2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 01:55 AM)
Two parties have to agree to a contract. The Tigers chose to put in the option.

Are you really asking why any team can't just go to court and try and undo a contract they offered to a player at one time? It would be happening weekly.

Not to put words in Greg's mouth, but I think he may be asking why the Tigers couldn't effectively argue: "Judge, the parties mutually agreed to an option that vested at X number of at-bats. However, the team, in the exercise of its good-faith, baseball judgment, legitmately believed that giving Magglio X number of at-bats was not in the team's competitive best interests in 2009. Furthermore, we believe that triggering the option would not be in its competitive best interests for 2010."

I think that's a legitimate, legal argument. Magglio is hitting .296, but has only 7 HRs and 40 RBIs. I think the Tigers could at least try and make a case that he was benched in an attempt to obtain better power production from his positon, not to intentionally screw with the option (depending upon who the team gave his at-bats to). That's a team's prerogative, regardless of the particulars of any specific player's contract. The test would be whether or not the benching was done in "good faith." Boras and company would argue like hell that it wasn't.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Do you guys think Minnesota is going to steal the division in the final year of the s***dome? Are the Twins the ones who will overcome the choking Tigers?

Not if there's anything i can do about it.

*dials Tonya Harding's number*

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Do you guys think Minnesota is going to steal the division in the final year of the s***dome? Are the Twins the ones who will overcome the choking Tigers?

Don't you actually have to be good to choke?

2005 was almost a choke job but the Injuns were playing incredible ball as well.

The Rockies now would be a choke job if the Giants swept them and then if the Giants lost to the cub, that would be a choke job.

The 2006 Tigers was a choke job in the World Series.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
KC already up 5-0 in the 3rd against DET. Edwin Jackson taking a beating, and Greinke is rolling (2 IP, he's struck out 5, given up 1 hit). If the Sox can win a game tonight, we're back where we were 24 hours ago (5.5 out).

I have posted in regard to this game in three different threads.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
I thought he had a decent year but nothing outstanding. Didn't he pitch in game 3 with Garza in game 4?

No, Edwin Jackson pitched a whopping 2 innings in the World Series

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/pitchi...se&type=reg

It went Kazmir-Shields-Garza-Sonnanstine I believe