to think the lower market helps more so than having other black teammates, but I'm sure that does not hurt much at all with Milton. He usually clicks with guys with strong personalities I noticed regardless (I.E. Frank, Swisher, etc..) and Griffey already has that respect all around the game, not to mention is a hellova guy. I can see him developing a few handshakes with Ichiro when he drives him in.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)
Well I can't speak for Bradley cause I'm not in his head (though I don't even think Milton Bradley himself knows what's going on in his head) but the year he was with the A's, he was pretty liked, and the year in Texas, he had his best season under Ron Washington. I tend to think the lower market helps more so than having other black teammates, but I'm sure that does not hurt much at all with Milton. He usually clicks with guys with strong personalities I noticed regardless (I.E. Frank, Swisher, etc..) and Griffey already has that respect all around the game, not to mention is a hellova guy. I can see him developing a few handshakes with Ichiro when he drives him in.

Actually, having strong personalities makes quite a bit of sense. Bradley seems to be an insecure type, and having those guys around should help him quite a bit. He should never be the focal point of a team, but he should be a great contributor when the focus is one someone else.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 08:50 PM)
Supposedly Bradley really disliked D. Lee last season because he felt that D. Lee hung out too much with the white players on the Cubs.

So Bradley didn't like D-Lee because he didn't segregate himself like a loser?