2009 Oscars Thread

Brian

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how you guys are essentially giving the academy more legitimacy by implying winning 8 oscars in a given year forces you to be compared to all other years and ranked by Oscars. It seems people in this thread are both decrying the poor choices of the oscars but legitimizing them by getting so upset.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
I agree with your assessment there. I actually thought There Will Be Blood was better than No Country IMO.

I felt that NCFOM was the better movie, with the best performance coming from TWBB. I was in complete agreement with their choices last year. This year, I'm completely in disagreement.

19/24 with my predictions I posted in the films thread. Not really surprising though this year was pretty predictable. I only missed the 3 shorts categories, Sound Editing, and Foreign Film.

As for the worthiness/unworthiness of the winners, you have to remember this is the Academy that we're talking about here. These are the people who never gave Hitchcock an Oscar, did not give Kubrick anything but 1 Oscar for visual effects, and did not give Citizen Kane Best Picture along with many other things that appear laughable now.

I personally thought they did pretty well the last two years rewarding Scorsese and the Coens but I guess they were just due for another let down. I don't think Slumdog will be looked back upon as a great film 5-10 years from now. But of the nominees the only two I liked more were Milk and The Reader. I think that those 2 along with The Wrestler, The Dark Knight, and WALL-E will all withstand the test of time better than Slumdog.

QUOTE (The Bones @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
19/24 with my predictions I posted in the films thread. Not really surprising though this year was pretty predictable. I only missed the 3 shorts categories, Sound Editing, and Foreign Film.

As for the worthiness/unworthiness of the winners, you have to remember this is the Academy that we're talking about here. These are the people who never gave Hitchcock an Oscar, did not give Kubrick anything but 1 Oscar for visual effects, and did not give Citizen Kane Best Picture along with many other things that appear laughable now.

I personally thought they did pretty well the last two years rewarding Scorsese and the Coens but I guess they were just due for another let down. I don't think Slumdog will be looked back upon as a great film 5-10 years from now. But of the nominees the only two I liked more were Milk and The Reader. I think that those 2 along with The Wrestler, The Dark Knight, and WALL-E will all withstand the test of time better than Slumdog.

Great post Bones.

Slumdog, is a feel good, put a smile on your face, root for the underdog, love story....that you forget about 15 minutes after leaving the show. It has no replay value for me. I wonder how well it will do with people paying to watch it multiple times at the movies and how well it will do in DVD sales. Although I'm not sure DVD sales is a good measure any more.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
Great post Bones.

Slumdog, is a feel good, put a smile on your face, root for the underdog, love story....that you forget about 15 minutes after leaving the show. It has no replay value for me. I wonder how well it will do with people paying to watch it multiple times at the movies and how well it will do in DVD sales. Although I'm not sure DVD sales is a good measure any more.

Exactly.