Konerko wouldn't block trade to help Sox

southsider2k5

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox24.article

South Sider to the end?

WHITE SOX | Konerko likely wouldn't stand in way of trade if it helps team

February 24, 2009

BY JOE COWLEY [email protected]

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- It's not a topic Paul Konerko dwells on -- maybe because, in the back of his mind, he doesn't like how the end game could play out.

After earning 10-and-5 status last year -- 10 major-league seasons and at least five with the same club -- Konerko knows that if push comes to shove with the White Sox come July, he can at least push back. The 10-and-5 status grants a player the right to veto any trade.

Paul Konerko hit .240 last season but was hampered by a hand injury for most of the first half. After he returned to health, the White Sox' captain batted .333 in August and hit nine of his 22 homers in September.

Slezak: Crede makes a little noise Ozzie: Let the games begin Inside the Sox: Updates from our blog

But Konerko said Monday that if the 2009 edition put together by general manager Ken Williams falls on hard times, he would be open to a trade.

''You never know because the answer could be you help them by leaving,'' Konerko said. ''I would never be opposed to that. It doesn't have to be a breakup that's antagonistic. It doesn't have to be a thing where heads are butted.''

The 33-year-old captain and first baseman has seen it all since arriving on the South Side before the 1999 season. And while he has made it a practice to stay out of front-office business, it doesn't take a genius to glance around the clubhouse and see the writing on the wall.

Jim Thome -- free agent after the '09 season. Jermaine Dye -- free agent after the '09 season. Jose Contreras -- free agent after the '09 season. And even with Williams infusing some youth into the minor leagues and the big-league club this winter, the window for the veteran core of the team isn't far from closed.

Dye spent the offseason hearing his name mentioned in rumor after rumor. The veteran outfielder said in January he knows if the Sox are struggling come July, he'll be the first deck chair thrown off the Titanic.

''Definitely [i'm first to go], and that's with any team,'' Dye said. ''I understand that, and if I get called in with Kenny and have that talk, that's what I do.''

But while Konerko is seemingly protected from that, he knows there is a scenario in which he could be asked by the club to waive his right and go elsewhere.

''My thought is that if you earn a right like that -- and usually because it feels like you have to go through hell to get it -- at the same time, the White Sox are like family to me,'' Konerko said. ''I've always said that I want to do what's best for the organization because they've done so much for me.

''I'm here for this organization -- whether I play for another team or whatever, it won't matter. I'll always be a member of the White Sox. If it ever got to a point like that where it's better for me, better for the team -- I would also look at the team I'm going to because I feel like you do go through hell to get that right. Only a small percentage of players get that right and I've got it, but again, we all hear that if we're not playing well this year, they're going to do something.

''Our goal is to make sure that doesn't happen. If we do well and we keep doing well, then you hope that conversation can stop.''

That's what Konerko, along with his fellow veteran players, are counting on. Playing well, competing and keeping the makeup of the club together into October. After that, all bets are off.

''I don't blame him for wanting to leave if someone wants to trade you, but ... it means that someone else wants you,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said when told of Konerko's comments. ''That's good news for the player.

''But I think by Paul saying that, he is thinking professionally. He is thinking about how well this organization has treated him. If we do trade him, that means we're not doing what we thought we would do. That's not a good thing for us. That means we're not contending. It's nice of him to think about the organization. I hope they all know that we're not going to trade anyone unless we have to.''

Konerko's play can go a long way in helping keep things intact. After hitting .259 in a disappointing 2007 effort, Konerko hit just .240 last year. But his '08 season should get an asterisk: Konerko was battling a hand injury most of the first half, limiting him to a .217 average. As the hand got healthy, he hit .333 in August and then hit nine of his 22 homers in September.

However, even if the Sox repeat as division champs and make a run deep into the fall, Konerko knows that nothing is promised into 2010.

''It seems that, 'We're going to break this team up and start new,' was out there like three years ago,'' Konerko said. ''With the guys we have here now, we're going to give it everything we've got. But you have to understand as a player in this game today, it can work out this year and they could still blow everything up in the offseason. That's how it is with the current economics of baseball. You're not even guaranteed that if you win they would keep everything together, as opposed to if you don't do well you know it will be changed.

''As a player, you can't really look at big-picture stuff. That's not really productive for a player to be sitting around and say, 'Geez, I wonder if we're not in this in July or more than five games within the lead, are they going to blow this up?' What is that really going to do for me today? Is that really going to help me? That's really for the front office to handle.''

32-AND-OVER CLUB

Jim Thome 38

Jose Contreras 37

Octavio Dotel 35

Jermaine Dye 35

Paul Konerko 33

Scott Linebrink 32

Certainly, you'd have to believe it would be easier to trade Dye and then Konerko over Thome...but hopefully we'll just keep things intact one more season.

Konerko's right, seemingly we've been saying that every year, year after year. The only major offensive changeover was losing Magglio, C-Lee (anyone want his contract how, $68 million for four years), Thomas (essentially) and Valentin...

Then we'll have the changeover with Dye/Thome/Konerko, too. Kind of the end of an era of White Sox baseball, but an exciting time too.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
Unless the Yankees want those guys, or the White Sox are willing to eat a large chunk of their contracts, Dye, Konerko and/or Thome will be White Sox until their contracts expire.

teams will do some strange things at the deadline, considering any player can be injured at any time it's not out of the realm of possibility that someone would trade for these guys (if they have a strong first half showing)

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
teams will do some strange things at the deadline, considering any player can be injured at any time it's not out of the realm of possibility that someone would trade for these guys (if they have a strong first half showing)

And if the Sox REALLY want to get younger and get some good young talent in return, they might have to eat some of the salary (which I know the Sox don't usually do, but for short contract lives, they might consider it).

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)
really? do we that quickly forget all he's done for us over the years?

God no.

Just not going to pretend anyone would want him right now. He'll be a 1 year, $12 million contract at the end of next season. If someone offers something valuable for him, I'd consider it.

And there's another bit of thought to that statement....I'd really like to see a ton of production from Konerko this year. Because that would, you know, win a ton of ballgames.

I would rather see this organization "get younger" by developing its own talent from the minors and not keep trading away talent. You build from within. Konerko, Dye and Thome, et al are veterans who can help teach and mentor young players. Let's not be so quick to want to trade them just because they make some money or are up for contract talks. AJP and Konerko and Buerhle and Dye and Thome are team leaders and you need that expereince to continue as a winning ball club. Plus whoever said 33 is old?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
I would rather see this organization "get younger" by developing its own talent from the minors and not keep trading away talent. You build from within. Konerko, Dye and Thome, et al are veterans who can help teach and mentor young players. Let's not be so quick to want to trade them just because they make some money or are up for contract talks. AJP and Konerko and Buerhle and Dye and Thome are team leaders and you need that expereince to continue as a winning ball club. Plus whoever said 33 is old?

23 year olds...

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
Jermaine Dye will only cost a team ~$5M at the deadline, if the Sox are out of it, Dye is having a good year and there's a team out there in need of a right handed power bat (preferably as a DH) I'm sure they'd be willing to take a flier on Jermaine.

It would be $5 million + $1 million buyout. Considering Abreu could only get $5 million for a full season, I really doubt teams would be willing to pay Dye that for half a season or less, unless its the Yankees. Even Boston is cutting back. I read John Henry has lost $60 % of his net worth the past several months.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
It would be $5 million + $1 million buyout. Considering Abreu could only get $5 million for a full season, I really doubt teams would be willing to pay Dye that for half a season or less, unless its the Yankees. Even Boston is cutting back. I read John Henry has lost $60 % of his net worth the past several months.

It would be $4M + $1M buyout. Hence the $5M