Norm Van Lier

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Wow that's awful news, RIP. We can only hope Johnny Red isn't next, and that his health improves. I agree with you though kyyle, Norm should have been at Red's ceremony.

Red and his family made the VIP list. It wasn't the Bulls snubbing the Dutchman. I heard Boers speaking about Krause not being invited. He said Red had nothing bad to say about anyone-except Krause.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
He apparently had been in failing health. I had no idea, he has been in the studio with Kendall Gill most of the season, and even very recently, seeming to be fine.

I was talking to a guy at work a couple of days ago and we were remarking about how Norm really hadn't been looking good lately.

Damn :(

I met him while bartending at O'hare 5 years ago.

He could drink like a champ. He ordered a double shot of straight vodka at 7am. ( I must have poured 4 shots in one serving though) , He ordered 2 all together lol.

He was told me stories about when he coached

-(once kicked an unnamed players ass in the locker room for dogging it)

-he's not the biggest fan of Phil jackson

It was such a pleasure to talk with him though. I miss him already

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
I was talking to a guy at work a couple of days ago and we were remarking about how Norm really hadn't been looking good lately.

Yeah that's certainly possible and I didn't notice, I am in and out during the pre and post game shows in terms of watching. What a shame he's gone.

I really was hurt by this news, made me very sad to hear this. There are some people in sports that come into your home and become part of your life. They relate to you as a former athlete and a current fan. In Chicago we have been blessed with many of these people. Norm Van Lier and Red Kerr are perfect examples of these guys as they have lived each game with the common fan. I think Bulls pregame just won't ever be the same, and Bulls basketball won't either. We still have Kerr but it doesn't look like for much longer. Stormin' Norm left a mark on my sports life, and he will be truly missed.