3 Red Sox, Rockies, Royals, Twins, Yankees, Pirates, Cardinals, Blue Jays

2 Diamondbacks, Cubs, Reds, Angels, Dodgers

1 Tigers, Astros, Padres, Nationals

BY ORIGINAL ORGANIZATION

8 Braves

7 White Sox

5 Marlins, Brewers, Phillies, Mariners, Rays

4 Mets, Yankees, Giants, Rangers

3 Diamondbacks, Orioles, Red Sox, Rockies, Tigers, Dodgers, Twins, Cardinals, Blue Jays

2 Cubs, Reds, Indians, Royals, Angels, Athletics, Pirates

1 Astros, Padres, Nationals

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...009/267705.html

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
So did Cortes.

I think we're really gonna regret trading Cunningham.

He's pretty much an Aaron Rowand clone, not the leader though — at least I would guess. Sure you would love to an Rowand, but I don't think Cunningham will be such a loss. If Cortes figures it out, that to me is the biggest loss, especially since McDougal sucked so much.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Personally, I think Carter will be the the biggest loss especially with the power we look to lose in the next few years.

The difference is...we gave up Cunningham and got Richar. We gave up Carter...and...um...you're worried about power?

tA8QJggY.jpg

That power should be replaced by Fields, Viciedo, Flowers and Allen...not to mention "plus" power up the middle of the diamond with Beckham and Ramirez. Then a couple of nice athletes in Shelby and Danks.

If there's any huge long-term concern, it's defensively, and the LH power (which right now is only Allen). However, if the economic troubles continue, it's not difficult to imagine not having to spend very much to acquire it. The days of a Thome-like contract for a DH are long gone now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
That power should be replaced by Fields, Viciedo, Flowers and Allen...not to mention "plus" power up the middle of the diamond with Beckham and Ramirez.

How is it you've forgotten the awesome power we received in exchange for Carter?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
That power should be replaced by Fields, Viciedo, Flowers and Allen...not to mention "plus" power up the middle of the diamond with Beckham and Ramirez. Then a couple of nice athletes in Shelby and Danks.

If there's any huge long-term concern, it's defensively, and the LH power (which right now is only Allen). However, if the economic troubles continue, it's not difficult to imagine not having to spend very much to acquire it. The days of a Thome-like contract for a DH are long gone now.

If everything works out well we will absolutely replace that power AND we will add speed with Beckham, Shelby and Danks. Beckham has above average speed and can probably project to stealing 15-20 a year but if Shelby can find a position and some plate discipline he has a fantastic speed and power combo, as does Danks but he too needs a little plate discipline.

However, it seems that what we would be missing is the high OBP that we get from guys like Thome, Konerko, and Dye.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
How is it you've forgotten the awesome power we received in exchange for Carter?

In defense of sircaffey, Carter did hit 44 hr last season which led the minors at all levels, and he does have as good of power potential of probably anyone in the minors.

I'm not saying that I'd rather have him over TCQ but he does have a point. Carter also doesn't play a premium position and when he was in our system I seem to recall him having below average defense.

Edited by bighurt4life

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
The difference is...we gave up Cunningham and got Richar. We gave up Carter...and...um...you're worried about power?

tA8QJggY.jpg

I didn't say I'm not satisfied with the results of the trade. Just that of the players the Sox lost, Carter will be the one that we'll miss the most. Or in other words, he's going to be the best player we've given up.

Edited by sircaffey

Disagree. I think if Cortes becomes a 1-2-3 level starter (doubtful, some said the same thing when we gave up Gio, twice), that's a much more valuable commodity than a LF/DH/1B.

We already potentially have four of those on our team in Viciedo, Flowers, Brandon Allen and Josh Fields.

If Faustino De Los Santos hadn't gotten hurt, we might be tied for the most on the BA list with on the ChiSox or other teams...and Ryan Sweeney might turn out to a decent little ballplayer as well, although he wasn't the best fit for USCF.

When Carter or Allen start producing like Pujols or Howard at the big league level, that's when we can rue giving away a certain player.

Personally, I'd take the bet that we get better overall production from the combination of Flowers and Viciedo than the numbers Chris Carter puts up over his career.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
In defense of sircaffey, Carter did hit 44 hr last season which led the minors at all levels...

Close... but it was actually 39 and 2nd in MILB.

Player - Home Runs

1 D. McPherson 42

2 Carter STO 39

3 Stanton GBO 39

4 Cruz OKL 37

5 Ka'aihue OMA 37

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 10:07 PM)
Close... but it was actually 39 and 2nd in MILB.

Player - Home Runs

1 D. McPherson 42

2 Carter STO 39

3 Stanton GBO 39

4 Cruz OKL 37

5 Ka'aihue OMA 37

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
Didnt Carter smack 5 in the playoffs though which would indeed give him 44.

BAM!

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
Of all the players we gave up, Carter may be the best in terms of talent. However, in terms of value to the Sox, it's between Cortes and Cunningham.

If Cunningham was as good or better than Rowand or Chris B. Young, you'd have a good point. The problem is that we need a natural defensive CFer and a leadoff hitter.

I think Jordan Danks might end up being a better fit for that position, or even Brian Anderson still, than Aaron Cunningham. The problem with Brian is that he will never, ever be a leadoff hitter, so he'd have to be the #8 or #9 guy.

It will also be interesting to see who has the better career in the majors, Ryan Sweeney or Aaron Cunningham.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
If Cunningham was as good or better than Rowand or Chris B. Young, you'd have a good point. The problem is that we need a natural defensive CFer and a leadoff hitter.

I think Jordan Danks might end up being a better fit for that position, or even Brian Anderson still, than Aaron Cunningham. The problem with Brian is that he will never, ever be a leadoff hitter, so he'd have to be the #8 or #9 guy.

It will also be interesting to see who has the better career in the majors, Ryan Sweeney or Aaron Cunningham.

If Brian ever reaches his potential he can be a #6 or #7 guy. I've always felt he could be kind of like a Torii Hunter. The chances of that happening are probably pretty small though, because if he doesn't win the job this ST and perform right away, then he'll probably never get another extended shot again. God I hope Brian does well. Go Brian. I'm sick of having to defend that guy. I just want him to hit .270 over the course of a 500+ AB season, because if he does that, there are going to be 20+ HR that go along with it.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
I didn't say I'm not satisfied with the results of the trade. Just that of the players the Sox lost, Carter will be the one that we'll miss the most. Or in other words, he's going to be the best player we've given up.

I dont know how you can miss him the most then? If you give someone a 10 dollar bill for a hundred dollar bill, do you still miss the 10?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
I dont know how you can miss him the most then? If you give someone a 10 dollar bill for a hundred dollar bill, do you still miss the 10?

Just because you make a good trade doesn't mean you won't miss the players you give up. As fans, we'll never know if the Sox had to give up Carter. I'll most likely always be happy with the trade, but that doesn't mean part of me won't wonder what if we still had Carter. That, and I don't believe Cortes, Gio, or Cunningham will be close to the impact player Carter will be. Using your rather simplistic example, I would miss the 10 if I could have given up a 1.