UN anti-blasphemy measure

StrangeSox

You gonna get indignant over my dirtbag comment or are you gonna actually say something as smart as you think you are about Boxer (D) wanting to subjugate our country to the laws of the international community?

It's insane that you complain about other countries infringing on our sovereignty through IGO's and NGO's when we do that constantly. Hell if there's a UN resolution we dont like or isn't in our best interests we just ignore it. We should be subjugating ourselves to the international community more, not less. The days of America doing whatever the hell it wants without recourse ended 8 years ago.

Whatever, keep up the George Bush and Ronald Reagan "f*** you world" strategy and see where it gets us. I can tell you right now it will result in a global economic crisis (lol), a big war or both. Remember that a complete dismantling of the international system is how America gained it's hegemony...

One of the reasons why I felt Obama was a better pick for President was that he had some understanding of the fact that it is in the best interests of the US to cooperate internationally whenever possible. The Bush administration showed us how much damage can be done to our country if we overplay the bully card.

However, there is a BIG difference between cooperation, and subjection. The UN has showed us time and time again that they are not mature or effective or impartial enough to justify us giving up ANY of our sovereignty to them. I am not OK with any international body forcing themselves on us, and I am sure as hell not about to be OK with allowing an organization as ineffective and poorly managed as the UN to do so.

Its not time for that, and the UN is certainly not the right body either.

Someday in the far, far future, in a different world dynamic... it may be time to start down that road.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
I would just like to point out that you guys (mods. & admins) are pretty selective on who you decide to call out on the "rules".

Zelig, Alpha, Thank you for backing me up, I appreciate it. I do feel like I'm being targetted by NorthsideSox72. He always seems to nit-pick at my comments such as my post in this thread, how I made a bold prediction of Viciedo passing Frank Thomas' all-time Sox home run record, and how I said I was tired of how energy-conscious our country is becoming.

I felt I had a right to defend myself because I interpreted Nukem's comment as an accusation that I'm racist, which I'm not because I'm a white guy and my girlfriend's black! How much more non-racist can I get???

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
Zelig, Alpha, Thank you for backing me up, I appreciate it. I do feel like I'm being targetted by NorthsideSox72. He always seems to nit-pick at my comments such as my post in this thread, how I made a bold prediction of Viciedo passing Frank Thomas' all-time Sox home run record, and how I said I was tired of how energy-conscious our country is becoming.

I felt I had a right to defend myself because I interpreted Nukem's comment as an accusation that I'm racist, which I'm not because I'm a white guy and my girlfriend's black! How much more non-racist can I get???

Mr. Don...

I am not trying to pick any nits. Your comments were getting close to the line, you are relatively new here in the Buster, so I wanted to make sure you understood where the limits are. You labeled people here as ignorant, which is not appropriate.

And Nuke wasn't actually talking about you, he was making a snarky comment about the world's treatment of Muslims (in his view).

Finally, regarding the comment about Viciedo and Thomas, I referred to your post as "silly". It wasn't intended to go after you, I just thought it was silly, so I called it that. I apologize if that offended you. I make comments like that to people all the time, as do others, but I suppose I shouldn't assume that is OK with you.

By the way, as far as I can tell, you still have not read the MUST READ Thread at the top of this forum and posted your acknowledgement in it. This is necessary to continue posting in this forum.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)
One of the reasons why I felt Obama was a better pick for President was that he had some understanding of the fact that it is in the best interests of the US to cooperate internationally whenever possible. The Bush administration showed us how much damage can be done to our country if we overplay the bully card.

However, there is a BIG difference between cooperation, and subjection. The UN has showed us time and time again that they are not mature or effective or impartial enough to justify us giving up ANY of our sovereignty to them. I am not OK with any international body forcing themselves on us, and I am sure as hell not about to be OK with allowing an organization as ineffective and poorly managed as the UN to do so.

Its not time for that, and the UN is certainly not the right body either.

Someday in the far, far future, in a different world dynamic... it may be time to start down that road.

I agree with this, if I am reading it right. Basically, America needs to do a better job of international cooperation than it did the last 8 years for many reasons. But at the same time, we can't let the rest of the world, ESPECIALLY an organization as s***ty as the UN, push us around. (Editorial) We are America after all, and there is a reason that we're better than everybody else and have been for a long time, even if some people think we should just do whatever the rest of the world tells us to and fall in line.(/Editorial)

Edited by whitesoxfan101

(Editorial) We are America after all, and there is a reason that we're better than everybody else and have been for a long time, even if some people think we should just do whatever the rest of the world tells us to and fall in line.(/Editorial)

I dont care if this is your opinion or not, it's wrong. What constitutes being the best country? Sure, we've been great at accumulating wealth but wages in America have remained stagnant relative to inflation for 30 years now. Have you actually thought about this at all, or are you just being a homer?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
I dont care if this is your opinion or not, it's wrong. What constitutes being the best country? Sure, we've been great at accumulating wealth but wages in America have remained stagnant relative to inflation for 30 years now. Have you actually thought about this at all, or are you just being a homer?

I'm sure part of it is just being a homer, but if you really think we aren't that good and think that we are some kind of bad people for becoming the world's lone superpower, maybe you shouldn't live here. I don't really think I've ever met an American crazy enough to think that America is some kind of bad, inferior place, other than apparently you. Look no further than the worldwide impact our economic crisis is having if you think we aren't, by far, the most important and powerful nation on the planet. You'd be a PERFECT fit at the UN though, I will say that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
I'm sure part of it is just being a homer, but if you really think we aren't that good and think that we are some kind of bad people for becoming the world's lone superpower, maybe you shouldn't live here. I don't really think I've ever met an American crazy enough to think that America is some kind of bad, inferior place, other than apparently you. Look no further than the worldwide impact our economic crisis is having if you think we aren't, by far, the most important and powerful nation on the planet. You'd be a PERFECT fit at the UN though, I will say that.

He doesn't actually think America is an inferior place, he just thinks that a lot of people overlook our own obvious flaws due to blind patriotism and likes to call it out when he sees it (I know this from talking to him all the time).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
He doesn't actually think America is an inferior place, he just thinks that a lot of people overlook our own obvious flaws due to blind patriotism and likes to call it out when he sees it (I know this from talking to him all the time).

I don't overlook our flaws. I think our entire political system is a mess, find our justice system to be a bit of a joke, and am 50/50 on if we'll ever recover from the current economic mess we're suffering. That doesn't mean we should just back off and listen to/do whatever the rest of the world wants us to.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
I don't overlook our flaws. I think our entire political system is a mess, find our justice system to be a bit of a joke, and am 50/50 on if we'll ever recover from the current economic mess we're suffering. That doesn't mean we should just back off and listen to/do whatever the rest of the world wants us to.

:headbang

You'd be a PERFECT fit at the UN though, I will say that.

I thought about it but you have to be fluent in 3 languages and I'm only going to learn one. I'm picking between Malay, Portuguese, Japanese and Arabic for my foreign language minor and only one of those four is even recognized by the UN as an official language.

Pretty much. No country should be called the "best".

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
Pretty much. No country should be called the "best".

Isn't that just a position of moral relativism?

If we can accept something like "America is better than North Korea," then it should also hold true that some nation is objectively better than the rest on the whole. That would probably be impossible to quantify, but our lack of knowledge/ metrics doesn't change objective truths. This also doesn't mean that any one country is perfect or better than all the rest in every way.

Edited by StrangeSox

Isn't that just a position of moral relativism?

If we can accept something like "America is better than North Korea," then it should also hold true that some nation is objectively better than the rest on the whole. That would probably be impossible to quantify, but our lack of knowledge/ metrics doesn't change objective truths. This also doesn't mean that any one country is perfect or better than all the rest in every way.

Well no s*** America is a better place to live than North Korea, only a few people in NK would disagree with you there. But compare another industrialized country like Sweden with the US and how can you really say one is better than the other? The whole point of having ~200 countries is so each one can be different and fit the needs of it's people. If everyone just wanted to be exactly like the United States then you'd see a reflection of that in the policies of other industrialized countries. Of course that isn't the case.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
Well no s*** America is a better place to live than North Korea, only a few people in NK would disagree with you there. But compare another industrialized country like Sweden with the US and how can you really say one is better than the other? The whole point of having ~200 countries is so each one can be different and fit the needs of it's people. If everyone just wanted to be exactly like the United States then you'd see a reflection of that in the policies of other industrialized countries. Of course that isn't the case.

America > Sweden.

Yea, I said it.