2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
apparently, Mauer has had that kidney problem since he was born. I guess the pain really bothered him last year and decided to have to surgery in the offseason. I guess it was supposed to be a routine procedure, but obviously Mauer is still not better

I hope he gets better, never a good thing to see good talent face something out of their control like that. I hope he goes 0-fer against us, but damn he is an amazing player.

Damn that sucks. God I just hope I don't have to hear the "casual fans" in the world, that the Twins could of had Mark Teixeira (or even Gavin Floyd to an extent) if Mauer's career takes the same route as Prior (unfortunate bad luck/injuries) since they were suppose to "regret" taking Mauer over Prior in the first place.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
Mauer has an inflammation of a joint in his lower back, unrelated to the surgery he had in the offseason. I guess the Twins are going to get a second opinion to see what kind of action to take (stronger medication or something)

It worked well for Joe Crede.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
Please tell me we face the Royals a couple times in the first few weeks of the season so that we get a shot at him before he's cut.

Come on, he's got to get one homestand in KC so he can economically stimulate the BBQ industry

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
With the exception of Baker, the twins rotation is having a great spring. Scary.

Baker has a 6.85 ERA in 6 starts; Liriano has a 5.18 ERA in 7 starts; Blackburn has only pitched 9 innings as he's struggling to recover from off-season knee surgery... which could result in Humber replacing him in the rotation; Humber has a 4.91 ERA this spring.

So... what's the scary part?

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 11:26 AM)
Baker has a 6.85 ERA in 6 starts; Liriano has a 5.18 ERA in 7 starts; Blackburn has only pitched 9 innings as he's struggling to recover from off-season knee surgery... which could result in Humber replacing him in the rotation; Humber has a 4.91 ERA this spring.

So... what's the scary part?

The Scary part for me is that they are the Twins. Nothing seems to phase them, even in down years.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
The Scary part for me is that they are the Twins. Nothing seems to phase them, even in down years.

I think the Verducci Effect could nab them this year.

Perkins pitched 50-something innings in 2007 and 184 innings in 2008.

Liriano pitched 120 innings in 2006... 0 innings in 2007... and 190+ innings in 2008.

Those are stats screaming "a trip to the DL is coming in 2009".

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)

Liriano pitched 120 innings in 2006... 0 innings in 2007... and 190+ innings in 2008.

If they lose Liriano and Perkins, it is going to be a tough year for the Twins for sure

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)

I'm afraid it's going to catch Danks though too, as Danks threw 60+ more innings in 2008 than he did in 07.

The Twins also have Anthony Swarzak who is probably close to the majors, and he seems to be right in that Blackburn/Slowey mold.

Every team in the Central has its question marks. It's pretty much impossible to predict who is going to win it at this point in the season, and the winner could very well only win 85 games (though it's usually in the 88-92 territory).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
I'm afraid it's going to catch Danks though too, as Danks threw 60+ more innings in 2008 than he did in 07.

The Twins also have Anthony Swarzak who is probably close to the majors, and he seems to be right in that Blackburn/Slowey mold.

Every team in the Central has its question marks. It's pretty much impossible to predict who is going to win it at this point in the season, and the winner could very well only win 85 games (though it's usually in the 88-92 territory).

good call on Swarzak. There is also Phillip Humber, but he is out of options and must make the big league club or be offered up on waivers. Brian Duensing is not a big time propect, but played with the US Olympic team last year and has started throughout the minor leagues. RA Dickey is hanging around training camp and his knuckler has looked good. And if all else fails, the Twins could trade one of their 19,000 outfield prospects to get something.

All that said, I am a bit worried about all the young arms who racked up a ton of innings last year

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
All that said, I am a bit worried about all the young arms who racked up a ton of innings last year

I would be too, but you have to imagine that the bullpen will bounce back to atleast respectability. From like the All-Star break and on, there was always a pitcher in that bullpen doing their damnedest to try and blow a game (and a lot of times they did). I don't see that happening again this year.