2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
I wish the Sox had this opinion. I hope when the go up to Minnesota this year they have the attitude that they are going to kick their ass, not tipping their cap to everything Twins like the last few years, and waiting for something to go wrong.

I fully agree. I'm tired of going to the Dome for each series and seeing the Sox lay and egg. It'd be nice for once to see the Sox actually play well in the Dome, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Felix

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
I fully agree. I'm tired of going to the Dome for each series and seeing the Sox lay and egg. It'd be nice for once to see the Sox actually play well in the Dome, but I'm not holding my breath.

The mojo, the mental edge that the Twins had over the Sox for so long was exorcised when we won game 163. Home or road, we'll kick their butts this year.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
Papelbon trying to f*ck us over.

he came through...

Looks like the Twins are home again, so look for everyone to knob them and completely ignore that they are just following the trend of dominating at home and sucking on the road and they've played more home games than than the Tigers and Sox

So the Twins traded Johan Santana, Matt Garza, and Jason Barlett for this:

Delmon Young: .231/.272/.265 1 HR (barely got over the wall and BA would've had a chance at it,) 14 RBI's, 1 2B, 5 GIDP's, 41 K's in 117 at-bats

Carlos Gomez: .217/.276/.302 0 HR, 4 RBI's, 4 SB, 3 CS, 26 K's in 106 at-bats

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 05:40 AM)

Delmon Young: .231/.272/.265 1 HR (barely got over the wall and BA would've had a chance at it,) 14 RBI's, 1 2B, 5 GIDP's, 41 K's in 117 at-bats

The Twins could be a few years from a Pirates like existance if these are the types of trades they are pulling off. A big part of their success has been trading guys who were about to cost them large amounts of money, for guys that became cornerstones for the next five years. Their last few deal have been dismal, leaving them to depend entirely on their farms system and washed up bargain free agents. That is not a good formula for success.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 10:18 AM)
The Twins could be a few years from a Pirates like existance if these are the types of trades they are pulling off. A big part of their success has been trading guys who were about to cost them large amounts of money, for guys that became cornerstones for the next five years. Their last few deal have been dismal, leaving them to depend entirely on their farms system and washed up bargain free agents. That is not a good formula for success.

They'll never be as bad as the Pirates as long as they have Mauer and Morneau. But I see where you're getting at.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
They'll never be as bad as the Pirates as long as they have Mauer and Morneau. But I see where you're getting at.

Realistically, if they don't start hitting on some of the deals soon, the team will fall to the bottom of the division. Once that happens attendence historically falls to near nothing. If they get to the point of drawing 15,000 a night like they did in the late 90's, they won't be able to afford one, or both, of those guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
Realistically, if they don't start hitting on some of the deals soon, the team will fall to the bottom of the division. Once that happens attendence historically falls to near nothing. If they get to the point of drawing 15,000 a night like they did in the late 90's, they won't be able to afford one, or both, of those guys.

New ballpark?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)

15k was a great night back in teh mid-late 90's. Games were more like 8-9-10k, but that was tickets sold. actual people at the Dome was more like 5 or 6k.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)

If they arent going to be able to pony up the big bucks when these two become FA, then they are going to be like the Pirates watching Bonilla and Bonds exit stage left

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 05:40 AM)

As a Sox fan, I see nothing wrong with this.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
Was that the same type of contract that Buehrle got before, that takes him a little bit past his Arb years?

that contract bought out 1 or 2 Arb years.

Mauer contract runs out after the 2010 season. The current contract bought out his arb and 1 year F.A.

Indians optioned RHP Fausto Carmona to Arizona League Indians.

How the mighty have fallen! Carmona heads to rookie league ball to try and figure out how to pitch again. It doesn't seem extreme, based upon his performance -- a 7.42 ERA, with more walks (41) than strikeouts (36) in 60 2/3 innings. Carmona did the same thing in 2008, so he's been lost for a while.