2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
I would be too, but you have to imagine that the bullpen will bounce back to atleast respectability. From like the All-Star break and on, there was always a pitcher in that bullpen doing their damnedest to try and blow a game (and a lot of times they did). I don't see that happening again this year.

didnt the royals trade a good bullpen arm from last year for crisp?

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian Bannister is on the DL, too. That makes the Royals' rotation Greinke, Meche, Davies, Ponson and Ramirez. Not worrisome. If Daniel Cortes and Hochevar pitched like projected, then I would start to seriously give them consideration as a contender and going in the right direction.

The Twins haven't gotten anything out of Mulvey and Humber. That Gomez trade is going to depend on Carlos at least putting up a 750 OPS this season. Young almost played and acted his way out of his second organization in two years, despite being one of the youngest and more talented players in all of baseball.

Mijares, from what I've heard, has been dismal in camp. I think they were really pushing things to hope from repeat performances for Breslow and Mijares, who gained even more weight (they were too cheap to keep AL Central dominator Denys Reyes) and they didn't sign Juan Cruz thankfully (Gagne would have been perfectly disastrous for Mr. Bill Smith, but they let him off the hook and threw him back).

While they could trade Span or Cuddyer, they wouldn't get much of value in return.

Blackburn and Perkins were each going backwards at the end of the season, and the innings pitched numbers might drag them down this season, especially Perkins, who was coming off injury. Jury's still out on Mr. Liriano, and whoever is the primary RH set-up guy. Last year, that was the biggest hole on their roster.

If Crede and Punto struggle offensively or with health issues, this team will be the equivalent of the White Sox defensively on turf, except in CF with Gomez and RF/LF if Span is playing instead of Cuddyer or Kubel. At least they are/were smart enough to have a better back-up catcher than Corky Miller, C. Armstrong or D. Lucy.

UPDATE:

The Tigers are expected to erase almost $50 million in 2009 salaries with the releases of Willis, Robertson and Sheffield. (Just imagine how much we b**** and moan about MacDougal, Contreras, Thome and Konerko....but eating THAT much salary???)

Perry and Porcello are both going North with the Tigers. Rodney is the closer. Dolsi, who pitched so well last year, didn't even make the club.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 06:49 AM)
UPDATE:

The Tigers are expected to erase almost $50 million in 2009 salaries with the releases of Willis, Robertson and Sheffield. (Just imagine how much we b**** and moan about MacDougal, Contreras, Thome and Konerko....but eating THAT much salary???)

Perry and Porcello are both going North with the Tigers. Rodney is the closer. Dolsi, who pitched so well last year, didn't even make the club.

That kid has bounced around a little bit, hasnt he? I think I remember Hawk waxing poetic about his arm last year and wondering how he hasnt stuck with one team

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 07:13 AM)
That kid has bounced around a little bit, hasnt he? I think I remember Hawk waxing poetic about his arm last year and wondering how he hasnt stuck with one team

I will have to take a look at his numbers against other teams, because as we all know the Sox have a habit of making horrible pitchers look awesome.

Bub-buh- he's an ace, right? He's going to carry that rotation to the top? Right? Right? No, way was last year a fluke... that would be like, like saying that Carmona's good year two years ago was a fluke! And to do that would be to acknowledge the White Sox as legitmate contenders in this division! Impossible!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Bub-buh- he's an ace, right? He's going to carry that rotation to the top? Right? Right? No, way was last year a fluke... that would be like, like saying that Carmona's good year two years ago was a fluke! And to do that would be to acknowledge the White Sox as legitmate contenders in this division! Impossible!

Well, it is also the first game of the year, so we dont have much to work with either way

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)

It is unfair to say carmona was a fluke. He had a damn solid minor league career and was touted pretty well during that span. He was higher touted than say laffey, who some expect big things out of. I just think it is too early to put a label on carmona's 2007 season, we do not have enough of an mlb track record to work off of just yet. Last year he just had massive control issues, nothing like he has experienced in the past.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Well, it is also the first game of the year, so we dont have much to work with either way

Don't question my logic. In no way, am i biased at all in this matter. :gosoxretro:

RE: Carmona

Yes, he had a great minor league career, but prior to his "breakout" he'd shown a lot of things at the Major League level, but very few of them had been positive. Fact is: Carmona imploded in the playoffs, and hasn't been the same since. It's very hard to judge just what kind of player he will turn out to be, but people seem to book him as a solid return this year, regardless of these question marks.

QUOTE (tommy @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
I'm so excited about baseball season, Cliff Lee gave up 4 in 2 innings of work so far.

the indians can afford to lose these games Lee starts...carl pavano will be the stopper in game 3 :lol:

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
Remember when Millwood consistently hit 97, and threw that curveball for strikes? Command's always been an issue for the guy, and while he's had a decent career his upside could have been spectacular.

League averages the last three seasons around the majors.

Overall: 6.8 K/9, 3.4 BB/9

Starters: 6.5 K/9, 3.1 BB/9

Relievers: 7.5 K/9, 3.9 BB/9

Overall: 6.7 K/9, 3.3 BB/9

Starters: 6.3 K/9, 3.1 BB/9

Relievers: 7.4 K/9, 3.7 BB/9

Overall: 6.6 K/9, 3.3 BB/9

Starters: 6.2 K/9, 3.1 BB/9

Relievers: 7.3 K/9, 3.7 BB/9

Thus, in general, the average pitcher should be expected to post rates around 6.7 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9, with the average starter closer to 6.3 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 and the average reliever closer to 7.4 K/9 and 3.7 BB/9.

Millwood

2006- 6.6 K/9, 2.2 BB/9

2007- 6.4 K/9, 3.5 BB/9

2008- 6.7 K/9, 2.6 BB/9

Career 7.2 K/9, 2.7 BB/9

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
It is unfair to say carmona was a fluke. He had a damn solid minor league career and was touted pretty well during that span. He was higher touted than say laffey, who some expect big things out of. I just think it is too early to put a label on carmona's 2007 season, we do not have enough of an mlb track record to work off of just yet. Last year he just had massive control issues, nothing like he has experienced in the past.

His periphs in spring training were alarming though (Carmona's). I look at his periph's from spring training since he had a small sample size of a season last year due to injuries. Bottom line Carmona didn't show much this spring but I agree its far too early to write him off, given how dominant he looked two years ago.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
His periphs in spring training were alarming though (Carmona's). I look at his periph's from spring training since he had a small sample size of a season last year due to injuries. Bottom line Carmona didn't show much this spring but I agree its far too early to write him off, given how dominant he looked two years ago.

Coop will fix him?

I really don't see whats so good about the Tigers ESPN. Really not all that impressed with their lineup or pitching for that matter. And yet they are considered an option to win the division, highly unlikely I took them to finish last.

Royals lineup and pitching is much better.