2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
Any arguement about Lincecum and Greinke being the best pitchers in their respective league's?

Johan Santana was the best pitcher in the the game last year and still is as of today.

His bullpen also blew another win for him for him today. J.J. Penis with the honors this time.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 11:06 PM)
How about a CY Young for one of them?

Both are great possiblities when you consider the stuff each one possesses, hell, lincecum already has one to his name. Point is though no one has a clue at this point in the season, simply way too early. If grienke did what he just did to start at some point in the middle of the season it would be a blip on the radar compared to the attention it got, it is a shame, but that's how it is.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 11:17 PM)
Both are great possiblities when you consider the stuff each one possesses, hell, lincecum already has one to his name. Point is though no one has a clue at this point in the season, simply way too early. If grienke did what he just did to start at some point in the middle of the season it would be a blip on the radar compared to the attention it got, it is a shame, but that's how it is.

Well, it's not like players from the Royals have gotten ANY attention since George Brett retired, so it's probably a good thing for baseball and the city.

The only thing KC was famous for over that time span was trading all their best players (Beltran, Damon, Dye) away and making even first round draft picks than the White Sox...especially since Ewing Kauffman died.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Just stay away from all things ESPN when it comes to baseball. MLB Network is your friend.

I know it is, I want to be their friend as well. But I have Dish, Dish doesn't have MLB Network. I'm stuck w/ ESPN for my baseball analysis. Hence the lack of BBTN, I only caught that piece because The Ultimate Fighter was on commercial.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
I know it is, I want to be their friend as well. But I have Dish, Dish doesn't have MLB Network. I'm stuck w/ ESPN for my baseball analysis. Hence the lack of BBTN, I only caught that piece because The Ultimate Fighter was on commercial.

I feel for you. The MLB Network is the best thing (in a baseball sense) to come along in a while.

Joe Mauer comes off the DL for tonight's game with the Royals

===

speaking of Nolan Ryan, from Baseball-Reference's Bullpen Wiki's Today in Baseball History today (May 1)

1991-Nolan Ryan of the Texas Rangers pitched his seventh no-hitter of his major league career. The 44-year-old Ryan, who defeats the Toronto Blue Jays, 3 - 0, became the oldest pitcher to hurl a no-hit game. His masterpiece included 16 strikeouts and only two walks. It is also the 209th time he has struck out 10 or more in a game, and the 26th time putting 15 or more down on strikes

Edited by Benchwarmerjim

Yes, the Royals lineup is not intimidating at all (yes I realize Bartolo will probalby give up 10-12 runs tonight), but they are pretty good.

I still like the Twins to kick ass in the summer as they always do.

Verlander had 11 K's yesterday. If some of their pitching holds up to go along with their offense, they're going to be tough to beat. Although hell, every team seems tough to beat these days when our offense goes 5 or 6 innings with only a couple hits.

QUOTE (JustWin @ May 4, 2009 -> 06:04 AM)
Verlander had 11 K's yesterday. If some of their pitching holds up to go along with their offense, they're going to be tough to beat. Although hell, every team seems tough to beat these days when our offense goes 5 or 6 innings with only a couple hits.

I think he's found his form again and will do great this season, cy young stuff. But after him is there anyone else in that rotation that scares you? Not me. I think they're doomed to mediocrity. Leyland is so overrated.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 4, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
I think he's found his form again and will do great this season, cy young stuff. But after him is there anyone else in that rotation that scares you? Not me. I think they're doomed to mediocrity. Leyland is so overrated.

Galarraga's a quality starter. If Bonderman returns and can be in the 4.5 ERA range, then the Tigers have a great chance to win this division.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
Galarraga's a quality starter. If Bonderman returns and can be in the 4.5 ERA range, then the Tigers have a great chance to win this division.

At this point, I don't see a team in the ALC that doesn't have at least a pretty good shot at winning it.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)

pitching to their potential, i still see the sox as having a better 1-5 than the tigers, or anyone else in the division. That is, pitching to their potential. If Contreras is really done, as the numbers seem to suggest for the last two years, then no.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 4, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
pitching to their potential, i still see the sox as having a better 1-5 than the tigers, or anyone else in the division. That is, pitching to their potential. If Contreras is really done, as the numbers seem to suggest for the last two years, then no.

Pitching to their potential is probably not a good phrase to use, as the Tigers have a starting rotation loaded with potential. Verlander, Galarraga, Jackson is looking like a pretty good 1-2-3 for them, and then you have the big time arms in Bonderman/Porcello. Contreras' potential this year, even if he turns it around, is being around a 4.50 ERA pitcher. He just doesn't have the 93-96 mph velocity he used to have.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
Pitching to their potential is probably not a good phrase to use, as the Tigers have a starting rotation loaded with potential. Verlander, Galarraga, Jackson is looking like a pretty good 1-2-3 for them, and then you have the big time arms in Bonderman/Porcello. Contreras' potential this year, even if he turns it around, is being around a 4.50 ERA pitcher. He just doesn't have the 93-96 mph velocity he used to have.

If Edwin Jackson maintains that control, he is going to be damn good, even if his K/9 never catches up to what it should be.

I also think, atleast 1-4, the Sox rotation is better than the Tigers right now. The problem is the lineup. I'm not a huge fan of the Tigers lineup, but the Sox lineup is just awful right now, and if these injuries don't stop, it's going to be bad for a while. I think the Sox lineup, when healthy, is probably the best in the division. The problem is that it hasn't been healthy, and, as has been mentioned on here before, there is absolutely 0 depth within the system. I'm not counting on anyone in AAA to help the lineup this season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 4, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
I also think, atleast 1-4, the Sox rotation is better than the Tigers right now. The problem is the lineup. I'm not a huge fan of the Tigers lineup, but the Sox lineup is just awful right now, and if these injuries don't stop, it's going to be bad for a while. I think the Sox lineup, when healthy, is probably the best in the division. The problem is that it hasn't been healthy, and, as has been mentioned on here before, there is absolutely 0 depth within the system. I'm not counting on anyone in AAA to help the lineup this season.

These injuries, aside from Thome, are so freaky though...it's people getting plunked, or young guys randomly pulling a muscle, not the sort of things you'd expect to be recurring, long-term things. People get hurt in spurts sometime, it's freaky, we're in one now.