2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
I was just reading the box score of the Twins/Indians game, and I noticed this:

Alexei has been dreadfully inconsistent(key word dreadful), but it doesnt seem like KW downgraded the position over the offseason. He just did not upgrade it.

We've gotten about the same amount of offense out of the middle infield for a lot less money, FWIW, and at the same time got some player development done hopefully on both of the guys.

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
The Royals just sent Alex Gordon down to AAA. So, they could bring Kyle Farnsworth off the DL. Never thought I'd have to seriously type these words. Dayton Moore is an idiot.
Maybe he'll pull a BA and ask to be traded and we'll get him and move Beckham/Alexei to 2B?

QUOTE (almagest @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Maybe he'll pull a BA and ask to be traded and we'll get him and move Beckham/Alexei to 2B?

I wish. :lol: I really do hope they sour on him. Never woulda thought Alex Gordon would be not hitting, yet alone going back to the minors. Kid was a freak. If the Royals are trading him in the offseason, I hope KW jumps all over it. He might not pan out (never thought I'd say that either about him) but it's definitely worth the risk. Kid has it all not to mention a glove.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
Kid has it all not to mention a glove.

If he has it all, why is he hitting .198 since coming off the DL, why is his career OPS .741, why is his career batting average .248?

I understand why people here would love to gamble on him, but really, the Royals are sending him down for a reason. He's not hitting right now at all, and his numbers so far in his career haven't been where they're supposed to be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
If he has it all, why is he hitting .198 since coming off the DL, why is his career OPS .741, why is his career batting average .248?

First of all I meant potential. And I already said he wasn't hitting/might not pan out, hasn't been since he came in after being rushed from AA. I watched the kid for a long time. He has all the tools to succeed and put it together. It doesn't mean he will. Hell BA had the tools too, but just didn't put it together. We will probably have a hole at 3B next year depending on what the sox brass does/likes with Beckham. Why not fill that with someone who has incredible potential? (10X bigger than BAs actually) and who has actually proved more in the bigs putting up a .740+ OPS? Hell just last year the kid put up a .260/.351/.432/783 line. He's hit the injury bug this year.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
First of all I meant potential. And I already said he wasn't hitting/might not pan out, hasn't been since he came in after being rushed from AA. I watched the kid for a long time. He has all the tools to succeed and put it together. It doesn't mean he will. Hell BA had the tools too, but just didn't put it together. We will probably have a hole at 3B next year depending on what the sox brass does/likes with Beckham. Why not fill that with someone who has incredible potential? (10X bigger than BAs actually) and who has actually proved more in the bigs putting up a .740+ OPS?

I'd have no problem with the gamble...I just want to have someone say "He's struggling because he's doing this" if you're going to gamble that your team can fix him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
I was just reading the box score of the Twins/Indians game, and I noticed this:

Alexei has been dreadfully inconsistent(key word dreadful), but it doesnt seem like KW downgraded the position over the offseason. He just did not upgrade it.

He definitely has not.

Orlando Cabrera has been utter crap on defense.

His UZR's one of the worst among all SS.

I haven't looked what O Cab's numbers are since he has joined the Twins, but he hasn't seemed like a defensive liability out there. Not Gold Glove worthy, but not horrible.

But what has killed the Twins is the utter lack of starting pitching. Liriano is probably going on the DL. Nick Blackburn regressed to the mean (he's pretty much done a U-turn since the ASB). Baker has been hit and miss. The last 3 games, the starters have gone 4, 2.1, and 2 innings. yuck. Its a shame because Joe Mauer's bat is super hot ('video game hot' I call it) in the month of August.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 06:03 PM)
I haven't looked what O Cab's numbers are since he has joined the Twins, but he hasn't seemed like a defensive liability out there. Not Gold Glove worthy, but not horrible.

But what has killed the Twins is the utter lack of starting pitching. Liriano is probably going on the DL. Nick Blackburn regressed to the mean (he's pretty much done a U-turn since the ASB). Baker has been hit and miss. The last 3 games, the starters have gone 4, 2.1, and 2 innings. yuck. Its a shame because Joe Mauer's bat is super hot ('video game hot' I call it) in the month of August.

he has been video game hot pretty much since he got off the DL. He is my saving grace for my fantasy league

The Royals aren't close to giving up on Gordon yet...not by a longshot.

Next, I really thought yesterday was a season-changer, but we say that nearly everyday. Our 1 GB morphed quickly to 3 GB in 30 minutes. Seattle made TWO very uncustomary errors (by the SS and then allowing a runner to score from 3B when the runner was picked off at first for the second insurance run...)

But looks like (KNOCK ON WOOD) the M's might be able to hold them off today. Kudos to Tigers' fans, I think they have a sellout against the M's tonight again.

Lowe and White were very very good against us...but Lowe got rocked...that young rookie catcher hit a bomb (Avila) that sparked things, but the errors killed them.

I guess we came back once against Aardsma, so we're even with the Tigers in that category. When you consider that the Tigers are 39-19 at home, it's pretty amazing we're still within hailing distance...and with how well Jackson, Verlander and Porcello have pitched this year.

Key inning now, bottom of the 8th...the inning everything fell apart for Sox/M's fans yesterday, 4 runs scored.

Edited by caulfield12

Boo. Nathan blows the save in the 9th, but Soria blows it in the 10th and the Twins win 5-4. However, seeing that Nathan needed almost 55 pitches to get through those last 2 innings, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he won't be available tomorrow.

So, I was at the A’s-Tigers game today. Fantastic seats, right behind home plate. The Coliseum is an interesting structure, big block of concreate on the outside, very bare bones for the most part, but the actual playing field is monstrous and quite cool. The game was fantastic as Tomko managed to shut everyone but M-Cab down, and Porcello and a couple of the Tigers pitchers got their socks rocked off by what was essentially, the Sacramento River Cats. Also nice to see the A’s help the White Sox out.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)
So, I was at the A’s-Tigers game today. Fantastic seats, right behind home plate. The Coliseum is an interesting structure, big block of concreate on the outside, very bare bones for the most part, but the actual playing field is monstrous and quite cool. The game was fantastic as Tomko managed to shut everyone but M-Cab down, and Porcello and a couple of the Tigers pitchers got their socks rocked off by what was essentially, the Sacramento River Cats. Also nice to see the A’s help the White Sox out.

Doesn't matter when we're losing 2/3 at home to the Orioles. We've been 2-4 games out of first for almost a month now. It's looking more and more like the Tigers will win this thing by default.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
The insult to injury is watching the Tigers and Twins beat the bullpens (Seattle and Baltimore) that shut the White Sox out quite recently

Well to be fair their strategy after the 6th inning isn't see how far I can jack this.