Dodgers sign Orlando Hudson...

EvilJester99

Dodgers, Orlando Hudson Agree To Terms

By Tim Dierkes [February 20, 2009 at 1:36pm CST]

Sirius XM’s MLB Home Plate is reporting Orlando Hudson has agreed in principle with the Dodgers, pending a physical.

The Diamondbacks lose their second baseman to a division rival, but also receive L.A.'s #17 pick in the June draft plus a supplemental pick.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 02:28 PM)
Now we're pretty much down to Twins and A's in the O-Cab sweepstakes. Good move for the Dodgers though, but if the Giants get a (somewhat) healthy Crede i'd put them on top with that pitching staff.

Huh? Have you seen their projected every day lineup? It's terrible.

DeWitt moves down to AAA, O-Dawg slides into 2B, and they can still sign Manny.

Excellent deal for the Dodgers. Hudson gives them the best defensive 2bman they've had in years, and he'll give them an excellent top of the order hitter.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
DeWitt moves down to AAA, O-Dawg slides into 2B, and they can still sign Manny.

Excellent deal for the Dodgers. Hudson gives them the best defensive 2bman they've had in years, and he'll give them an excellent top of the order hitter.

id wait to see how much money they gave hudson, before id call the deal excellent....especially considering they gave up a pretty high draft pick

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 20, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
id wait to see how much money they gave hudson, before id call the deal excellent....especially considering they gave up a pretty high draft pick

3.4M with 4.6M to be made in incentives apparently.

Giving up the draft pick hurts, but there's no doubt that Hudson is a better ballplayer than O-Cab when healthy.

A one year deal for Hudson solves the White Sox problems as he is slotted into the lead-off spot and Anderson bats ninth and plays center. The defense is then air tight. I guess money is a huge obstacle for the White Sox this season. If KW was really going for it year in and year out, he signs Hudson for this price. Pretty sad state of affairs right now.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
A one year deal for Hudson solves the White Sox problems as he is slotted into the lead-off spot and Anderson bats ninth and plays center. The defense is then air tight. I guess money is a huge obstacle for the White Sox this season. If KW was really going for it year in and year out, he signs Hudson for this price. Pretty sad state of affairs right now.

We could have had Orlando Hudson AND Bob Abreu for about 10 million this year. Unload Dye for some prospects and you are significantly better. You could even eat a little of that salary to entice a team to trade for him. I just don't get it.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
We could have had Orlando Hudson AND Bob Abreu for about 10 million this year. Unload Dye for some prospects and you are significantly better. You could even eat a little of that salary to entice a team to trade for him. I just don't get it.

Ken Williams tried that and it didn't work.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Feb 21, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)

I understand the Dye thing as the money was a huge issue. Anyone that really wanted Dye could have had Burell.

And Orlando Hudson will make $8M this year if he stays healthy, sure his base salary is $3.4M but when you sign a guy like this you have to assume he'll reach his incentives and there just isn't $8M in the budget. Add on top of that Bobby Abreu's $5M and suddenly trading Dye becomes impossible, now you're going $4M-$6M over budget just to move Dye (NO team is going to trade for Dye without receiving cash in return).