2009 Oscars Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
It's starting to actually piss me off. There is no way in Hell it doesn't win Best Picture.

And if there's one more musical number, I might turn this off.

Considering they haven't given away best original song, I'd have the remote handy.

I'd be more pissed about Slumdog winning things if The Wrestler and The Dark Knight were nominated for Best Picture.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
This is getting ridiculous. Slumdog Millionaire was not this good.

Neither was CCoBB, The Reader, Frost/Nixon...Milk, The Wrestler.

I still prefer Gran Torino over all of them, in terms of impact on me as a viewer. Doubt was really good, but I can't say that I would want to watch it again every year for the rest of my life or anything like that.

Well, at least it's not The English Patient, lol.

I think Slumdog is probably better than Crash, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:34 PM)
Neither was CCoBB, The Reader, Frost/Nixon...Milk, The Wrestler.

I still prefer Gran Torino over all of them, in terms of impact on me as a viewer. Doubt was really good, but I can't say that I would want to watch it again every year for the rest of my life or anything like that.

Well, at least it's not The English Patient, lol.

I think Slumdog is probably better than Crash, too.

Didn't you say you see almost no new movies? You saw all of those, and can honestly say you think Slumdog Millionaire was the best one?

Also, Doubt was not a great movie. It had great performances that made it tolerable, and it would've been unbelievably bad without them.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
Considering they haven't given away best original song, I'd have the remote handy.

I'd be more pissed about Slumdog winning things if The Wrestler and The Dark Knight were nominated for Best Picture.

I'll be pissed about Slumdog winning if Rourke doesn't win Best Actor. If he wins it, I'll be able to tolerate Slumdog taking that award home.

I saw Frost/Nixon...it was very good.

To say it's "great" just doesn't register with me. It's not that I hate Frank Langella...in fact, I was a history teacher for 3 years, so I certainly have an appreciation for it.

Not to mention that movies which do almost no box office have their backs against the wall, same with The Reader. I just believe that Slumdog and Gran Torino were better, subjective opinion, there's no way to persuasively objectivy one over the other. It's like arguing that Crede was better than Ventura. Most "younger" fans might believe that, older White Sox fans would laugh or scoff at the notion.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
I just believe that Slumdog and Gran Torino were better, subjective opinion, there's no way to persuasively objectivy one over the other. It's like arguing that Crede was better than Ventura. Most "younger" fans might believe that, older White Sox fans would laugh or scoff at the notion.

The best thing about movies is that everyone has a different feeling on every movie. Like music, sports teams, everything.

We all know Christian Bale is a legit great actor, Milkman and others are wrong when they dispute it. :P

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
Brian, Slumdog is the HHH/Cena of this ceremony.

I'm just going to call it now. Slumdog Millionaire, the movie itself, will win both Best Actor and Best Actress.

The Dark Knight is the Christian of the ceremony?

The Wrestler is Jeff Hardy?

I like this game.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
I think they should give some type of Hottest New Ingenue statuette to Freida Pinto just so that it would add a little more color to the morning newspapers tomorrow...and contrast well with her Blueberry Cheesecake/Retro India outfit.

I just want know as a person who has worked in IT for a long time, where the hell are the Indian girls who look like that.