2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody surprised KC is THIS BAD again?

Man. You know, this was a proud franchise right out of the chute. Once they got an expansion franchise, KC never stunk.

Til Ewing Kauffman died.

Since then ... geezus. s*** baseball!!!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 7, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
Anybody surprised KC is THIS BAD again?

Man. You know, this was a proud franchise right out of the chute. Once they got an expansion franchise, KC never stunk.

Til Ewing Kauffman died.

Since then ... geezus. s*** baseball!!!!

Surprised? No. We're use to it. The good thing, if you want to call it that, is that we (as a fanbase) were told we would contend for the division this year. At this point, that is obviously not happening. Our GM is only in his 4th season, and I believe vast changes are coming for this team, personnel wise...

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
Why isn't Kila Ka'aihue playing first base for you guys, but Mike Jacobs is? That makes no sense...

Man, I'd love to get Kila Ka'aihue as our future DH.

Jacobs has only started 10 games at 1B this year, and 8 of them were in April. Butler is our 1B. As for Kila, I hope we move Jacobs soon and give him a shot...

Surprised? No. We're use to it. The good thing, if you want to call it that, is that we (as a fanbase) were told we would contend for the division this year. At this point, that is obviously not happening. Our GM is only in his 4th season, and I believe vast changes are coming for this team, personnel wise...

Hard to believe Moore has been there four seasons.

I feel for the Royals. They always were pure class with Brett and all those great players. Then a whole generation has known seen the Royals as bottom feeders.

Do you go to a lot of games? You must be a big baseball fan if you are on the Sox board.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 02:22 AM)
So did Dye in his younger years.

Jacobs can get his obp up if he plays more.

Just so you are aware, Mike Jacobs is 28. By the age of 28, Jermaine Dye had hit 110 homers and had put up a career line of .285/ .341/.481/.823. He also played a very good RF with a cannon for an arm.

Mike Jacobs is a 1Bman, who can not hit left handed pitching, and has a career OPS of .809 (.792 outside of the first 30 he played with the Mets). He also strikes out much more frequently than Jermaine Dye. If anything, Jacobs is a glorified platoon player.

The comparison is, quite frankly, absurd.

BR has him compared most favorably to Josh Phelps. I would say that it's a very valid comparison, with Jacobs having more value simply because he hits from the left side and thus, sees more favorable matchups. He'll have a career for a while in the majors, but more in the Daryle Ward role and less in the Tino Martinez or Jim Thome role.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
Anyone else see where CLE beat KC 4-3 in the 10th on a hit off a bird? Seagull saves the day for CLE. Pretty bizarre.

Haha thanks for pointing that out. I didn't see that until you mentioned it. Brought back memories of Johnson's KO of that bird. What about Ozuna chasing the squirrel in LF!!!

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Haha thanks for pointing that out. I didn't see that until you mentioned it. Brought back memories of Johnson's KO of that bird. What about Ozuna chasing the squirrel in LF!!!

Pedro Cerrano running out of the baseline to help a bird he hit with a ball....

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 06:32 AM)
Mike Jacobs is a 1Bman, who can not hit left handed pitching, and has a career OPS of .809 (.792 outside of the first 30 he played with the Mets). He also strikes out much more frequently than Jermaine Dye. If anything, Jacobs is a glorified platoon player.

The comparison is, quite frankly, absurd.

I was going to compare him to Thome with the Ks and lack of hitting off of a lefty, but Thome walks more.

Dye's batting eye has been erratic over the years. So, I used him as a comparison; albeit an admittedly shaky one.

Jacobs may be 28, but he can be a solid DH/1B for a lower level team (Pit, Was, KC, Cle, Oak, SD), hit 30-40 homers with 85-90 rbis and bat .250-.260.

He's hitting .235 with 10 HR and 26 RBI this year.

That's better than what the Sox are getting from at least 4 positions.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:35 PM)
Hard to believe Moore has been there four seasons.

I feel for the Royals. They always were pure class with Brett and all those great players. Then a whole generation has known seen the Royals as bottom feeders.

Do you go to a lot of games? You must be a big baseball fan if you are on the Sox board.

I don't make it to as many games I'd like, I'm about 200 miles west of KC. And yes, I love baseball, except the Yankees.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
He also has low average, low OBP, and a ton of K's written all over him...

Exactly. I like him, but the man cannot play defense or hit lefties to save his life.

Luke Hochevar just threw 79 pitches for a complete game against the Reds.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
He's hitting .235 with 10 HR and 26 RBI this year.

That's better than what the Sox are getting from at least 4 positions.

2B, SS, 3B, CF

If Mike Jacobs can play those, he can play on my team. I like my 1Bman putting up OPS's better than .758 though.

Edited by witesoxfan

Look out for Joe Mauer gentelmen. He's only played alittle over a month, and has already tied his career high in homers. IMO.. this will be his career year which is hard to fathom because of his 06 numbers. He is just that good.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 01:04 AM)
Look out for Joe Mauer gentelmen. He's only played alittle over a month, and has already tied his career high in homers. IMO.. this will be his career year which is hard to fathom because of his 06 numbers. He is just that good.

He's a joy to watch. I just hope he's clean. The power surge has come outta nowhere.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 13, 2009 -> 02:23 AM)
He's a joy to watch. I just hope he's clean. The power surge has come outta nowhere.

Joe Mauer is clean. I'd bet my reputation, heart, and soul on that. He's just that good of a hitter. Other than Juan Rincon, I honestly can't think of another Twins player that has been busted for PED abuse. I'm sure I'm wrong, so bust me right now.

Mauer won't stick at catcher his entire career (I hope not), because some franchise (hopefully Minnesota, probably someone else) would like to prolong his career somewhere. I still think Joe Mauer has a very, very long career waiting for him at 3B. If so, I don't think it's entirely unreasonably that Joe Mauer could reach 3000 hits, and perhaps even go to 3500 hits. I have not watched baseball very closely until about the past 3 years, but I have never seen a better hitter, other than maybe Pujols (who walks to much to get to 3500, and perhaps 3000 period). Mauer is an absolute monster.

If the proposal came up, to trade all of the Sox minor leagues for Joe Mauer, yes, I would trade all of it for Joe Mauer.

Edited by witesoxfan