2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big news in the AL Central, Joel Zumaya once again hurt after last nights appearance vs the Yankees

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/...6050_recap.html

Zumaya (3-3) relieved to start the seventh, gave up a leadoff single to Derek Jeter and a long double to Damon that glanced off the glove of Clete Thomas and ricocheted against the wall above the right-field scoreboard.

Rather than issue an intentional walk that would load the bases for Alex Rodriguez , Zumaya pitched to Teixeira and fell behind in the count 3-1. Teixeira lined the next pitch into the second deck in right field for his 22nd homer, just his second since June 12, and his third hit of the night.

''Disgusted, upset, don't know what to think right now,'' Zumaya said. ''Obviously my arm's not right.''

He said he felt a ''slight little pop'' in his pitching shoulder on his fourth-to-last pitch, fouled off by Nick Swisher . Swisher then walked, and Melky Cabrera grounded out.

''They just did X-rays,'' Zumaya said. ''I'm leaving for Detroit tomorrow, and I'm going to get an MRI. I don't even know how I threw the last three pitches. I just tried to throw them down the middle. I was in some serious pain. I couldn't even lift my arm.''

It's not like he was doing good this year. He had no control and would be forced to throw his straight fastball down the middle in hitters counts.

Until he finds some control, he'll never be anything more than an over hyped SU man.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
It's not like he was doing good this year. He had no control and would be forced to throw his straight fastball down the middle in hitters counts.

Until he finds some control, he'll never be anything more than an over hyped SU man.

He's lost the Tigers a lot of games. Kind of sucks that he won't be there to blow games anymore.

He's also been booed off the stage in nearly 50% of his Guitar Hero games.

well, Gruds was signed to a minor league deal, so he may not even make it to the big leagues. (slim chance on that I would say, unless an injury comes up)

I just roll my eyes at the whole deal because its another typical Twins signing. aged/washed up veteran signed cheap to plug a hole instead of going out, spending some capital (money or prospects) and getting someone who can play second base (or third base, or a relief pitcher) for an extended time

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)
He's a lot like JP Howell. I look for him to eventually get cut and make it on another squad as a reliever.

Does he still have any of the stuff he had with us or has he legit lost stuff? The curve ball and the low 90's fastball?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
Does he still have any of the stuff he had with us or has he legit lost stuff? The curve ball and the low 90's fastball?

A curve and low 90's to upper 80's fastball isn't that good when you don't have great command. Plus his change-up never ended up being good enough to allow him to effectively get righties out. Thats why I think he'll make a good reliever in time. Key word being, in time.