2009 Oscars Thread

Brian

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
Oh, get ready for the tribute part. Half of the people won't clap for the vast majority, as though those people didn't matter, but will go nuts for about three actors.

Remember the one at The Grammy's a few years ago that ended with Little Joe. Kid Rock was on the stage all emotional. That was dumb.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)
Danny Boyle

You think? Ha...that is a surprise.

I'm really glad I already saw this movie. If I were to see this ceremony before having seen the movie, I'd be led to believe it's one of the greatest movies ever made. I'd be extremely disappointed after then seeing it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
You think? Ha...that is a surprise.

I'm really glad I already saw this movie. If I were to see this ceremony before having seen the movie, I'd be led to believe it's one of the greatest movies ever made. I'd be extremely disappointed after then seeing it.

This happens pretty much every year except for a few occasions, like when "Shakespeare in Love" won for "Saving Private Ryan."

I liked Slumdog so am fine if it wins.

Milkman it's not like it was a great year for Movies anyways.

And if you came into this tonight not thinking that Slumdog was going to not win a lot of awards, well that's just pretty stupid considering all of the awards it's won at previous things (e.g the Golden Globes).

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
I'm going to make a movie about the Holocaust with an all-Indian cast and music by Randy Newman. I'll be the the last person to ever win an Oscar as the Oscar will be renamed after me for all following years to come

Randy Newman has only won once.

Movie about the Holocaust with a score by John Williams starring Meryl Streep.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
Milkman it's not like it was a great year for Movies anyways.

And if you came into this tonight not thinking that Slumdog was going to not win a lot of awards, well that's just pretty stupid considering all of the awards it's won at previous things (e.g the Golden Globes).

Just because it wasn't a great year for movies, it doesn't mean that all of the awards should just be pawned off on one decent flick. I also figured it would win Best Picture, Director, and Screenplay, but didn't expect it to basically sweep.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
It's funny to see Penn there. Doesn't he usually boycott the Oscars, thinking it isn't a competition?

I have no idea.

Also, someone earlier said they read that Penn wants Rourke to win the Oscar. I googled it, and the article I found said it was the other way around.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)
Randy Newman has only won once.

Movie about the Holocaust with a score by John Williams starring Meryl Streep.

Can Tom Hanks and Dame Judy Dench or Helen Mirren appear in supporting roles? His career has been really quiet recently...it seemed to me like he almost owned the Oscars, then the baton was handed off to Russell Crowe.

And I like Tilda Swinton as much as the next person, but does anyone in mainstream America have a clue who she is. Kate Blanchette is practically Katherine Hepburn compared to Swinton's Parker Posey-counter culture hipness.

We need a good Roberto Benini moment with Spielberg just for some needed levity.