UN anti-blasphemy measure

StrangeSox

What scares me about this is if muslim countries will use this measure as an excuse to persecute non-muslims, such as how Iran is trying to persecute people for apostacy with capital punishment. That scares the hell out of me because I've committed apostacy myself when I renounced my Catholic faith when I realized I was an agnostic leaning closer and closer to atheism. Honestly, all forms of religion is for the weak-minded, especially those under the umbrella of Islam.

So now what's gonna happen with these anti-blasphemy laws? Are American women gonna get imprisoned for refusing to wear the hijab in Saudi Arabia? Are barbaric honor killings going to become more prevalent and accepted? Will non-muslims be jailed in muslim countries for not being muslim? Will agnostics/atheists traveling in Muslim countries be imprisoned for making anti-religion comments? I really worry about human rights violations more than ever now, and people have a right to be able to trash religion, even doing such things as drawing Prophet Muhammad caricatures.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
This is not a law, it's a resolution. Big difference.

Dont worry, you can continue your racism against the Muslim world without punishment.

Dude, what are you talking about??? Racism against Muslims? You are clearly ignorant.

Muslim is not a race, it's a religion. There's muslims of all races: Arab, black, white, asian.

Arab is a race, and I'm not racist against arabs. Arabs partake in many religions other than Islam. Just because someone's arab doesn't mean they're muslim. Get that through your head.

I'm not racist against Arabs, I'm not racist against anyone for their skin color whatsoever.

It's religion I have a problem with, it's the Muslim religion I have a problem with, and it's just coincidental that most Muslims happen to be Arab. I dont care what race Muslims are, it's Islam that I'm vehemently opposed to.

I'm also vehemently opposed to all forms of religions, I despise Catholicism, Christianity, Judism, Protestantism, Baptists, etc etc.

I feel that the way how nuns wear the habits is just as oppressive as how Muslim women wear the hijab. Also, the way how nuns and priests in the Christian faith waste their lives in the name of a religion is just so pathetic.

But back to my main point: I'm not racist against Arabs, they come in all shapes and forms, they're just as diverse as anybody else, and no one should lump them all together. I am against how oppressive the Islamic religion is, and here's my reasons:

*Islam oppresses women, it's too male-dominated.

*Muslim women are oppressed when they wear the hijab, whether they realize they're oppressed or not.

*arranged marriages in Islam also makes it so that Muslim women has no say in who they marry.

*honor killings, it's found to be acceptable in heavily fundamentalist islamic areas.

*Muslim women killed in Muslim countries by stoning or public executions for having children out of wedlock.

*I'm just as opposed to how muslims have to pray numerous times of the day and practice Ramadan as I am opposed to how Christians observe Lent and Ash Wednesday.

So don't go calling me racist, because I'm not and it just makes you look ignorant. It's one thing to be liberal, and I consider myself to be liberal as well, but I consider myself to be even more liberal because I'm against the conservative concept of all forms of religion, especially oppressive ones like those under Islam.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
Dude, what are you talking about??? Racism against Muslims? You are clearly ignorant.

Muslim is not a race, it's a religion. There's muslims of all races: Arab, black, white, asian.

Arab is a race, and I'm not racist against arabs. Arabs partake in many religions other than Islam. Just because someone's arab doesn't mean they're muslim. Get that through your head.

I'm not racist against Arabs, I'm not racist against anyone for their skin color whatsoever.

It's religion I have a problem with, it's the Muslim religion I have a problem with, and it's just coincidental that most Muslims happen to be Arab. I dont care what race Muslims are, it's Islam that I'm vehemently opposed to.

I'm also vehemently opposed to all forms of religions, I despise Catholicism, Christianity, Judism, Protestantism, Baptists, etc etc.

I feel that the way how nuns wear the habits is just as oppressive as how Muslim women wear the hijab. Also, the way how nuns and priests in the Christian faith waste their lives in the name of a religion is just so pathetic.

But back to my main point: I'm not racist against Arabs, they come in all shapes and forms, they're just as diverse as anybody else, and no one should lump them all together. I am against how oppressive the Islamic religion is, and here's my reasons:

*Islam oppresses women, it's too male-dominated.

*Muslim women are oppressed when they wear the hijab, whether they realize they're oppressed or not.

*arranged marriages in Islam also makes it so that Muslim women has no say in who they marry.

*honor killings, it's found to be acceptable in heavily fundamentalist islamic areas.

*Muslim women killed in Muslim countries by stoning or public executions for having children out of wedlock.

*I'm just as opposed to how muslims have to pray numerous times of the day and practice Ramadan as I am opposed to how Christians observe Lent and Ash Wednesday.

So don't go calling me racist, because I'm not and it just makes you look ignorant. It's one thing to be liberal, and I consider myself to be liberal as well, but I consider myself to be even more liberal because I'm against the conservative concept of all forms of religion, especially oppressive ones like those under Islam.

Please be careful with your ad hominem stuff (calling someone "ignorat"), which is against the rules. Please make sure you have read the MUST READ thread pinned in this forum, and if you haven't, post your acknowledgement in it.

Further, I'd caution you about your blanket statements about religious believers as well. The religion is one thing, but, you are also sometimes targeting all those who believe, and labeling them as pathetic or ignorant. Its a personal attack, and should be avoided.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Please be careful with your ad hominem stuff (calling someone "ignorat"), which is against the rules. Please make sure you have read the MUST READ thread pinned in this forum, and if you haven't, post your acknowledgement in it.

Further, I'd caution you about your blanket statements about religious believers as well. The religion is one thing, but, you are also sometimes targeting all those who believe, and labeling them as pathetic or ignorant. Its a personal attack, and should be avoided.

I would just like to point out that you guys (mods. & admins) are pretty selective on who you decide to call out on the "rules".

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
This is not a law, it's a resolution. Big difference.

Dont worry, you can continue your racism against the Muslim world without punishment.

With many in the Democratic establishment pressing for the US to give up more and more of its control and turn it over to world bodies such as the UN, it could lead to dire consequenses if they are successful.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
I would just like to point out that you guys (mods. & admins) are pretty selective on who you decide to call out on the "rules".

Please elaborate.

Generally, I'm pretty hands-off in here especially with the regulars, except when people get to sniping one another and being snarky or spilling arguments into inappropriate threads. Please don't tell me that the mods and admins only enforce the rules on a particular set of political orientations though because there is no credibility to that statement whatsoever.

Lostfan, his comment may be directed to just what he saw in this thread. Duke pretty much up and calls SouthsideDon a racist, and yet Don is the one that gets called out. Now you and I know that Duke has been called out before, but maybe Don doesn't, and if someone was just looking at this thread, it would looklike NSS was only calling out one poster.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
Lostfan, his comment may be directed to just what he saw in this thread. Duke pretty much up and calls SouthsideDon a racist, and yet Don is the one that gets called out. Now you and I know that Duke has been called out before, but maybe Don doesn't, and if someone was just looking at this thread, it would looklike NSS was only calling out one poster.

You may have a point, but I personally was going to let that play out. I feel like things like that are handled at the lowest level between posters and if I see signs that it might escalate, I say something. In this case, it's come and gone (Duke really hasn't dug in on his first comment, the poster defended his position, there hasn't been any real argument).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)
Also, for the record, I didn't think Duke's post was directed at Don. I thought it was a generalized comment.

I thought so too and I was waiting for him to say otherwise.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
Please elaborate.

Generally, I'm pretty hands-off in here especially with the regulars, except when people get to sniping one another and being snarky or spilling arguments into inappropriate threads. Please don't tell me that the mods and admins only enforce the rules on a particular set of political orientations though because there is no credibility to that statement whatsoever.

I wasn't meaning to attack any mods, and I didn't mean politics had anything to do with it. I just meant that sometimes things are OK to say and sometimes they get a warning, so it's not always clear to everybody what is acceptable.

You used to not be able to call something "gay" and now apparantly you can. Not that I am offended by it, it is just an example of an inconsistancy.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
It was a general comment towards everyone. I still dont understand the fuss about this, UN resolutions are non-binding so this has almost no implications on anything.

Sounds like the rest of the UN. :lolhitting

Yeah, its a non-binding resolution, but it shows support for religious oppression/ speech restriction laws.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
It was a general comment towards everyone. I still dont understand the fuss about this, UN resolutions are non-binding so this has almost no implications on anything.

For now. But not if certain Democrats have their way.

http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/481789403.html

WASHINGTON, Feb. 6 /Christian Newswire/ -- The U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC), which opponents say could destroy American sovereignty by imposing international rulings on American law, could reach the Senate within 60 days. Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) says she wants a 60-day timeframe for the State Department to complete its review so the Senate can move toward ratification of the UNCRC. During the Senate Confirmation hearing between Boxer and UN Ambassador-designate Susan Rice held on January 15, 2009, Boxer told Rice the UNCRC would protect "the most vulnerable people of society."

Opponents vehemently disagree. Under the Supremacy Clause (Article VI) of the U.S. Constitution, ratified treaties preempt state law. Since virtually all laws in the U.S. regarding children are state laws, this treaty would negate nearly 100% of existing American family law. Moreover, it would grant the government authority to override parental decisions by applying even to good parents a standard now only used against those convicted of abuse or neglect.

In the hearing, Rice promised to review the treaty but noted "challenges of domestic implementation." Rice also resisted a strict timeframe: "I don't have a sense of how long it will take us, in light of the many different things on our plate," she said.

Calling it a "complicated treaty," Rice expressed her commitment to the treaty's objectives, but when Rice concluded that she could not meet the Senator's strict timeframe, Boxer said they would take it up with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

If you would like more information about this topic, or would like to schedule an interview with ParentalRights.org President Michael Farris, please call Jim Bentley at (540) 751-1245.

Just the first step in trying to have the United States governed by the rest of the dirtbag world.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
I wasn't meaning to attack any mods, and I didn't mean politics had anything to do with it. I just meant that sometimes things are OK to say and sometimes they get a warning, so it's not always clear to everybody what is acceptable.

You used to not be able to call something "gay" and now apparantly you can. Not that I am offended by it, it is just an example of an inconsistancy.

Fair enough. Honestly you have every right to call out mods or admins if you feel like you need to. If I'm doing something wrong I want to know.

For now. But not if certain Democrats have their way.

http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/481789403.html

Just the first step in trying to have the United States governed by the rest of the dirtbag world.

Rest of the dirtbag world? Ask around, the rest of the world thinks were the dirtbags and they surely dont appreciate the way we breach their sovereignty economically and diplomatically.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
Rest of the dirtbag world? Ask around, the rest of the world thinks were the dirtbags and they surely dont appreciate the way we breach their sovereignty economically and diplomatically.

You gonna get indignant over my dirtbag comment or are you gonna actually say something as smart as you think you are about Boxer (D) wanting to subjugate our country to the laws of the international community?