2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
Tracking 2 of my favorite overhyped Twins OFs:

Delmon Young: .200/.226/.300, 9 K's in 30 AB's (Only XBH was against Buehrle on a wall scraping home rune)

Carlos Gomez: .125/.176/.219 9 K's in 32 AB's 2/1 SB/CS

I don't even know who really hypes Gomez, besides Hawk.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
ESPN, a couple of posters who don't think the Mets got Santana for nothing much.

Also, when I went to the Dump Dome last summer I saw just as many Gomez shirts as Morneau shirts.

The Sox literally subsidize his batting average, his splits vs. us were crazy. Take them away and he is just plain below average.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)

Delmon Young: .200/.226/.300, 9 K's in 30 AB's (Only XBH was against Buehrle on a wall scraping home rune)

What's awesome is the Twins paid for them at the hyped up values.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
I don't even know who really hypes Gomez, besides Hawk.

Gomez was hyped. I think everyone currently realizes he sucks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
Porcello tears through the Mariners, continuing the Tigers' string of very decent starting pitching...only one ER (homer) in 7 IP.

I was following that a bit on gameday and his movement and velocity on his sinker scared the s*** out of me. 92-94 on with good sink? s***. His control was on and maybe he won't be that consistent this year, but I picked him up in both of my fantasy leagues just in case. He has already given up 3 HR in 12 innings as compared to 7 in 125 IP in high-A last year though. Something to watch.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
I was following that a bit on gameday and his movement and velocity on his sinker scared the s*** out of me. 92-94 on with good sink? s***. His control was on and maybe he won't be that consistent this year, but I picked him up in both of my fantasy leagues just in case. He has already given up 3 HR in 12 innings as compared to 7 in 125 IP in high-A last year though. Something to watch.

I haven't heard anything from the Tigers, but I imagine even if he's completely lights out this year they will monitor his innings pitched.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)

Delmon Young isn't really hyped at all. Pretty much everyone realizes that he sucks right now, and unless he makes some serious adjustments at the plate (i.e. not swinging blindly at the first pitch every AB), he's going to find himself out of a job and out of Minnesota fairly quickly. If he had any defense at all he might get some more leeway, but he's a terrible defensive player who has a horrible offensive approach.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
Gomez was hyped. I think everyone currently realizes he sucks.

He currently sucks, yes, but he's got a bright future ahead of him if he can figure out how to hit the breaking ball and draw some walks. He's already one of the best defensive CFers in the majors (if not the best), and with his speed he's always a threat to steal once he gets on base. He's still young though, so it's really tough to tell where he'll end up.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
I like the way that sounds better.

It sounds better, sure, but Greinke is a better pitcher than Danks (and I love me some Danks). He's been fantastic lately, and the sky's the limit as far as his potential goes.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)

Is Neshak gone all season?

This division is shaping up to be a great battle. I don't see any team pulling away or any team fading fast. I thought the tribe might do a first half disappearing act, but they seem to be getting their act together.

Yes, Neshek is expected to miss all of the 2009 season...they waited too long to do surgery.

Matt Guerrier and Luis Ayala are not primary set-up men, the Twins learned that with Guerrier last year, and Crain was wildly inconsistent, even though he has a lot of talent. He has never been quite the same pitcher after coming back from injuries, and Rincon's HGH-injected FB was also a huge loss. A lot of pressure will also fall onto Mijares and Breslow, so, at the moment, our pen looks much better than theirs.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
The Royals moved Horacio Ramirez to the pen and recalled Brian Bannister to take his spot in the rotation. That didn't take long.

Also, Philip Humber cleared waivers and was sent outright to AAA Rochester.

Wow, no one wanted to take a chance on this kid? So is he not as good as was thought, or is he a problem child?

Guess Humber and Mulvey weren't as good as they were cracked up to be...

The Royals had to do something about Ponson/Ramirez. The weren't going to wait half a season like the Twins did with Livan Hernandez.

Surprised that many teams skipped over him, though. He was once pretty highly touted. Pedro Martinez is still looking for a job, too. Maybe the Padres or Angels will sign him.

MacDougal will end up with the Twins, seems like destiny.