2009 Oscars Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 11:45 PM)
Make the gay wrestler retarded and you'll sweep the Oscars.

Not "full" retard like I am Sam.

It has to be Dustin Hoffman/Rain Man or Russell Crowe/Beautiful Mind....disturbed, mental illness, lol. Even Lenny from Of Mice and Men.

That was one of the better moments from Tropic Thunder.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In all fairness, how many times have movies with an "Indian theme" or cast (I'm thinking Monsoon Wedding or Bend It Like Beckham) ever even come close?

And it wasn't directed by an Indian, either.

Gay characters, the Holocaust, you can make some arguments, and musicals like Chicago, Moulin Rouge...but it's not like 1958-1968 when musicals just dominated that era in terms of the Academy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
In all fairness, how many times have movies with an "Indian theme" or cast (I'm thinking Monsoon Wedding or Bend It Like Beckham) ever even come close?

Gay characters, the Holocaust, you can make some arguments, and musicals like Chicago, Moulin Rouge...but it's not like 1958-1968 when musicals just dominated that era in terms of the Academy.

but fliming in India could help keep production costs down.

the main plot would be gay wrestler battling nazi's as he discovers the cure for global warming (all set to a musical). f***ing epic win.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
I want to take Penn's award and smash it up with a hammer.

/obscure wrestling reference

I want to take his award and break it on Hulk Hogan's chest, leaving a permanent scar and causing him to hate me forever.

/Bobby Heenan reference

:lolhitting

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 06:03 AM)

For real. People are mad that an actor who played a character nothing like him beat out an actor who played a character with many similarities. With Rourke as that character you say "oh that's the perfect match", with Penn you say "ooh I can't wait to see what he did with it".

In terms of the history of the oscars, I thought Benjamin Button was the classic academy pick. Numerous locations and documents different era's and costumes, it's the 'epic' movie they love rewarding so much.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 11:45 PM)
For real. People are mad that an actor who played a character nothing like him beat out an actor who played a character with many similarities. With Rourke as that character you say "oh that's the perfect match", with Penn you say "ooh I can't wait to see what he did with it".

In terms of the history of the oscars, I thought Benjamin Button was the classic academy pick. Numerous locations and documents different era's and costumes, it's the 'epic' movie they love rewarding so much.

The thing about CCoBB, it's one of those movies that you can watch or admire, but you don't feel the same sense of identification and "cheering for" Pitt as you do Hanks in Forrest Gump. That, and the syrupy and evolving Jen-nay and Forrest love story was more "touching" to most viewers, and the endings for both, most would agree FG is quite superior.

To top it off, there wasn't that one figure that stands out like Captain Dan in CCoBB, although the woman who took him in at the beginning comes close as the moral center of the movie (T. Henson I think her name is).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 01:39 AM)
The thing about CCoBB, it's one of those movies that you can watch or admire, but you don't feel the same sense of identification and "cheering for" Pitt as you do Hanks in Forrest Gump. That, and the syrupy and evolving Jen-nay and Forrest love story was more "touching" to most viewers, and the endings for both, most would agree FG is quite superior.

To top it off, there wasn't that one figure that stands out like Captain Dan in CCoBB, although the woman who took him in at the beginning comes close as the moral center of the movie (T. Henson I think her name is).

When I first saw CCoBB, I thought it was an entertaining but not great movie. The more praise and nominations it has received, the less and less I liked it. I've seen Forrest Gump probably half a dozen times, but I don't know that I'd ever sit all the way through CCoBB again.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
So Slumdog Millionaire isn't the tied for 8th best movie ever made?

Says more about the quality of films that came out in 2008.

Nothing really stood out, and because Slumdog Millionaire was the low budget film in India that no-one expected to do as good as it's done, that's why it's done so well in all of the awards.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)

Nothing really stood out, and because Slumdog Millionaire was the low budget film in India that no-one expected to do as good as it's done, that's why it's done so well in all of the awards.

Its the Juno effect IMO. Praise for the small movie.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)

I think it's official. We have our default bulls*** excuse that everyone will throw out. Tell me which of the movies that were nominated you saw. Did you see The Dark Knight or The Wrestler (both of which I'd say were better)?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
I think it's official. We have our default bulls*** excuse that everyone will throw out. Tell me which of the movies that were nominated you saw. Did you see The Dark Knight or The Wrestler (both of which I'd say were better)?

I feel the exact same way. This would of been a perfect year to recognize the Superhero movies of the world. At least the good ones.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)

Seen the Dark Knight obviously (you're an idiot if you haven't), and I've seen the Wrestler also.

I actually didn't think the Wrestler was as good as it's been touted to be, but that's JMO.

Slumdog Millionaire is comparable to No Country for Old Men from the last Oscars really.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
I think Penn let it slip at the end that even he thinks Rourke should've won.

It didn't sound that way to me. Just a guy giving praise to another guy, good speech overall.

I'll be very curious to see which if any doors this will open up for Rourke.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
Seen the Dark Knight obviously (you're an idiot if you haven't), and I've seen the Wrestler also.

I actually didn't think the Wrestler was as good as it's been touted to be, but that's JMO.

Slumdog Millionaire is comparable to No Country for Old Men from the last Oscars really.

I agree with your assessment there. I actually thought There Will Be Blood was better than No Country IMO.