2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
well, the dimensions of the new stadium is going to be nearly identical to Metrodome (I think centerfield is going to be a few feet shorter because of space constraints), and the Grounds crew and shape the dirt and infield grass to help the Twins out (if my memory serves me right, I think the White Sox do the same thing by shaping the basepaths from first and third in a way so that bunts go foul. But I could be wrong on that) . One thing I havent heard discussed much is how the wind is going to play a factor on things. I think the Twins Cities is one of the windiest metro areas in the country (Top 10ish). But of course, one doesn't really know all that stuff until you play games there (see Yankee Stadium)

I remember Terry Ryan saying that there was a lot of discussion about how the ballpark was going to be built, but the conclusion was make it similar and then the organization can continue to Draft players just about the same. I just hope they draft a few more boppers instead of toolsy outfielders.

Actually, almost every bunt that gets onto the dirty down the 3B line at USCF stays fair...which is very strange, because the White Sox have very few bunters on their team. If you watched the game in BALT last night, you'd notice that the grass comes almost right up to the foul line, so it's much harder to bunt down the lines there...despite the presence of Jones, Roberts and Pie, you would THINK their groundskeepers would do the opposite.

If they are smart, the Twins would find a way to have a "jetstream" going against RH hitters and one taking balls hit up into the air to RF out, like in Yankee Stadium. That would benefit Morneau and Mauer...and the White Sox have predominantly RH power hitters, with the exception of Thome, who will be gone after 2009 in all likelihood.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
I wish Greinke would go back to being depressed again. This dude is really, really starting to scare me.

Nice and tasteless, right there. You do realize the kid was almost suicidal at one point, right? He's got a world of talent and despite my White Sox fanboyism, i'd love to see the kid realize it

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 12:36 AM)
Why are the Sox so inconsistent compared to other teams? Why are the Sox foes in the Central also for the most part inconsistent? Look like world beaters a couple games; bottom feeders in others.

Still too early to answer that question as far as this season is concerned. Last year was just a down year for the division. But let's not forget in 2006 that we won 90 games and finished in third place. It goes in cycles.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
Certainly he's better than Egbert.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
It's debatable, but I tend to doubt it. Humber has had one good season in his professional career, 2006, when he was good in high A and AA. He's been mediocre in AAA and actually regressed from 2007 to 2008.

Too bad. :(

Humber might look good on this team as a 12th guy.

Simple...

Mostly because of our hitting approach, which is pull/homer happy. When we take the ball to the opposite field and are content with singles and doubles, we can be even more effective than the mashing approach.

Notice TOR last night? They're not a home-run hitting team, they're a gap to gap team. Of course, they have their share of power...Alex Rios is the only player on their team with less than 2 HR's.

80-85% of the games we've won have been about homers...and 15-20% about manufacturing offense.

Getz is the only real "spray" hitter we have that's willing to go to the opposite field, along with AJ when the mood suits him. That's why mixing in hitters with more versatility and athleticism like Beckham and Brandon Allen (three triples already) will do wonders (one would hope) for the offensive approach.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 01:21 AM)
Oh give me a break. I was obviously joking.

It’s a hell of a thing to joke about, isn’t it? I don’t want to sound slavishly defensive, I’ve got a sense of humor, I just don’t think the enormity of Greinke’s situation should be made a laughing manner.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)
I thought it was funny. Perhaps when KC starts tanking again he'll get a little upset and realize he's committed himself to a loser.

your avatar vids get better and better

Detroit continues to impress. Verlander finally figures some things out and beats Sabathia, who's going to start receiving boos in Gotham City soon enough. They had Rodney on the ropes (scored two in the top of the 9th) but Posada ended up grounding into a DP to quell the threat.

Minnesota is struggling with the Rays at home. Good match-up of two teams with similar styles. Baker still hasn't had a good start. Crede, Cuddyer, Gomez and Punto are dragging that offense into the gutter, along with D. Young.

Royals behind newly-promoted Bannister (replacing H. Ramirez in rotation) wipe out Blue Jays. Of course, they got to face the infamous Mr. Purcey. Guillen coming off the DL took him deep twice and former Sox Miguel Olivo also went yard.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
Cliff Lee 8 strong against Boston but Wood gives up a 3 run bomb to Bay in a 0-0 game in the top of the 9th

I wonder when they would put Lee on the market. They're saying sooner than later if they don't get their s*** together. Before June? I have to believe Shapiro is looking at his starting rotation and saying this ain't gonna get it. I won't mind saying so long to another tough lefty in this division.

Indians are bouncing back. Hold off on that Cliff Lee deal for now...looking like they will take 2 in a row from the formerly hottest team in baseball, the Red Sox.

Very strange ending last night with former White Sox LHR Javier Lopez mishandling a simple toss from Youkilis that would have sent game into extras and DeRosa scoring all the way from 2nd base.

Looks very much like all four teams in the Central will be within 1/2 game of each other and first place after tonight. Undoubtedly will be back-and-forth like this all season long.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
Any arguement about Lincecum and Greinke being the best pitchers in their respective league's?

Yes, probally because i do not base things off of three weeks, or one season even. Both have ways to go until they can be given that tag, in my opnion