Stimulus and High Speed Rail

HuskyCaucasian

I see a few misconceptions in this thread...

For one, I don't think the issue is "get it now", at all. In fact, high speed rail will get you there a lot faster than a car, and sometimes even a plane ride, for a lot of intercity routes. I think the real issue with Americans is the perceived concept of "freedom" and "control" that goes with a car.

As for speed, let me illustrate. Look at one of those high speed corridors - the one that goes Chicago-Milwaukee-Madison-LaCrosse-Minneapolis. I happen to drive to the LaCrosse area a few times a year. From downtown Chicago, it takes 5 to 6 hours to drive to LaCrosse, depending on traffic. Right now, if you take the Amtrak, it takes about 4:45, so under 5 hours. Its already faster, but a little bit. Now, make that a high speed corridor, which increases speeds in the open by 40mph, and its suddenly 3.5 hours or maybe 4. Now, its a LOT faster to take the train. Same applies to other cities on that line - going to MIL, MAD, MSP... all significantly faster. Oh and, if you fly to MIL or Madison or LaCrosse or MSP, by the time you factor in commuting to the airport, waiting in lines, getting their early for check in and security, flight time, taxi time, and a high probability of delays... and the train is ALSO faster than flying.

The issue is control. Americans have this idea that by driving a car, they have more "freedom". And it is sort of true, in terms of your ability to go places off the train lines. I hear this reason from people who make the stupid decision to commute to downtown Chicago via car. They say "I have control, I don't have to wait 10 minutes for a train". Never mind that it takes them longer, costs them hundreds of dollars more a month in parking and gas, and they have no freedom whatsoever during the commute (whereas on the train you can read, work, whatever). Their concept is, they have "control".

That is the mindset you'd need to get past. Not speed.

One other caveat - Amtrak is not price-competitive on some routes. That would also need to be addressed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
I see a few misconceptions in this thread...

For one, I don't think the issue is "get it now", at all. In fact, high speed rail will get you there a lot faster than a car, and sometimes even a plane ride, for a lot of intercity routes. I think the real issue with Americans is the perceived concept of "freedom" and "control" that goes with a car.

As for speed, let me illustrate. Look at one of those high speed corridors - the one that goes Chicago-Milwaukee-Madison-LaCrosse-Minneapolis. I happen to drive to the LaCrosse area a few times a year. From downtown Chicago, it takes 5 to 6 hours to drive to LaCrosse, depending on traffic. Right now, if you take the Amtrak, it takes about 4:45, so under 5 hours. Its already faster, but a little bit. Now, make that a high speed corridor, which increases speeds in the open by 40mph, and its suddenly 3.5 hours or maybe 4. Now, its a LOT faster to take the train. Same applies to other cities on that line - going to MIL, MAD, MSP... all significantly faster. Oh and, if you fly to MIL or Madison or LaCrosse or MSP, by the time you factor in commuting to the airport, waiting in lines, getting their early for check in and security, flight time, taxi time, and a high probability of delays... and the train is ALSO faster than flying.

The issue is control. Americans have this idea that by driving a car, they have more "freedom". And it is sort of true, in terms of your ability to go places off the train lines. I hear this reason from people who make the stupid decision to commute to downtown Chicago via car. They say "I have control, I don't have to wait 10 minutes for a train". Never mind that it takes them longer, costs them hundreds of dollars more a month in parking and gas, and they have no freedom whatsoever during the commute (whereas on the train you can read, work, whatever). Their concept is, they have "control".

That is the mindset you'd need to get past. Not speed.

One other caveat - Amtrak is not price-competitive on some routes. That would also need to be addressed.

Excellent post.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
Show of hands though, who here actually rides Amtrak on a regular basis?

When I go to NYC I take Amtrak, later this summer I plan to go to Boston and I'll be taking the Amtrak there too.