2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

Edwin Jackson, one of our most coveted targets (at least in some circles) for the fifth starter's spot has gone out and owned the Blue Jays on the road. Very impressive start to his season after Verlander was shellacked last night. Tough place to win, especially for the White Sox.

7 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 4 K's

Edwin Jackson and Reyes both have a chance to really figure things out this year...I still think that Tigers' rotation isn't going to be as bad as most here believe. But that's the thing with Jackson (like Jon Garland), he'll go out and dominate one game and disappear the next. But when you average a 95 MPH fastball, that's different than being a typical sinkerballer.

Jinxed him, Rolen just hit a homer...so now has given up one run, no outs in the 8th, 3-1 Tigers. First test of the new and improved Tigers' bullpen.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 08:09 PM)
First test of the new and improved Tigers' bullpen.

Teehee. Brandon Lyons pulled a Farnsworth. Aaron Hill makes it 4-3 Jays after 8. Unfortunately, Ryan gave up a bomb to Inge and it's tied in the 9th.

Edit: Didn't matter. Lyons blew it anyway. Tigers 0-2.

Twins win in typical MetroDOOM fashion. God, I'll be glad when that place is detonated/eviscerated.

The M's have a 5-3 lead in the bottom of the ninth with two outs...of course, Morrow proceeds to load the bases with walks. Wakamatsu proceeds to wait one too many batters to pull him...then Batista comes in and gives up a typical infield single to 3B that Beltre can't make a play on with the annoying Span running...and Alexi Casilla slaps the next pitch up the middle for a 6-5 victory.

I knew it was too good to be true, but the Mariners have really been playing the Twins tough since last season. Still, it would have been sweet to have the Tigers and Twins starting off the season at 0-2.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 08:59 PM)
This is the maddest I've been in a Sox win opener. I know it's just one game, but to let 5 people in a row reach base with 2 outs in the 9th is piss poor.

Every single game last year in the second half between these two teams was exactly like this game...it does suck, especially since the M's are playing without Ichiro in this series.

Look at it this way...both the White Sox and Twins picked up victories today that they really didn't deserve. It happens, and it happens more often than not in the Metrodome, there's no point in getting upset about it.

The Twins' fans get really POed because they know they can outplay us for 7-8 innings and then one HR will take everything away (see Game 163). Whereas they have to scratch and claw with walks and Astroturf singles and grind it out...without Mauer and Redmond, they're going to have a tough time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
Every single game last year in the second half between these two teams was exactly like this game...it does suck, especially since the M's are playing without Ichiro in this series.

Look at it this way...both the White Sox and Twins picked up victories today that they really didn't deserve. It happens, and it happens more often than not in the Metrodome, there's no point in getting upset about it.

The Twins' fans get really POed because they know they can outplay us for 7-8 innings and then one HR will take everything away (see Game 163). Whereas they have to scratch and claw with walks and Astroturf singles and grind it out...without Mauer and Redmond, they're going to have a tough time.

Yeah I see your point for sure. But at the same time, if they're very close to the division lead, or have the division lead by the time Mauer comes back, it's going to be hard to beat them. That's why it's horrible seeing the Mariners gift wrap this game and send it in the mail for the Twins.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
Yeah I see your point for sure. But at the same time, if they're very close to the division lead, or have the division lead by the time Mauer comes back, it's going to be hard to beat them. That's why it's horrible seeing the Mariners gift wrap this game and send it in the mail for the Twins.

Well, the Cubs lost. It's a sign of our fandom we're more upset when the Indians or Twins escape with a victory...a positive evolution.

I really don't expect for the White Sox to win this division unless everything goes exactly right and nobody gets injured. In some ways, 2009 is just like the 2008 season was for the Twins. We're in that transition year from some of the veterans to Beckham, Viciedo and Allen and possibly Flowers. The first phase is Fields and Getz paired with CQ and Alisay...KW has to turn over this roster for obvious reasons which stood out like a sore thumb today.

OTOH, the biggest concern is replacing the back of our rotation...starting 2010 with the likes of Richard/Poreda/Marquez doesn't bode well for competing next year unless someone really emerges or we can make another trade acquisition or FA move.

At least we'll have the payroll flexibility if we have a competitive season this year and don't go below 2,000,000 in attendance. I just don't like how JR is already talking about losing sponsors for next season and having to cut back again. Which is why it's so critical we're in the race for most of the season.

the best part (in my case, the worst part in Sox fans cases) is that Carlos Gomez was at 2 strikes and 2 outs in the 9th, and he drew a walk. Carlos Gomez just doesn't walk (last year he had only 25 walks in 600+ plate appearance)

--

I caught a good part of the Sox/Royals game today on the Extra Innings, I gotta say that I think I like the pairing of Hawk and Steve Stone in the TV booth. To me, Hawk sounded refreshed..or something along those line.

anyway, he's to another exciting season! :cheers