2009 Cubs thread

daa84

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
Bruce Levine thinks Pods will be a good Cf for the cub.........do the cubs play in the MLB or some fictitious land

ssshhhhh dont say anything or they might change their minds. I want to see a Soriano/Pods/Fukudome outfield :D

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
Bruce Levine thinks Pods will be a good Cf for the cub.........do the cubs play in the MLB or some fictitious land

Pods and the ivy filled brick wall just don't match.

It appears Capps is going to blow off the Cubs for the Nationals. I thought everyone wants to play for the Cubs. I'm starting to wonder about Ricketts. I know Wrigley is a cash register, but he took out a $400 million loan to buy the team and is looking at about $200 million in renovations with a payroll that has a ton of long term committment.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 06:23 PM)
It appears Capps is going to blow off the Cubs for the Nationals. I thought everyone wants to play for the Cubs.

Wow.. he had to choose between the two, and he's picking the horrid (though up and comming through the farm) franchise over the loveable losers. I don't think I've ever been a bigger Matt Capps fan. :)

I gotta ask though... how much more was the Nats paying him over the Cubs.. if at all?

NVM.. I found something..

The Cubs seemed committed to losing out to the Washington Nationals in the bidding for former Pirate reliever Matt Capps.

Capps, through his agent, said he could decide on a new team by Wednesday night, but the Cubs had not heard any positive news. It appears that Washington will offer Capps a chance at more than a one-year contract and, what might be more, important, a chance to close games.

On the North Side, Capps would have been a setup man to Carlos Marmol for one year, which might have precluded another big free agent pay day for him.

While the Cubs would like one more setup man, preferably a right-hander, they seemed content on taking their time if they don't sign Capps. They do have money to spend, after "saving" $6 million with the trade of Milton Bradley.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
Wow.. he had to choose between the two, and he's picking the horrid (though up and comming through the farm) franchise over the loveable losers. I don't think I've ever been a bigger Matt Capps fan. :)

I gotta ask though... how much more was the Nats paying him over the Cubs.. if at all?

NVM.. I found something..

Yeah, if he can close at all, it is his chance at a big paycheck. I'd take the promotion too.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
Good move for them. I wouldn't have gone 3 years. But it's fine at 5 million per. I'd definitely take Byrd over Pierre.

With our situation, I wouldn't have. Byrd has a lot more power, but since we kind of needed a leadoff hitter, I'd rather take Pierre.

Their defense in LF pretty much cancel each other out. Pierre's definitely the better base runner and will most likely put up a higher OBP than Byrd. Plus, we're paying $1 million less for Pierre and for only two years.