Flowers getting tips from AJ

southsider2k5

I didn't realize how short of a time this kid has acutally been catching. It makes me feel better about where he is defensively as a C.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6956242.story

GLENDALE, Ariz. — From the time he arrives early to Camelback Ranch in a collared blue shirt and khaki slacks to when he finishes his last defensive drill, Tyler Flowers is all business.

The unofficial title as the " White Sox's catcher of the future" hasn't altered Flowers' preparation.

As a full-time catcher for less than two years, the 6-foot-4-inch, 245-pound Flowers realizes he has more room for defensive improvement. He needs more than his mammoth power to fulfill the projections the Sox have made for him since he was acquired from Atlanta in November.

"I can remember at the beginning of last season at (high Class A) Myrtle Beach kind of feeling lost and not knowing what I was doing," Flowers said. "But as the season went on and in the Arizona Fall League, I think I improved so much. Hopefully, I improved a lot more than other people that were around me all year.

"I'm just going to keep working hard. If I make those progressions this season and next season, I'll have a chance."

If Flowers, 23, can improve enough to take over the catching duties in 2011, he could join a cast of highly touted young catchers that includes Seattle's Jeff Clement (drafted third overall in 2005), Baltimore's Matt Wieters (fifth overall in 2007) and the 2008 class of San Francisco's Buster Posey (fifth overall), Florida's Kyle Skipworth (sixth) and Houston's Jason Castro (10th).

Shortly after pitcher Javier Vazquez passed a physical examination to complete the six-player trade with the Braves, speculation arose whether Flowers eventually would move back to his original position, first base.

"I think this guy is going to be an All-Star catcher," general manager Ken Williams said at the time. "I think [returning to first base] is the furthest thing from my mind."

Williams said he watched Flowers at least seven times in the fall league and raved about his power, which produced a league-leading 12 home runs. The Sox also saw enough promise despite a lack of experience to believe he could become a full-time catcher even sooner than 2011 if durable A.J. Pierzynski were injured.

Flowers said he didn't start catching until his first year at Chipola Junior College in Florida and was rushed into becoming a full-time catcher while recovering from knee surgery in 2007 that had relegated him to first base at low Class A Rome.

"Our catcher was taken out, and our backup catcher broke his thumb two pitches later," Flowers said.

Flowers has adjusted to the pitch-by-pitch demands of catching.

"I don't think anyone can understand it until they try it," he said.

To enhance his skills, Flowers said he will seek tips from Pierzynski, who has handled the Sox staff for the last four seasons.

"I'm going to pick his brain on everything that comes to his mind," Flowers said. "He has been very open to me."

Flowers was just as open about his 50-game suspension for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs shortly after signing a professional contract in 2006.

Flowers silenced critics with 17 home runs and 32 doubles for Myrtle Beach last summer and then hitting .387 with 12 homers in 20 games for Mesa in the fall league.

"It was an unfortunate event, a mistake in college," he said. "I haven't done anything [since]. We get tested all the time. I've had more success after that than before it, so it shouldn't be an issue."

[email protected]

Reprint

Hope springs eternal in the human breast;

Man never Is, but always To be blest:

The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,

Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

-Alexander Pope,

An Essay on Man, Epistle I, 1733

I love spring training.

Last year was actually his first full season as a catcher.

In 2006, he caught 7 games, played 22 at 1B, and 4 at DH

In 2007, he caught 12 games, played 67 at 1B, and 24 at DH

In 2008, he caught 82 games, played one at 1B, and 39 at DH

Somewhere buried in the archives of "WhiteSox Weekly" on the SCORE website is a very nice radio interview Ronge did with Flowers the week after we acquired him. He talks about his development as a catcher in the interview.

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 08:32 AM)
These articles are still weird to me. Ive known Tyler forever.

So, when you going to invite him to post here? ;) We've had a few players post here, but usually by AAA they get too busy to keep posting.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
So, when you going to invite him to post here? ;) We've had a few players post here, but usually by AAA they get too busy to keep posting.

Ill mention it to him lol.

Hes from my home town, and played baseball at East Cobb forever where my Best Friend played and i umpired. Then he ended up playing for the Danville Braves when i worked there.

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
Ill mention it to him lol.

Hes from my home town, and played baseball at East Cobb forever where my Best Friend played and i umpired. Then he ended up playing for the Danville Braves when i worked there.

Even if he doesn't want to post, we'd love to interview him for the site. If you find out he is interested, contact one of us and we will get it arranged. Thanks!