Will the AL Central survive the next 10 years?

caulfield12

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant see any city putting up the financing to build a stadium right now, or in the near future. Teams are locked in where they are and are going to have to make due with their current financial situations.

KC - The team has lasted this long in that market and recently had renovations, dont see them going anywhere.

Detroit - Probably the team in the most trouble because of their payroll obligations and increasing unemployment rate in the area, Detroit will probably see a shift from spending like a large market team to more of a small to mid market team over the next 10 years.

Cleveland - The team is in pretty good financial condition and the population of the city will hold steady at least.

Minnesota - Almost folded once, but a new stadium will cease any specualtion about that possibility and the team will continue to operate with its financial constraints.

Pittsburgh is a team that could be in trouble, low attendance, small market size, and a lack of results hurts the team, though it has a storied history and a newer stadium to keep it anchored.

Florida - The team is in the process of building a new stadium and ownership will be obligated to keep the team in the area for a period of time after the stadium is completed so that the city can recoup some of the money that was invested. Going nowhere.

TB - Last season a WS run, this season contenders in the East that will likely fade in the second half of the season. Last years success will cause an attendance bump, but with no financing available the team will look at re-locating but have few options available (Charlotte, OKC?)

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 04:15 AM)
I cant see any city putting up the financing to build a stadium right now, or in the near future. Teams are locked in where they are and are going to have to make due with their current financial situations.

KC - The team has lasted this long in that market and recently had renovations, dont see them going anywhere.

Detroit - Probably the team in the most trouble because of their payroll obligations and increasing unemployment rate in the area, Detroit will probably see a shift from spending like a large market team to more of a small to mid market team over the next 10 years.

Cleveland - The team is in pretty good financial condition and the population of the city will hold steady at least.

Minnesota - Almost folded once, but a new stadium will cease any specualtion about that possibility and the team will continue to operate with its financial constraints.

Pittsburgh is a team that could be in trouble, low attendance, small market size, and a lack of results hurts the team, though it has a storied history and a newer stadium to keep it anchored.

Florida - The team is in the process of building a new stadium and ownership will be obligated to keep the team in the area for a period of time after the stadium is completed so that the city can recoup some of the money that was invested. Going nowhere.

TB - Last season a WS run, this season contenders in the East that will likely fade in the second half of the season. Last years success will cause an attendance bump, but with no financing available the team will look at re-locating but have few options available (Charlotte, OKC?)

Are the Marlins for sure getting a new stadium in Miami? I thought that was still up in the air. Seems like their city council keeps pushing back the vote on the subject. I don't know, maybe I am misinformed, but I don't think its a done deal.

Edited by Cochise

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 01:46 AM)
Kansas City isn't going to lose its team. The stadium just got all renovated and the people here will support the team if and when it ever gets over .500.

Thank you. My first trip to Arrowhead last November I saw the renovations happening at Kaufman. KC isn't going anywhere.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)

Not going to comment about finances, because, honestly, I don't know. But their population, like most of the Rust Belt has been going down steadily. And with a lack of jobs, it will continue.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)

I lived in KC for 10 years. If the team is at least .500 or competitive, you can guarantee 22-25,000 in attendance. But that has only happened in 2003 for the first 4 months, before that, you'd have to go back to the early 90's for the last really good Royals teams.

They had a good foundation with Damon/Dye/Beltran/Sweeney but the pitching never got them over the hump.

A couple of other teams that bear watching are SD (if they were still in Jack Murphy and with Moores' financial problems/divorce) and Cincinnati.

Pittsburgh and Cincy are fairly similar, cities that have been or will be hard hit by the economy...mid-size markets...difficulty competing with the Cubs, Cardinals and Astros to a lesser extent.

Milwaukee, I think they're stronger because of the ownership group...but, then again, wasn't most of the Selig money from car dealerships? Still, SD/Pitt/Cincy/Milwaukee all share one thing in common, "newer" stadiums.

As far as a team in OKC, I doubt that will ever happen. They've been too closely tied to the Rangers for a long time in terms of their fan base. It would be like Omaha having a major league team, although I realize OKC is quite a bit bigger and has done well during the "oil boom" compared to many other states...well, until recently, which is another "bust" period for oil it seems. That inconsistent economy just isn't a stable one for a MLB team.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
The surrounding areas bring that 500,000 to over 2 million. There is more than enough around these necks to support a professional baseball team,

That's opinion, not fact. I don't consider 2 million people within commutable distance a slam-dunk for a successful MLB franchise. Especially when most of them are already Mariners fans and a half million of them live in Washington.

Miami has a metro area of over 4 million people. They had to freaking threaten to leave (after two WS titles) to get serious consideration for something that resembles a baseball stadium, and don't draw well in general. Tampa has a metro area of 2.7 million. They couldn't draw flies until their team was actually competitive, and probably won't draw once the Rays fall back to mediocrity.

I'd have to say that nobody gives a damn about baseball in Portland because nobody has a reason to.

Nobody had a reason to give a damn about a baseball team in Miami, either. And even after two WS championships in a major market, they still don't give a damn about them. And Florida is home to a Spring Training league and two very well-regarded college baseball programs. What about Northwest Oregon/Southwest Washington makes you think that Portland will support a team better than Miami or Tampa?

With how beautiful the summers are here, I can't think of many, if any, other places better suited for a Major League Baseball team.

I agree that the weather out here is perfect for baseball. But that's not what draws fans. Interest in baseball is what draws fans - it's what draws 36,000 to Fenway in 40 degree temps in April. I don't see anything near that level of interest in baseball out here - or professional sports in general. Especially in comparison to the Midwest and East Coast.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox15 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 06:42 AM)
But mainly, WCSox is right, people here in Oregon are mostly concerned with the Ducks and the Beavers, and I'm not sure if a major league club would change that. I wouldn't mind finding out though.

I think it'd be great too (especially if I wouldn't have to drive to Seattle to see the Sox).

Edited by WCSox

BTW if the Royals suck this year again I recommend anybody in Chicago driving here or taking the cheap SW airlines flight to KC for some Sox Royals games.

Last year I went to a couple and in both games sat in about the 10th row with a friend. Nobody else in the row in front of me or behind me. Tuesday-Wednesday games.

It's kind of relaxing to sit back and not have to deal with people and if KC stinks, nobody goes to those early-week games.

That said, if the Royals were actually good, really good, like back in the Brett, McRae, Otis days, Frank White days, they'd be drawing 30,000 night minimum all summer long.

Their owner is a dog.

I thought this was applicable...

A's pull out of Freemont move

San Jose very interested in the A's... Portlan, Las Vegas, and Sacrament also potential suitors

With the demise of the Oakland A's ballpark plans in Fremont, San Jose — with a viable downtown stadium site, a big-city redevelopment agency and supportive politicians — emerged Tuesday as the Bay Area's leading candidate to snare the team.

But with the San Francisco Giants clutching territorial rights to Santa Clara County, the decision won't be up to San Jose, or the A's, alone. Major League Baseball may need to step in if Silicon Valley is to have the chance to flirt with baseball again.

San Jose a 'last shot'

"I think San Jose is probably their last shot in the Bay Area," Noll said. "I think that will be the next shot. Whether it will happen, of course, is indeterminate. I think the politics of stadiums have turned sour in the last few years. It's much more difficult than it used to be to get local governments to approve these things, even if the investment of the local government is small."

Just as likely, Noll said, is that the A's will leave the Bay Area, particularly if known suitors — in Portland, Ore.; Las Vegas and Sacramento —§ are able to mount viable stadium bids.

A's, Marlins could be goners as contraction looms

The rumblings already have started. With three years to go in the basic agreement, baseball's owners are once again sounding the flashpoint "c" word - as in salary cap. But this past week, events in Oakland and Miami - where a new stadium plan for the A's was pronounced dead and one for the Marlins once again put on life support - may leave the owners no choice but to revisit another ominous "c" word: contraction.

In both cases, though, it's always been with an eye on their teams getting new ballparks and the accompanying significant increase in revenue streams. But the seemingly never-ending battle between the Marlins and the south Florida bureaucrats hit yet another impasse when the Miami city commissioners failed to approve the financing for the proposed $609 million retractable-roof stadium to be built on the site of the old Orange Bowl targeted for 2012.

Instead, they are now seeking three significant amendments to the deal: In the event the Marlins are sold, the city wants to get back all its stadium costs before owner Jeffrey Loria could reap any profit from the sale. The city is also asking for a share of any naming-rights deal and wants the Marlins to pay any cost overruns on the proposed $94 million parking garage. All of them are non-starters for the Marlins and more and more it appears former Florida owner John Henry was right when he said there is nothing more impossible than south Florida politics.

At the same time, the A's owner, real-estate developer Lew Wolff, announced last week he was abandoning his three-year quest to move the team 30 miles south on Interstate 880 to Fremont. Wolff spent $80 million, of which $24 million was non-refundable, exploring construction of a shopping center in Fremont with a 37,000-seat stadium for the A's as the central drawing point.

But Wolff, too, ran into considerable opposition from both the Fremont city bureaucrats and the local merchants and finally concluded his grand vision was doomed. In the opinion of San Francisco Chronicle columnist Ray Ratto, it was a doomed folly from the very beginning. "It was nothing more than a real-estate deal with a baseball team as a hook," wrote Ratto, "and it made less sense than moving the A's back to Philadelphia and exhuming Connie Mack."

Baseball has run out of places to move struggling franchises and, especially in this economy, who in their right mind would buy either the A's or Marlins with their bleak stadium situations? And just as Wolff, his partner John Fisher and the Marlins' Loria are going to be looking for a way out from under their mounting losses, baseball can't afford to keep dumping revenue-sharing money into hopeless franchises. Like just about every other industry in this country right now, baseball is going to have to take stock of its situation and downsize. There are too many teams in baseball anyway and it makes no sense to continue operating them in places that can't or won't support them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/magazine...amp;_r=1&hp

Very good (long) article in the NY Times Magazine written about the housing crisis in Cleveland...by a NU professor. If you want to learn how so "speculators/investors" are still figuring out ways to make money in this crazy climate, it should be particularly interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/05/opinion/05collins.html

Lashing out at Countrywide Loans former president for continuing to make profits from the government...

Edited by caulfield12